Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Are your wife or kids out cruising while you are sleeping? :shock:
Nope.....
I hit the little refresh button in the App, the truck makes a muted "ching ching" sound like a bell under a pillow from the firewall area and then it updates my air pressure and stuff.
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
I would guess it’s the last known pressure when it was active. After all the system is designed to give you a warning if the vehicle is moving not while sitting with the engine off. Here’s a test. Check all 4 pressures when you get home. Then air down one tire say 30 minutes to an hour after the truck has been sitting. Then update and see if it reads the same as when you parked or the lower pressure.
Nope again...

It will display last updated 5:30 PM (when I parked the truck) and tires all around 32 PSI. Then later at night or the next morning I hit the "refresh" button in the app on my phone and it takes a second, then the tire pressure changes to 28 PSI now that the tires have cooled and night has come. In that time the tires never rotated.

Somehow the TPMS in the tire is either transmitting all of the time, or the truck sends a "wake up" signal to the TPMS in the tire to sample and send data. If that's the case it can liesten or recieve information 24/7 regardless of rotation and that would use significantly less battery than transmitting all of the time, but still uses battery.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Then why can my Ford App give me an updated Tire Pressure at 2:30 AM that's different than when I parked it a 5:00 PM?
Tire pressure goes up when warm. Pressure will be hier after driving, and during day. @ 230 am your tires are probly rested, coolest, would expect lowest pressure then.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Tire pressure goes up when warm. Pressure will be hier after driving, and during day. @ 230 am your tires are probly rested, coolest, would expect lowest pressure then.
his comment is not referring to uncertainty about why the tire pressure changes. he is referring to uncertainty about how the tpms can access that data.

GTGallop said:
i run my tires at 32 psi
32? thats not super low?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
I know why it goes up and down.
The point is that it does go up and down so I know I'm getting a new pressure reading and not an old static one. Meaning, the TPMS is working even when the tire is not rotating. Something else wakes it up.

his comment is not referring to uncertainty about why the tire pressure changes. he is referring to uncertainty about how the tpms can access that data.

32? thats not super low?
30psi with stock tires is the recommended factory cold PSI.
32 is pretty close and keeps the on highway gas mileage good w/o cooking the tires with heat and swelling.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
32 is pretty close and keeps the on highway gas mileage good w/o cooking the tires with heat and swelling.
oh interesting. our truck says 38 is recc for stock. im assuming we have different stock wheels, but even then didnt realize there would be such a difference.

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
If the recommended stock cold tire pressure is 30 psi, what would be the recommended cold pressure for 255/80R17 tires? The same?
30 psi is what my Ford pass app is telling me the recommended cold pressure is.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I know why it goes up and down.
The point is that it does go up and down so I know I'm getting a new pressure reading and not an old static one. Meaning, the TPMS is working even when the tire is not rotating. Something else wakes it up.

Truck can ping the tpms whenever it feels like it. As you have noticed. Rotation has nothing to do with anything thats an internet myth. Correlation does not me causation.
*Except on some vehicles that have a tpms in the spare tire, then the module can read fluctuations in the signal while wheel rotates to determine which sensor is in the spare tire (ie the one without fluctuations or the static signal).

LurchOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat w/501A, Built 02-08-2019
Rotation has nothing to do with anything thats an internet myth. Correlation does not me causation.
I would encourage anyone who is interested in sensors to do their own research on how -and when- they transmit information. Internet myths can be pernicious.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would encourage anyone who is interested in sensors to do their own research on how -and when- they transmit information. Internet myths can be pernicious.
The tpms sensor in the ranger will ONLY send a signal (sensor ID and pressure reading) when pinged by a Low Frequency signal from the directional Low frequency initiators built into the TPMS module in the head liner above the passengers head.
Otherwise they are in an "off" state, more or less.
Sponsored