First Name
Huw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Hi fellow Ranger Raptor folk. I have a question. I picked up my new Ranger Raptor in mid December 2020 at the local dealer. I drove the 180km home and put in into my garage. On standing back I noticed that it was down on the left hand side. Checked the floor, but this is level, checked the tyre pressure , all good. I measured the difference between the left and right wheel arch and there’s around 5cm difference in clearance between the top of the tyre and the shell arch.
I immediately contacted the Ford dealer, took it back to be totally suprised by the BS they tried to tell me.
” The fuel tank, ad-blue tank, plus you sit on this side, blah, blah, blah”
Strangley they did agree that this is not normal and that they would contact Ford tech support.
3 weeks later still no answer.
And just to annoy me more, the 4 wheel forward transfer case was leaking after less than 500km. They asked if I used the 4 wheel drive, yes on snow and ice, not normal road. “ Ah, that’s why it’s leaking” Totally clueless.
So, does anyone have any idea what the problem with the difference from side to side could be? Some help or pointers would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

242BA405-17AE-45F0-B101-576C38C57575.jpeg
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So, first...cool truck.

The Canada/US Rangers have a known “lean” which is typically fixed at the factory by shimming one side. It is easily noticed by having a look at the u-bolts on the rear end.

Some of threads discussing driveshaft phasing and high speed shudder mention it often.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/vibration-at-take-off.2092/post-158216

Maybe there is also a fix for Raptors but was missed at the factory or removed if you had any rear suspension work done - I see you have a serious trailer hitch - did someone put in tougher springs?

Oh, and those rear recovery hooks are pretty cool!

Last edited:

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Hi fellow Ranger Raptor folk. I have a question. I picked up my new Ranger Raptor in mid December 2020 at the local dealer. I drove the 180km home and put in into my garage. On standing back I noticed that it was down on the left hand side. Checked the floor, but this is level, checked the tyre pressure , all good. I measured the difference between the left and right wheel arch and there’s around 5cm difference in clearance between the top of the tyre and the shell arch.
I immediately contacted the Ford dealer, took it back to be totally suprised by the BS they tried to tell me.
” The fuel tank, ad-blue tank, plus you sit on this side, blah, blah, blah”
Strangley they did agree that this is not normal and that they would contact Ford tech support.
3 weeks later still no answer.
And just to annoy me more, the 4 wheel forward transfer case was leaking after less than 500km. They asked if I used the 4 wheel drive, yes on snow and ice, not normal road. “ Ah, that’s why it’s leaking” Totally clueless.
So, does anyone have any idea what the problem with the difference from side to side could be? Some help or pointers would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

242BA405-17AE-45F0-B101-576C38C57575.jpeg
Is the 5cm difference at the front or rear or is it the same 5cm difference both front and rear?

Reactions: Doc

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
The "ranger lean" is very much a real phenomenon, at least with the older models.

Battery, (likely) overweight driver*, gas tank all on the same side.. especially with a full tank.. could equate to a side to side imbalance of more than a few hundred pounds. Over time itll wear that sides suspension components quicker, further adding to the issue.

I wouldnt be happy about it on a brand new truck though. The older models USUALLY don't start leaning until their pretty well worn in. I have 140k on my 2010 and it pretty well matches the amount of lean you have.

Edit* not trying to call you a porker lol.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Huw767

First Name
Huw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Is the 5cm difference at the front or rear or is it the same 5cm difference both front and rear?
Front is around 3cm

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Front is around 3cm
Not 100% sure on the Raptor, but the tolerance for Ranger trucks side to side is +/- 8mm. 5CM and 3 CM is HUGE and way out of spec. If there is such a weight imbalance issue on the truck due to battery, fuel, DEF, etc. then the engineers should have adapted the suspension components accordingly on the left side of the truck. Can you imagine Porsche telling you what Ford told you as an excuse if you had the same issue with the 911?

OP
OP

Huw767

First Name
Huw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Not 100% sure on the Raptor, but the tolerance for Ranger trucks side to side is +/- 8mm. 5CM and 3 CM is HUGE and way out of spec. If there is such a weight imbalance issue on the truck due to battery, fuel, DEF, etc. then the engineers should have adapted the suspension components accordingly on the left side of the truck. Can you imagine Porsche telling you what Ford told you as an excuse if you had the same issue with the 911?
Exactly. I really don’t appreciate the Ford dealer bs*ing me about this. The Fox shocks fitted to this vehicle should be spot on and the design takes into account the weigh dispersion of the components. I have looked at a bunch of other Ranger Raptors and there just fine.
Sponsored