MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
So far the rear-view camera on mine works great. I always look where I am going anyway, look around by turning my head, I mean, just to be sure, but the rear-view camera, in addition to all the sensors, just gives us, and everybody else out there, that much more protection. Still after seeing this post, I will check my Ford App to see if there is a problem with my camera that I did not know about....
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hell if mine went out I would have never known that it did
Same here John, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I'm so used to using the mirrors I have to make myself look at the camera. I never use it when backing, but I will make myself glance at it from time to time just to make sure. And even then my old worn out mind says, "Hey knucklehead, don't trust that thing, look again yourself.". :)

OP
OP
Tim H.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Hi Folks,

That will hit the Corporate Coffers pretty hard! My Nautilus is in this recall too....

Sad situation

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,
Explain why Ford is replacing the cameras if it’s only an electrical connection issue?

48F0E6FA-2371-4414-898D-02E2DB521138.jpeg

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi Tracy,

Agree...always look back, but what I use it for is when I park, I switch into reverse and look how I am aligned between the white lines. Works great for that purpose for me.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I still can't hit the white lines. I always drive forward to park...forward to exit. Stay safe, my friends...stay safe.

Deleted member 1634

Phil,
Explain why Ford is replacing the cameras if it’s only an electrical connection issue?

48F0E6FA-2371-4414-898D-02E2DB521138.jpeg
If it's an electrical connection on the camera (to the wire hardness), or even inside the camera, then it's easier to just R&R the assembly than try and fix it. At least for us structural issues usually get a repair, systems issues usually get an R&R. It's just easier that way. Especially for a field repair like this one.

Just my two cents. Phil may feel otherwise.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If it's an electrical connection on the camera (to the wire hardness), or even inside the camera, then it's easier to just R&R the assembly than try and fix it. At least for us structural issues usually get a repair, systems issues usually get an R&R. It's just easier that way. Especially for a field repair like this one.

Just my two cents. Phil may feel otherwise.
Hi Matt,

I do not know the specifics of this but agree with you that it the problem is within the camera where the wiring loom plugs in. Tells me the wiring loom is okay, not the conncetion on the camera. When recalls involve such large amount of vehicles, just the mailings to owners costs $ millions...

Supplier Quality Assurance, SQA, is in for many sleepless nights... They need to understand how so many were made that were defective, but it could be only a very few in large sample population, but I doubt this as the first step would be a diagnostic, not just replacement. Most supplier agreements have a provision that the supplier pays the cost of the recall and this could likely tank the supplier... What a mess!

Going to affect the bottom line for sure...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Tim H.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Hi Matt,

I do not know the specifics of this but agree with you that it the problem is within the camera where the wiring loom plugs in. Tells me the wiring loom is okay, not the conncetion on the camera. When recalls involve such large amount of vehicles, just the mailings to owners costs $ millions...

Supplier Quality Assurance, SQA, is in for many sleepless nights... They need to understand how so many were made that were defective, but it could be only a very few in large sample population, but I doubt this as the first step would be a diagnostic, not just replacement. Most supplier agreements have a provision that the supplier pays the cost of the recall and this could likely tank the supplier... What a mess!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
My RAV4 had a recall on the “driver’s window switch electrical connection“. Toyota pulled the switch, put electrical lube on the connector & sent me on my way. That’s why I asked Phil. Thought he had insight on the wording of the recall. Thanks all!

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
The front camera on our Explorer sometimes won't come on when we try to use it to pull into the garage. I wonder if it has the same problem.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
My RAV4 had a recall on the “driver’s window switch electrical connection“. Toyota pulled the switch, put electrical lube on the connector & sent me on my way. That’s why I asked Phil. Thought he had insight on the wording of the recall. Thanks all!
Could be any number of reasons why they'd replace the entire assembly. Mostly it's probably labor related. If it's a $100 camera assembly (with harness), or a $10 harness, but 30 minutes of labor vs 2 hours of labor, you can see why the assembly would come out cheaper in the long run.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
Hi Matt,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
As intertwined the auto supply chain is I wonder how many other manufacturers will have similar issues with cameras. The fact that many suppliers have recently ramped back up production due to covid alot of people to no fault of their own could be jobless sucks. Probably because some bean counter decided to save .0005 pennies per camera. I know that on a scale for hundreds of thousands it adds up but reliabilty should win out over profit and bonuses.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
So far the rear-view camera on mine works great. I always look where I am going anyway, look around by turning my head, I mean, just to be sure, but the rear-view camera, in addition to all the sensors, just gives us, and everybody else out there, that much more protection.
Yeah. Cameras were added because people kept running over kids they couldn't see behind their vehicles. Regardless of how macho a parker you've been for the paste 200 years, the mirrors have a blind spot directly behind the tailgate. Not using a camera won't actually make your dick any bigger, and if you do run over a kid you'll really wish that you had wimped out and used the camera that day.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
was the manufacture of the cameras awarded to the lowest bidder by chance??

I'll have to say though, the 2020 escape camera is alot better resolution than the 2019 rangers.
Wifes 2020 Escape Hybrid camera went out within first 60 days and we waited about that long for parts to arrive.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
700k times a hour of labor adds pretty quick ... no corporate bonus this year.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Mine has done it a few times on me. Stopped immediately. Took visual inventory around me. Shifted to park and back to reverse and it came back.

Also have had Ford Synch reboot on me while backing up too - that was a fun one.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
TJ that was a good recall on the Rav and others. The electric grease was injected into the slide functions of the circuit board not the connector itself. Some had to be replaced they were so burnt up. And some even caught fire like taxies in NYC.
I saw many that would stick widow down one side while trying to pull up on another.
Sponsored