First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang
Occupation
Military
Sorry if there is already an extensive thread talking about this but what roof racks are we running? I'm getting a 2021 here in a few weeks and would like some feedback. I was looking at a Prinsu but have read awful reviews on it. I have also been looking at a Rhino Rack but I am not sure which size to get. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Ive been trying to figure out the same thing. I think Im going to get the Yakima crossbars and attachments as well as a yakima platform

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I really like the look of THIS ONE

It's more expensive than the Prinsu but less expensive than the Rhino and IMHO looks better than either one.

If I get a roof rack this is the one I'm going with.

They have some more cool Ranger stuff on their site as well.

OP
OP
bmattison

bmattison

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang
Occupation
Military
I really like the look of THIS ONE

It's more expensive than the Prinsu but less expensive than the Rhino and IMHO looks better than either one.

If I get a roof rack this is the one I'm going with.

They have some more cool Ranger stuff on their site as well.
I came across this one after I posted. I like it better as well

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Make your own. Dollar for dollar I spend probably 1/4 for the same real estate and function. I also get infinitely more customization. I guess the only drawback is sacrificing time to make it. However making this stuff is in itself a hobby to me.

I have zero background in engineering, but some basic assembly knowledge (you learn more and more as you progress) anyone can do it.

Mine is 100% weld-less design. All bolts and nuts. It can hold hundreds of pounds (I often use it as a shooting platform).

Disclaimer: I did however opt to purchase an actual bed support rack from a reputable company.

IMG_3643.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
I am running Yakima cross bars with a Yakima basket on my cab, and a Prinsu topper rack on my canopy. For what its worth, I havent found many real world functions for the Yakima basket yet and wish I would have went with a Prinsu canopy rack for my cab as well. The Prinsu is infinitely more useful and im not sure what bad reviews youve read, but I find the rack on my canopy to be extremely functional and solid

OP
OP
bmattison

bmattison

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang
Occupation
Military
I am running Yakima cross bars with a Yakima basket on my cab, and a Prinsu topper rack on my canopy. For what its worth, I havent found many real world functions for the Yakima basket yet and wish I would have went with a Prinsu canopy rack for my cab as well. The Prinsu is infinitely more useful and im not sure what bad reviews youve read, but I find the rack on my canopy to be extremely functional and solid
I’ve read two reviews specifically, one on here and one in a google search, both describing nearly identical situations. Didn’t get all the hardware and parts sent to them, reached out, didn’t get the right stuff the second time, rack didn’t fit properly. I love the way it looks but I’m skeptical.

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Here's a pic of the LocknLoad platform on a truck roof...

yakima_ford_ranger_sema.jpg

I just wish this thing had roof rails preinstalled. Im not a huge fan of the clamps that bolt to the frame. The cost of buying and installing the euro rails seems pretty high.... drilling holes in my roof is sort of where I stand down in terms of "DIY"

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
I’ve read two reviews specifically, one on here and one in a google search, both describing nearly identical situations. Didn’t get all the hardware and parts sent to them, reached out, didn’t get the right stuff the second time, rack didn’t fit properly. I love the way it looks but I’m skeptical.
strange! I guess when it comes to online, you usually only really hear from people who arent happy with their purchase unless you come on to a forum like this. I have no affiliation whatsoever but I can just speak to my real world review with the Prinsu rack, it came with an extra crossbar and extra bolts for installation, and was overall very easy to install. They have many accessories that mount directly to the rack and you can also mount any sort of Thule/Yakima/etc. accessories easily, and like I said earlier I find it to be much more functional then my Yakima cab set up and wish I would have went with Prinsu cab rack instead. Ive heard and read good reviews of the Rhino Rack platform as well.

OP
OP
bmattison

bmattison

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang
Occupation
Military
strange! I guess when it comes to online, you usually only really hear from people who arent happy with their purchase unless you come on to a forum like this. I have no affiliation whatsoever but I can just speak to my real world review with the Prinsu rack, it came with an extra crossbar and extra bolts for installation, and was overall very easy to install. They have many accessories that mount directly to the rack and you can also mount any sort of Thule/Yakima/etc. accessories easily, and like I said earlier I find it to be much more functional then my Yakima cab set up and wish I would have went with Prinsu cab rack instead. Ive heard and read good reviews of the Rhino Rack platform as well.
Good to hear something positive. You are right though the internet is definitely a forum for the negative. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Blake,

If you have a scab, your options will be limited. You might not find a Prinsu, Rhino Rack Backbone, Mule or Frontrunner direct mount roof rack to fit. The last time I checked, these companies only had racks for the screw cabs. If you have a screw, you’re in good shape. You could always use a bed rack (so cool) or a canopy/topper.

I have a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform mounted to my canopy, similar to @scubasteve278 - my legs mount directly to my canopy and the platform mounts directly to the legs - this provides the lowest profile I could find. I don’t carry anything long up there that will interfere with the roof of the cab.

Steve’s setup is a bit different and gives him the higher profile he needs to provide clearance for his awning.

I really like the Pioneer Platform. It works with all kinds of T-slot accessories and mounts. It’s very well made and was easy to install. If Rhino Rack made a Backbone mount for my scab, I’d add a Pioneer Platform to the cab. I prefer the rack mounts that utilize the roof rails, so I have a few options:
  • wait for a scab version
  • modify the screw model
  • mount modified legs to my roof rails the way Mule does
DE4271EB-F67D-44FD-82D0-6EAC046857A8.jpeg

BE4B3A7F-0D23-498D-8CC6-9C9F4DEC03B5.jpeg

4F343443-C51F-452B-AA51-FCB6BF1A53E2.jpeg

Good Luck!

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Hey Blake,

If you have a scab, your options will be limited. You might not find a Prinsu, Rhino Rack Backbone, Mule or Frontrunner direct mount roof rack to fit. The last time I checked, these companies only had racks for the screw cabs. If you have a screw, you’re in good shape. You could always use a bed rack (so cool) or a canopy/topper.

I have a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform mounted to my canopy, similar to @scubasteve278 - my legs mount directly to my canopy and the platform mounts directly to the legs - this provides the lowest profile I could find. I don’t carry anything long up there that will interfere with the roof of the cab.

Steve’s setup is a bit different and gives him the higher profile he needs to provide clearance for his awning.

I really like the Pioneer Platform. It works with all kinds of T-slot accessories and mounts. It’s very well made and was easy to install. If Rhino Rack made a Backbone mount for my scab, I’d add a Pioneer Platform to the cab. I prefer the rack mounts that utilize the roof rails, so I have a few options:
  • wait for a scab version
  • modify the screw model
  • mount modified legs to my roof rails the way Mule does
DE4271EB-F67D-44FD-82D0-6EAC046857A8.jpeg

BE4B3A7F-0D23-498D-8CC6-9C9F4DEC03B5.jpeg

4F343443-C51F-452B-AA51-FCB6BF1A53E2.jpeg

Good Luck!
What bed canopy is that?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads