Running Board + Bed Lights Question

MJL88

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
So I already installed LED strip lighting for my running boards and tied them into the cargo light wire so they come on when I open a door, hit the cargo light button inside or hit unlock on the key fob. Ultimately I want the same setup for my bed lights and while I know LEDs don’t draw a huge load I’m worried about having too much on the one circuit. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Should be just fine. LED strips draw about 2 amps per 5 meters. I would guess that is approximately the total length including both running boards and bed lighting.

OP
OP
MJL88

MJL88

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Should be just fine. LED strips draw about 2 amps per 5 meters. I would guess that is approximately the total length including both running boards and bed lighting.
It would be 20 feet total. 5 feet per strip. 2 for running boards and 2 for the bed. So roughly 6 meters.

Last edited:

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
It would be 20 feet total. 5 feet per strip. 2 for running boards and 2 for the bed. So roughly 6 meters.
2.4 amps. I think you should be okay.

I did run a relay to mine, because I also have a switch that turns on the bed lights.
I believe the schematic was posted by Bludrok.
DD7E061C-0CC2-4B47-AC44-FA4A4A3134A0.png

OP
OP
MJL88

MJL88

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
2.4 amps. I think you should be okay.

I did run a relay to mine, because I also have a switch that turns on the bed lights.
I believe the schematic was posted by Bludrok.
DD7E061C-0CC2-4B47-AC44-FA4A4A3134A0.png
Thanks.

I’ve considered just finding a constant hot circuit and putting a pressure switch on the tailgate so the bed lights power on when I open the tailgate but I think I prefer the idea of them coming on with the cargo lights regardless of tailgate open or not.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Thanks.

I’ve considered just finding a constant hot circuit and putting a pressure switch on the tailgate so the bed lights power on when I open the tailgate but I think I prefer the idea of them coming on with the cargo lights regardless of tailgate open or not.
That circuit will do that. And allows you to draw from a source rated for the lights you are adding. I ran directly to the battery.

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
So I already installed LED strip lighting for my running boards and tied them into the cargo light wire so they come on when I open a door, hit the cargo light button inside or hit unlock on the key fob. Ultimately I want the same setup for my bed lights and while I know LEDs don’t draw a huge load I’m worried about having too much on the one circuit. Any thoughts on this?
Where did you run the ground wire for the running board lights to?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Matt,

This question comes up from time to time. Anywhere on the body or chassis can work if clean metal. Scrape away some paint maybe, but do not just ground and forget. Paint over the area, spray with some wax based compound for battery terminals or otherwise protect the area...you then have a robust ground for years to come... I like the star washers as they bite into the metal to give very good ground path for electrical items. JMO.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
MJL88

MJL88

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
I actually ran the power wire under the trim and behind the back seat under the carpet/backing and did the same with the ground and grounded it on one of the rear seat mounting bolts.

393558D1-FA3D-465B-B58C-4130B96E882E.jpeg

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
I actually ran the power wire under the trim and behind the back seat under the carpet/backing and did the same with the ground and grounded it on one of the rear seat mounting bolts.

393558D1-FA3D-465B-B58C-4130B96E882E.jpeg
That's a great idea! Thanks for that. I plan on doing this when the weather eventually gets above 50⁰f where I'm at.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Can you elaborate on the cargo light wiring part? Where did you hide the wires and how did you tap into the + wire. Any pictures? Thanks!

OP
OP
MJL88

MJL88

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Can you elaborate on the cargo light wiring part? Where did you hide the wires and how did you tap into the + wire. Any pictures? Thanks!
If you’re referring to the running board lights, if you pull the door floor trim on driver side back seat there’s a white wire with green stripe, that’s the cargo light wire. I drilled a small hole in this area to run the LED wires into the cab, tie into the white/green wire, routed the + and - under the trim, behind the rear seats to the other side, drilled a hole to run the LED wires on passenger side in. I grounded it on one of the rear bolts holding the back seat in. I used heat shrink butt connectors to tie everything together, rubber grommets in the holes I drilled and filled empty space in the grommets with clear silicone.

I ran the bed light wires down this hole:
EEFEE91F-292E-48BB-B3BE-56B9C62D4523.jpeg
out the bottom and into the same hole I used for the running board lights. Tied them in the same way.

Hopefully that makes some sense, if not I’ll try to get more detailed pictures of the whole setup. Too cold out right now. ?

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
If you’re referring to the running board lights, if you pull the door floor trim on driver side back seat there’s a white wire with green stripe, that’s the cargo light wire. I drilled a small hole in this area to run the LED wires into the cab, tie into the white/green wire, routed the + and - under the trim, behind the rear seats to the other side, drilled a hole to run the LED wires on passenger side in. I grounded it on one of the rear bolts holding the back seat in. I used heat shrink butt connectors to tie everything together, rubber grommets in the holes I drilled and filled empty space in the grommets with clear silicone.

I ran the bed light wires down this hole:
EEFEE91F-292E-48BB-B3BE-56B9C62D4523.jpeg
out the bottom and into the same hole I used for the running board lights. Tied them in the same way.

Hopefully that makes some sense, if not I’ll try to get more detailed pictures of the whole setup. Too cold out right now. ?
Awesome explanation. I‘ll post pics once my boards are installed with lights. Much appreciated!

OP
OP
MJL88

MJL88

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Awesome explanation. I‘ll post pics once my boards are installed with lights. Much appreciated!
Happy to help!
Sponsored