First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
To me the thought of running a snorkel on a late model truck for anything other than aesthetics is pointless. If you ever are in a situation where it is actually needed you can pretty much kiss all the electronics in the truck goodbye.

As for dust. You would be surprised at how little actually gets into the OEM filter housing when running in extremely dusty areas. I used to oversee fleet maintenance for a large construction company and we had several trucks with intake snorkels and the air filters on the ones running them went through air filters twice as fast. They would either need a new air filter or have the existing one blown out after 3K miles. If neither was done the filter would be completely clogged within 5K miles. The same model trucks without snorkels could easily go 12K miles before the filters were in need of being cleaned or replacement.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
To me the thought of running a snorkel on a late model truck for anything other than aesthetics is pointless. If you ever are in a situation where it is actually needed you can pretty much kiss all the electronics in the truck goodbye.
Have you ever run a snorkel on a rig?

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
not even if they paid me

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
These are both of my rigs. I sold the FJ to buy the Ranger. I believe in the snorkel’s function. They aren’t for everyone and not everyone needs one. I think they look cool and I think they have performance. The labor cost just as much as the snorkel and, yes, I’m cutting into the truck. My truck. Just like I’ve done to my previous rigs.

9A7A29EE-4998-4D8F-B829-2894015DAF39.jpeg

D3902DEF-A594-428D-A5FD-3D18E927F921.jpeg

F83B2AFF-ABCC-4979-8CE7-CDCBE0841546.jpeg

0592D055-08C9-4DCC-9F6F-949E7F39A100.png

26BA9AFC-3CC8-4493-A668-811FBF0C51B8.jpeg

953D04D6-7230-43B8-9EFE-3A6767BD46BA.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
These are both of my rigs. I sold the FJ to buy the Ranger. I believe in the snorkel’s function. They aren’t for everyone and not everyone needs one. I think they look cool and I think they have performance. The labor cost just as much as the snorkel and, yes, I’m cutting into the truck. My truck. Just like I’ve done to my previous rigs.

9A7A29EE-4998-4D8F-B829-2894015DAF39.jpeg

D3902DEF-A594-428D-A5FD-3D18E927F921.jpeg

F83B2AFF-ABCC-4979-8CE7-CDCBE0841546.jpeg

0592D055-08C9-4DCC-9F6F-949E7F39A100.png

26BA9AFC-3CC8-4493-A668-811FBF0C51B8.jpeg

953D04D6-7230-43B8-9EFE-3A6767BD46BA.jpeg
Hi Vince.

What do you do for a low mount alternator like USA Ranger has?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Vince.

What do you do for a low mount alternator like USA Ranger has?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Ask the engineer for a recommendation

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

GtownRanger

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Engineer
Do not submerge the vehicle.
Interesting topic here and I would like to learn something. I was recently off road this past weekend in some very remote areas. Old logging roads in northern Quebec. I had the wife in the car it was nearing dusk and I had a few water crossings. I don't have a snorkel but recently contemplated one. I came up to a big washout and thought ohh boy. So I got out of the truck and figured I would do the safe thing and walk through it first. That was the smart thing to do I thought and it paid off. I picked my line and stayed to the bank. I have heard the water should only come up to the half way point of the rim? I have a 3 inch level running 33s. So if one were going a reasonable speed (slow) what is the real breaking point of getting water into the intake which I guess is the biggest fear correct? I mean the intake is so much higher than the half way point of the tire. Obviously water into the cab is never a good thing. But anyone chime in here? When do you have to be really afraid? Now on the snorkel topic if I had to turn around on that track it wouldn't have been good. It was hours drive over rough track in the dark. I have great lighting but that kind of drive isn't really fun at night.

So what's the deal?

Appreciate it

Jeff

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I don’t think this is something to really argue about. If the man wants a snorkel then by all means let’s see that puppy installed. I think it would look good on an off road outfitted Ranger.

Factory warranty will cover the alternator if it decides to die. I’ve soaked my alternator at the car wash (full blast on rinse right on it) just to see if it would throw a fit and it didn't skip a beat. I though it best to test it out in town and not in a river.

To each their own gentlemen and gentlewoman, let’s not get too bent out of shape over someone else’s dreams.

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting topic here and I would like to learn something. I was recently off road this past weekend in some very remote areas. Old logging roads in northern Quebec. I had the wife in the car it was nearing dusk and I had a few water crossings. I don't have a snorkel but recently contemplated one. I came up to a big washout and thought ohh boy. So I got out of the truck and figured I would do the safe thing and walk through it first. That was the smart thing to do I thought and it paid off. I picked my line and stayed to the bank. I have heard the water should only come up to the half way point of the rim? I have a 3 inch level running 33s. So if one were going a reasonable speed (slow) what is the real breaking point of getting water into the intake which I guess is the biggest fear correct? I mean the intake is so much higher than the half way point of the tire. Obviously water into the cab is never a good thing. But anyone chime in here? When do you have to be really afraid? Now on the snorkel topic if I had to turn around on that track it wouldn't have been good. It was hours drive over rough track in the dark. I have great lighting but that kind of drive isn't really fun at night.

So what's the deal?

Appreciate it

Jeff
I’ve been in some really tough situations off roading so my tolerance level is quite high. Can’t say that I get afraid. There’s always a solution to everything. You can’t wheel your truck hard and not expect something to go wrong. Something will always go wrong. You can prepare all you want for every situation in your head, but there will always be something you don’t think of. A busted radiator hose can screw everything up. Luckily one of my buddies had a tire tube in his truck. We double wrapped the inside of the hose with the tire tube and then tied the outside of the hose with the remainder. I was 150 kms from anything close to a mechanic but we made it work. I had a clutch go out on me and found a way to make it work on the trail. Even if something like a snorkel only adds a 1% difference to reducing my risk or enhancing my performance, even with a low lying alternator, I’ll take it. Shit will always go wrong. But complaining about it gets you nowhere.

The best tool or advice I can give is find good trail buddies. Everyone is an expert on these forums but not many have real life experience on tough trails or hardship camping.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

So what's the deal?

Appreciate it

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Let me start which is to commend you that you did a walk around/through and planned your route. We taught an advanced off road course that implored this. Great Job!! Get out of your vehicle and mentally map your route and vehicle placement! Kudos!!! There are a couple posts about the problem with the low mounted alternator to which some posted...get a waterproof alternator??? Never heard of such. It is a concern as a few folks trashed their low mounted alternator. I only wish to inform folks of concerns. Not stop them from having fun, but wish to say...adding a snorkel does not mean you can submerge the vehicle up to the hood without considering other factors.

The old Granada/Monarch vehicles had a low mount alternator and in winter in Michigan with road salt encursted roads, just trashed altenators. I felt that the Car Guy did the customer a disservice in this design. I was just a lowly engineer at the time but filed this in my memory banks. So with 2019 Ranger, I was disappointed to see the alternator stuck down at the bottom of the Truck. Aussie diesel is high mounted...they get it! I think the design engineers of FEAD took the easy way out. I would have insisted in changing the FEAD. Especially since we do not have to deal with a power steering pump. FEAD is Front End Accessory Drive.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I don’t think this is something to really argue about. If the man wants a snorkel then by all means let’s see that puppy installed. I think it would look good on an off road outfitted Ranger.

Factory warranty will cover the alternator if it decides to die. I’ve soaked my alternator at the car wash (full blast on rinse right on it) just to see if it would throw a fit and it didn't skip a beat. I though it best to test it out in town and not in a river.

To each their own gentlemen and gentlewoman, let’s not get too bent out of shape over someone else’s dreams.
Haha I definitely agree with this. I can’t imagine ever really needing a snorkel. And most of the guys that I work with that have them admit. It’s basically for off road cred more than oh shit I plan to run thru 4 feet of water.
Sponsored