Rockford Fosgate 1675 opinions and alternatives.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
I've been searching the forums (not only this one) for opinions on these speakers and while they are many, I believe it deserves a dedicated discussion since they seem to be a very popular option on the Rangers.

I'm looking to upgrade my factory speakers, I have a Limited edition with the 8" Sync3 Head-unit.
I want to start my sound modding trip by replacing the speakers, first the fronts, then the backs, add an amplifier (if needed) and only last add a sub.

I'm in my 40s, drive around with the family and not looking for SPL, rather clean, separated music. I listen mostly to rock and metal, play a bit myself. I also listen to jazz, a bit of old school hiphop and a bit of electronic music. I am not an audiophile but I've been building speakers for home entertainment, guitar playing for a long period and I enjoy a good piece of equipment, clean tones and a proper sound stage. I'm also a true believer in incremental upgrades and DIY.

On my previous cars I always used Hertz, Focal and Infinity and with decent results. Hertz I found balanced, Focal a bit muddy and Infinity just right even in the Reference family.

I am willing to give a try to Rockford Fosgate. Looking into components from the front doors I have two options:
P1675-SE (no S available in my country, not sure why). The SE come with external crossovers which I believe (just based on size) they are better than the integrated crossovers in the mids in case of S. I mean, I've built speaker filters/crossovers before and they do take up space, to be done properly. Coaxial speakers have normally a capacitor to separate the channels, and I am afraid that the S may be in the same area.

R1675-S (available). Same worry as above with the xovers, on these ones they are actually in the tweeter, not in the mid cage. Tweeters are smaller, but that's maybe not that bad, see below:

Reading reviews I saw a lot of complaints that the P (Punch) series have too bright (annoying even) tweeters. Since this is something you cannot change from the xovers, the only option would be to alter the equalization either from the Sync3 and maybe also from Forscan - is this true? I do not yet have an adapter myself, waiting for it to arrive.

Normally I am tempted to go for the Punch series, yet besides the tweeters I also read mixed feelings, some say they should be amplified some say it's a straight replacement for the OEMs, and they run pretty well directly on the HU. I am aware that an amp is not about volume, but drive and clarity, I am not excluding it yet if not needed I would avoid an additional electrical item installed.

Please advise, I appreciate all feedback I can get. Main questions for me are:
- are the tweeters on the Punch series too bright? How did you solve this?
- do they work well directly from the 8" HU?
- when you've added a small 4ch amp like 200.4, 180.4 or the Alpine how much did the clarity improve, provided you've installed the speakers first and have a means of comparison.

Other feedback is always welcome. I will provide mine as soon as I do any mod on my truck in this thread.

Last but not least, enjoy Easter! The orthodox one (which I am registered as, not that I believe in religion) is 4 weeks later this year ;).
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
onobeka

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys, I am about to order soon, please advise ...

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, did you find the information you were looking for?

OP
OP
onobeka

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In fact no. I ordered something else, please check my other thread.
Sponsored