So Long, Farewell .... Finally caved to the dealers "Pressure"

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I dunno man, Both turbos and the cam phaser..
Hopefully it works out for you but that would give me reason to back out.

Not sure how ford will handle the field actions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Update:

Apparently the sales person either misunderstood or had her head in a dark place when she talked to her service manager. The issue with the "Turbos" was simply a lower than normal boast on one of the turbos (probably carbon). The issue with the "Timing Chain" is a tiny leak on the timing chain cover. As for the FSA's, those are simply issues on other vehicles that Ford has identified and my vehicle needs to be checked for.

I was shocked when the sales lady told me the issues because the truck drove so well, which it wouldn't do with 2 bad turbos and a bad timing chain, so I called the Ford dealer who had "confirmed the diagnosis", and they told me the straight skinny.

I then called the service manager of the dealer I like and he confirmed what Ford told me.

With Ford being weeks out, I'm getting the truck today with a written guarantee for all issues and a scheduled appointment for Ford to fix them. If there is a charge for FSA's, my dealers will pay for them. I was just curious.

I'm also getting a full tank of gas. I feel much better about the whole thing.

Last edited:

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
If you're someone who cares about the detailing, avoid dealer-offered detail service. An 18-year old with a dirty microfiber making $9/hr is a dangerous thing.

Lightning Blue is a classic. She thicc though. It sounds like the "issues" are actually non-issues, so hopefully it works out for you in the end.

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If you're someone who cares about the detailing, avoid dealer-offered detail service. An 18-year old with a dirty microfiber making $9/hr is a dangerous thing.

Lightning Blue is a classic. She thicc though. It sounds like the "issues" are actually non-issues, so hopefully it works out for you in the end.
I'm fairly certain the "detailing" is running it through their touch free car wash ... LOL ... but they are gonna get the teenager into the bed and get the dust out ... which is all I really care about.

My first step in buying a new to me vehicle is a good cleaning, clay bar and then a good coating of ceramic. I really like that I don't get the bug sticking thing when the ceramic is on. I did my trike almost 3 years ago and bugs still don't stick to it. I do the wand wash thing and 99% of the dirt and bugs comes off without touching it, and the water still beads.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I'm fairly certain the "detailing" is running it through their touch free car wash ... LOL ... but they are gonna get the teenager into the bed and get the dust out ... which is all I really care about.

My first step in buying a new to me vehicle is a good cleaning, clay bar and then a good coating of ceramic. I really like that I don't get the bug sticking thing when the ceramic is on. I did my trike almost 3 years ago and bugs still don't stick to it. I do the wand wash thing and 99% of the dirt and bugs comes off without touching it, and the water still beads.
If they have the touchless wash that's definitely the way to go. Our Subaru dealer does. Our Ford dealer does NOT (nor do they offer a detailing service). I'm picky about my paint, as it seems you are. What type of ceramic coating do you use? The real stuff or a quick application like Meguiars?

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If they have the touchless wash that's definitely the way to go. Our Subaru dealer does. Our Ford dealer does NOT (nor do they offer a detailing service). I'm picky about my paint, as it seems you are. What type of ceramic coating do you use? The real stuff or a quick application like Meguiars?
I use McKeys 37 ... definitely a pain to do, but, lasts forever ... well ... 2.75 years so far ... My trike is black an a pain to keep clean. I like riding it, not cleaning it, but I do like it to pop! The ceramic pretty much causes the dirt especially the bugs to not "stick".

My local car was has a ceramic "treatment" that is available in the wand wash that basically reinforces the ceramic I've done (at least I think so). They also have a touches wash that has the ceramic as an option. Unfortunately, Alan don't ride the trike through the touch free ... :blush:. I have been taking the truck through that option. The longer the ceramic lasts, the less I have to redo it.

My procedure is a good cleaning, clay bar, then a thorough wipe with isopropyl alcohol. Then and only then do I do the ceramic sealer. I do a 2' x 4' section at a time.

The new F-150 is gonna be a pain to do, won't fit in the garage ... LOL. Gonna have to wait for a cloudy day, or do small sections at a time when there is shade in front of the garage. I'll figure it out. The Ranger took me two days to do, guessing the F-150 is gonna take about 3-4 days.

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Okay, guess it officially good bye. The truck was delivered today with a full tank of gas and a voucher for $500 towards my next set of tires for my "inconvenience". It's why I keep coming back to them. They understand the importance of customer service.

Truck runs just as silky smooth as it did on the test drive. Got an appointment for mid Nov to get the leak fixed and the turbo issue taken care of, they will also do the FSA's as necessary.

So to misquote my dad, It's been real, it's been fun ... and it's been real fun.

Loved being here and will peek in time to time. For now, need to spend some time in the F-150 Forum. Y'all be good or at least careful.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Well before you go, enjoy the sounds of rain when it comes down..

F150s' ridiculously loud during heavy rain due to paper thin aluminum roof.

Nuke83

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport FX2
21B10 is a flash to the computers that will "potentially" prevent you from getting the cam phaser rattle that the 3.5's are notorious for. I believe it increases oil flow at startup to reduce wear. If the 3.5 is already displaying CP rattle, that FSA will do nothing, HOWEVER, once you have that FSA completed (BY THE DEADLINE), you'll receive extended coverage for a year to 9/1/22 to replace cam phasers should they display the issue or fail in that time.

BUT, the deadline was 8/31/21 to have that done to get the extension, so you may want to try and negotiate that with your dealer since any damage done has been done and future CP replacements would be on your dime. Looks like the previous owner ignored the notifications to have this FSA completed in time.

"Customers that receive the 21B10 repair prior to August 31, 2021 will receive coverage for a pro-rated cam phaser replacement (if needed) under a separate Customer Service Program (21N03) for one year until September 1, 2022."

The 3.5's also have issue with timing chain wear, so if they have to pull the cover to replace a gasket, it would be worth having the chain replaced while they're in there.
Sponsored