OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
My 2011, bought new. Foolishly traded her in for aTacoma. I'm now in the process of trading the Tacoma for a 2021 Ranger.
E63C7C8E-62FE-4035-85C3-88DD986B35AF.jpeg
9CBB1169-46E0-4123-9E59-40AAD626032E.jpeg
A0147DD7-8D3D-4D8F-9781-791F7644E6B1.jpeg
Good move! :like:
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
My 98 XLT. It was just a 4cyl MT 2wd, but it was a good little truck, except for the parking brake that froze up multiple times every winter. If it wasn't for that, I'd have kept that truck a lot longer. Living in apts back then, I wasn't in a good position to mess with it until I got it fixed.

49768883193_d9771cdd8b.jpg

Joedanger22

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Aircraft Assembler
04 ranger...over 260k miles. Had the Vulcan 3.0 valve prob around 95k. Threw 2 new heads on it. That thing held up for another 165k before I traded it in on the 2020. Only issue was the clutch went out around 240k miles. Still rollin when I left it at the dealer. Got it with 7 miles on it for $13500 in Surise FL. No shit. Sticker was 19k. I'll send an update to both soon.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 2011, bought new. Foolishly traded her in for aTacoma. I'm now in the process of trading the Tacoma for a 2021 Ranger.
E63C7C8E-62FE-4035-85C3-88DD986B35AF.jpeg
9CBB1169-46E0-4123-9E59-40AAD626032E.jpeg
A0147DD7-8D3D-4D8F-9781-791F7644E6B1.jpeg
Hi George,

A bit of a back story seeing your cup holder interior shot... Ranger started life with no real though for cup holders back in 1982Âľ. There were a few proposals but nothing really happened until we went with the single point crash sensor when the cover for the sensor and the stick shift boot. Two shallow non viable cup holders were present....I knew they would result in customer complaints but the shift boot engineer and his management said no dice to changing this cover.

So I noodled with one of my engineers on how we might force a change. The engineer, Jim W. said that he would think about it and see what could be done. As luck would have it we were scheduled to have a Ranger Management drive that Jim was coordinating. It would take place on what we called the Dexter Eval Loop out of Dexter Michigan. So the day arrives and we converge on Dexter Kroger parking lot with 8 or 9 Rangers. Half way through the drive rotation, Jim announced a water break and handed out bottles of water....then to my surprise and delight Jim said to get back behind the wheel and USE THE CUP HOLDER. I knew this would result in spilled bottles, bottles under the seat and so on.

During the debrief of the Management...number one was to fix the cup holders... So Mr. Shift boot engineer had to eat crow and redesign the cover to provide suitable function.... Jim, bless his heart, died of a massive heart attack a few months later... RIP Jim!

best,
Phil

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
My first Ranger, a '98 XLT extended cab, flare side, 4x4. It had a 4.0L V6 and got about 14mpg. Pardon the black box on the front. I was young and dumb and had a license plate on the front that I'm not too proud of these days. I think I owned this around 2007.

Other than the craptastic fuel mileage, it was a great little truck.
old ranger.jpg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Hi George,

A bit of a back story seeing your cup holder interior shot... Ranger started life with no real though for cup holders back in 1982Âľ. There were a few proposals but nothing really happened until we went with the single point crash sensor when the cover for the sensor and the stick shift boot. Two shallow non viable cup holders were present....I knew they would result in customer complaints but the shift boot engineer and his management said no dice to changing this cover.

So I noodled with one of my engineers on how we might force a change. The engineer, Jim W. said that he would think about it and see what could be done. As luck would have it we were scheduled to have a Ranger Management drive that Jim was coordinating. It would take place on what we called the Dexter Eval Loop out of Dexter Michigan. So the day arrives and we converge on Dexter Kroger parking lot with 8 or 9 Rangers. Half way through the drive rotation, Jim announced a water break and handed out bottles of water....then to my surprise and delight Jim said to get back behind the wheel and USE THE CUP HOLDER. I knew this would result in spilled bottles, bottles under the seat and so on.

During the debrief of the Management...number one was to fix the cup holders... So Mr. Shift boot engineer had to eat crow and redesign the cover to provide suitable function.... Jim, bless his heart, died of a massive heart attack a few months later... RIP Jim!

best,
Phil
My preferred vessel for my morning coffee is a plain old ceramic mug. In my '03 Ranger (as in just about every vehicle), the cup holders were too small for a typical mug. My solution was just to place the mug on the middle "hump." This worked surprisingly well, as the vinyl had just enough grip to it that I could do reasonable cornering without sending the mug flying*, and I quickly learned just how fast I could take corners without spilling a drop.

I once agreed to take a roommate to the airport at 4am, and he was clearly nervous about my decision to have an unsecured nearly full mug of coffee like that. Multiple times during the drive as I started to turn he would lurch towards grabbing it, then slowly pull away as he realized he was in no danger of getting coffee on his shoes. When we pulled up to the terminal, he noted his amazement that I was able to consistently corner at just the right speed to bring the coffee up to just below the rim, but never spill it, and that I was able to accurately adjust my cornering as the coffee level decreased as I drank it.

*I did once absentmindedly go through a roundabout and forget the mug was there, but we won't discuss that further.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
There are some good looking Rangers here for sure. Several years back I was looking for a little truck to piddle with which was to keep me out of the wife's hair. I started looking for a Ranger, and it was near impossible to find one that wasn't to much money or completely wore out. Sadly I gave up that search, and found a '92 two owner Toyota pick-up. The new Ranger finally came out, and I sold the little truck for twice my money. I've never sold any car for that much profit. The market for small trucks in my area is crazy.

It wasn't the Ranger I wanted, but it turned out pretty good.

100_4799.JPG

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
My preferred vessel for my morning coffee is a plain old ceramic mug. In my '03 Ranger (as in just about every vehicle), the cup holders were too small for a typical mug. My solution was just to place the mug on the middle "hump." This worked surprisingly well, as the vinyl had just enough grip to it that I could do reasonable cornering without sending the mug flying*, and I quickly learned just how fast I could take corners without spilling a drop.

I once agreed to take a roommate to the airport at 4am, and he was clearly nervous about my decision to have an unsecured nearly full mug of coffee like that. Multiple times during the drive as I started to turn he would lurch towards grabbing it, then slowly pull away as he realized he was in no danger of getting coffee on his shoes. When we pulled up to the terminal, he noted his amazement that I was able to consistently corner at just the right speed to bring the coffee up to just below the rim, but never spill it, and that I was able to accurately adjust my cornering as the coffee level decreased as I drank it.

*I did once absentmindedly go through a roundabout and forget the mug was there, but we won't discuss that further.
A coffee crisis :LOL:...

1640975268108.png

Last edited: