Rear Shock nuts ?

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Hi, I finally replace my rear shocks with Bilsteins. I made sure to order the new bolts and nuts. The 4 nuts I ordered where the W520214-S440. What I saw on ford parts online only listed in picture diagram of truck. Thou once I cleaned up after installing new shocks, I noticed the old nuts, 2 of them where a little different looking. They had an extra piece of metal with the nut.

Was I suppose to order 2 different nuts for bottom or top? Not sure which spot these came from, I think where from the bottom. I am thinking the ones where just different due to original assembly to keep them in easier while getting tightened.

Anyways, anybody else run into this and order two different sets of nuts instead of all W520214-S440?
Sponsored

OP
OP

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Two top nuts slide into a "slot" to keep them from turning, that is why they are a different part number.
Do you have the part number for the top ones? It seamed to torque down fine with W520214, think I should replace them?

OP
OP

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Why did you need to buy new nuts and bolts?
Technically the bots and nuts they now use are considered one use. As once they are torqued they can stretch and if you use them again and retorque may not be as strong.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Throw some blue loctite on them and check them occasionally and you are fine reusing the old nuts.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To start I'm pretty sure no one here wants to talk about your nuts. ??

Second it may be an updated design so nothing to worry about.

Bravohook

First Name
Addame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Sheepdog
Technically the bots and nuts they now use are considered one use. As once they are torqued they can stretch and if you use them again and retorque may not be as strong.

The torque value is ridiculously low. Ford considers them "throw away" because of the loctite material on them. Use them again and save the 5 to 10 bucks you spent on nuts.

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
For my entire suspension overhaul the only hardware I replaced were the axle nuts, and U-Bolts. Everything else had new loctite applied and torqued to spec.

OP
OP

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
The torque value is ridiculously low. Ford considers them "throw away" because of the loctite material on them. Use them again and save the 5 to 10 bucks you spent on nuts.
I already used the new ones, :) my question was more of if was a big deal if I used the same nuts on the top and bottom. Looking at things more does not appear will matter, the factory top ones just had extra material to keep them from spinning as Utah_bound stated. But my new ones seemed to torque down just fine on top without the extra material. Maybe when I ever replace shocks again the top ones will be harder to take off without the extra material to keep them in place to unbolt them. I just found it odd that on the officially ford parts website and diagrams they do not even show a different part number for the top nuts.