Which would you do Fluid film or rubberized undercoating

• Total voters

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Is the new Ranger that susceptible to rust? More than thirty years ago, it was necessary to undercoat a vehicle here in central Illinois. New vehicles for the last 30+ years have not needed undercoating. Most of them I have owned during this time actually recommended that undercoating was not necessary, so I never had them undercoated and have not had any rust issues. I have a 2020 Ranger on order and didn't plan on undercoating it, but maybe I should?
Thanks!
Definitely no more than any other vehicle on the road. There are pickups around here in the 2015 range that already have bubbling over the rear wheels and cab corners so here it’s something that needs to be considered from the beginning if you plan to keep your vehicle any decent length of time.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Had Krown applied yesterday... they didn’t have to drill many holes at all. One in each corner of the cab and I’m pretty sure one in each door but I forgot to look.

BE9D21F0-1938-4EFD-B038-9FFF1E29FB95.jpeg

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
I'm spraying cosmoline (CRC Marine Corrosion Protector), Fluid Film, and Wool Wax. Using cosmoline on the areas outside of the frame that get blasted with salt and brine. Spraying fluid film inside of my body panels and wool wax on/inside the frame and under the rest of the truck.

This is a pretty informative video that helped me choose products to use on my Ranger;

Nax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer
I live in Montreal (aka winters are very salty) so I have a few questions..
  • How long should I trust the factory rust prevention coating?
  • How often do you guys get your vehicles treated and how much do you normally pay?
  • Have you had any rust problems so far?
Cheers!

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
As a VT resident i'm interested in the answers/recommendations to this question as well!

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
I have one word for you - Krown.
They have a rust proofing treatment and originated in Canada. They have a number of franchised dealers in Canada as well as VT, NY and NH.
I live in MA, and just had my 2020 done at a dealer in NY.
They use a high temperature / high pressure spray/fog oil and cover the entire undercarriage as well as inside all the hollow panels.
This oil creeps into all the panels and fasteners to protect them.
The vehicle will drip quite a bit for a few days, and the process needs to be repeated annually. I plan on holding onto my truck for along time, so I feel that it is well worth it.

Deleted member 1634

As is customary here in Minnesota and other Great Lakes states rust proofing and undercoating is almost standard on every new vehicle. I believe the ones on my truck is said to last a few years. I'll keep an eye on things and get it redone as required. But I've also coated the rocker panels, bottoms of the doors, and portion of the bed in front of the rear tire in bedliner myself. Every other vehicle I've owned with exposed steel rocker panels have started rusting within the first 5 years. Pretty cheap and easy to do by yourself too.

IMG_20200530_160415912_HDR.jpg

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
fluid film has been my go two for a long time. from inside the bed walls, to the back side of the steel bumpers.i spray the whole under carriage in the fall every year 6 cans first round(inside frame holes included) then 3 there after .its cheap and works.

Nax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer
They have a rust proofing treatment and originated in Canada. They have a number of franchised dealers in Canada as well as VT, NY and NH.
They use a high temperature / high pressure spray/fog oil and cover the entire undercarriage as well as inside all the hollow panels.
The vehicle will drip quite a bit for a few days, and the process needs to be repeated annually. I plan on holding onto my truck for along time, so I feel that it is well worth it.
Awesome, just checked them out. Much cheaper than I expected!

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Lanoline and Cosmoline are my go to. Cosmoline for the high spray areas and then Lanoline for everything else.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
fluid film has been my go two for a long time. from inside the bed walls, to the back side of the steel bumpers.i spray the whole under carriage in the fall every year 6 cans first round(inside frame holes included) then 3 there after .its cheap and works.
Yep. I fluid film (with the 360* extension sprayer hose) inside my doors, inner bed sides, bumpers and inside the frame. I use the CRC marine coating for my frame sides and bottom. I don't bother with the aluminum front fenders or tailgate.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Yep. I fluid film (with the 360* extension sprayer hose) inside my doors, inner bed sides, bumpers and inside the frame. I use the CRC marine coating for my frame sides and bottom. I don't bother with the aluminum front fenders or tailgate.",

While the aluminum panels will not rust, they are subject to corrosion. Also, the tailgate and hood have steel reinforcements riveted into them, so you might reconsider omitting them from your treatment.

ClamCakes

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Saber XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Harry, Where did you get yours done in NY? Thinking about having it done myself. Did they drill holes or use the existing access points?

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Helllo Jared,

I went to Matthews Automotive in Salem, NY.
Mine was the first of the new Rangers that they worked on, so they took their time (about 2.5 hrs.) figuring the best access points. They used whatever removable rubber plugs Ford provided and drilled and plugged where needed. I was very satisfied with their work!
I removed the tailgate access panel beforehand to make it easier to access the steel reinforcement strips. Seeing that Krown franchises shops to do their work which is warranteed, I am guessing that any dealer would be good, but I highly reccomend Matthews.
Don't hesitate to tell them that Harry sent you.

kneeler

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariet
I live in Montreal (aka winters are very salty) so I have a few questions..
  • How long should I trust the factory rust prevention coating?
  • How often do you guys get your vehicles treated and how much do you normally pay
I’m 200km from you in Ontario. I’ve used Krown. Iirc it was less than $200.. I’ve always Krown’d my cars/trucks. I’ve had no rust issue on cars up to 14 years old. I do it yearly, in the SPRING. Don’t park your car/truck in your driveway the first day or two.. it drips a lot, marking the driveway.
Sponsored

Reactions: Nax