Sponsored

Sparky Ranger work truck build

SparkyRanger

Member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 1, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
12
Reaction score
40
Location
Athens WI
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
New Ford owner. I was planning to order a ‘23 because I need a supercab/long box. I’m an electrical contractor so it’s going to be a work truck. So I went to my local dealer and went through with the salesman options for a basic XL with 4wd, tow package, and almost nothing else’s. So he enters options and the order is rejected because of ford being out of inventory of ranger engines. Awesome. So I left and look on auto trader to see how far I would have to go to get a supercab. Well theres a local trade at a different dealer! 2020 XLT, 301a, tow package, Ranch brand topper, weather tech mats, and only 5971 miles. An older guy bought it new and then due to failing health he sold it back to the dealer. So I ended up paying about the same for a nicer truck plus the topper. Pretty close to 36k with tax, title, license. First upgrade was a CVF downpipe and weather tech mats for back seats. My previous work “truck” was a 2001 Sienna van. It worked well but not enough room and my kids are getting big enough to come help sometimes. Also it has almost 280k on it and the rust is pretty bad (Wisconsin). I’m still using the van. I’m waiting for a cargo-ease full extension bed slide to build out the bed. Also ordered a van tech roof rack system for ladders and conduit etc.
E4BBB45D-57D6-4B2B-9BCA-B4EC9935F070.jpeg
6B1D10EB-30D2-47D7-B939-034CEB9CEFF0.jpeg
8AD454B2-DEF3-4C67-8609-05D409533F9E.jpeg
4946F011-0A0B-431C-BA02-4341EF8916C7.jpeg
A4B96DB6-31FD-4541-A6AC-F8372BBB1ABD.jpeg
Sponsored

 
OP
OP

SparkyRanger

Member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 1, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
12
Reaction score
40
Location
Athens WI
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Congratulations John,

That XLT SuperCab is going to be a great work truck - ask me how I know…

View attachment 173698

You’re really gonna love it - thank goodness we got you out of a minivan! Now, if we could just do something about those red tools. ;)
Looks nice! Other than the yellow tools haha:LOL:
Do you have the rear seat delete?
I needed the backseat for occasional kid hauling.
 

Grumpaw

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Jul 1, 2021
Threads
84
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
30,170
Location
Fishersville, Va.
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2021 Ranger, Now 2019 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
Welcome to the forum.
You have impeccable taste and great judgement....a Scab, in Iconic Silver...life is good !!!
 


Dereku

Well-Known Member
First Name
Derek
Joined
May 18, 2022
Threads
32
Messages
2,858
Reaction score
7,056
Location
Chicagoland Area
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Congratulations John,

That XLT SuperCab is going to be a great work truck - ask me how I know…

View attachment 173698

You’re really gonna love it - thank goodness we got you out of a minivan! Now, if we could just do something about those red tools. ;)
At least they are not yellow! ?
 

Dereku

Well-Known Member
First Name
Derek
Joined
May 18, 2022
Threads
32
Messages
2,858
Reaction score
7,056
Location
Chicagoland Area
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
And your first mod is a down pipe? Seems extreme! Makes everyone else look like amateurs. What other performance mods do you have planned?
 

MXGOLF

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Dec 5, 2020
Threads
41
Messages
1,371
Reaction score
5,867
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4-2007 Yamaha FZ6 and Sammy my 2026 Maverick
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Welcome to this great forum John and that awesome Ranger. I concur that Iconic Silver is awesome and so are the SCABS!!! I am sure you will enjoy your truck.
 

P. A. Schilke

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Threads
149
Messages
7,084
Reaction score
37,224
Location
GV Arizona
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
1
Looks nice! Other than the yellow tools haha:LOL:
Do you have the rear seat delete?
I needed the backseat for occasional kid hauling.
Hi John,

I have a long time ago decided to trash Crapsman tools other than hand tools... So my go to brands are Porter Cable, DeWalt and Milwaukee.

best,
Phil
 
OP
OP

SparkyRanger

Member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 1, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
12
Reaction score
40
Location
Athens WI
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mods I’m waiting for are a Vantech ladder rack system for on the topper. And a Cargo-Ease 1500lb full extension bed slide system. The minivan looked lame but was way more practical than a truck with everything just crammed in the back. The bed slide might take a couple weeks to come.
 
OP
OP

SparkyRanger

Member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 1, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
12
Reaction score
40
Location
Athens WI
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I got the ladder rack system installed. Room for two ladders and the conduit. Install was easy, just assemble, measure drill the fiberglass cap, and bolt it on. Everything is aluminum and very lightweight. I wish I could have used gray pipe but electrical conduit all has a bell end so the end cap wouldn’t fit or if cut off then it wouldn’t hold 10’ sticks. The bed slide is going to be a while. I will probably start driving it for work some days now. I’m very impressed with the power. Also mileage towing my enclosed trailer wasn’t as bad as I expected. It’s a 6x10 with 6’ inside height. I averaged 14 mpg. I did notice that if I dropped it down to 8th gear the mileage improved, that was driving at 65 mph. Otherwise it seems to be about 21 mpg
8B7D5EA6-8BEC-4EB2-AD63-FBB50FDBBFF3.jpeg
66F3C9C8-C41D-46AD-BCE1-0E76CC6EFCAD.jpeg
790F19C5-B4CF-4DCB-A670-E0953B52F7F0.jpeg
 
OP
OP

SparkyRanger

Member
First Name
John
Joined
Mar 1, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
12
Reaction score
40
Location
Athens WI
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry I’m a slacker. Here’s a one year update. I put on about 28k miles in the last year. No issues with anything.
After using it for a while with the bed slide, tools, and materials the height was nice and level which I thought looked good. However the ride was poor because it was only about 1/2” from contacting the bump stops. I added Eibach rear shocks and OME 2.2” rear leaf springs. That got me back to about stock height and it’s been that way for most of the last year.
IMG_1465.jpeg


I removed the rear seat cushions on the left and added some plywood to mount a packout wall plate with battery racks and a few other things that are better kept inside and dry. My tool bag sits on the flat board.
IMG_1466.jpeg


I’m currently at 34k miles so I changed the front and rear differential fluid with Redline 75w90, the transfer case with Redline D6, and the transmission with Valvoline ULV. Also added an ARB rear differential cover for fun, a PPE deep transmission pan, and a Fitz dipstick for the transmission.
IMG_1685.jpeg
IMG_1687.webp
IMG_1686.jpeg
IMG_1688.jpeg


I would still prefer to have the back a little lower so when it gets a little warmer I think I’ll remove a leaf from the rear springs. The lighter OME kit has three leafs plus the second stage. And this one has four. I am hopeful that will drop it about an inch.

I did also install a UPR dual port catch can which collects a lot of nasty stuff. And a Redarc trailer brake controller.
No complaints so far. I probably average about 18 mpg which I’m happy with, I’m almost always near gvwr and always have ladders on top so that doesn’t seem unreasonable.
Sponsored

 
 








Top