First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Working on something for towing and the mirror extensions that are needed. Unfortunately nothing but the strap on type are available.
Thinking of a way to mount a mirror but it would require mounting a bracket to the front shell of the mirror. The add on mirror would be removable but the bracket would remain on the mirror housing.
Need to know if I mount the bracket to the front of the housing via some 1/2 or 3/4 inch long screws, will I hit anything, wiring/motor/brackets, ect ? Anyone maybe have a pic of the mirror housing interior ? Maybe a schematic parts blow up pic ?
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Working on something for towing and the mirror extensions that are needed. Unfortunately nothing but the strap on type are available.
Thinking of a way to mount a mirror but it would require mounting a bracket to the front shell of the mirror. The add on mirror would be removable but the bracket would remain on the mirror housing.
Need to know if I mount the bracket to the front of the housing via some 1/2 or 3/4 inch long screws, will I hit anything, wiring/motor/brackets, ect ? Anyone maybe have a pic of the mirror housing interior ? Maybe a schematic parts blow up pic ?
These are the ones I use. They work well for me. The strap-on ones don't work well if at all on our mirrors

Also I got an ail back from Clear View USA that they are working on mirrors for our US Rangers like they make for Australia. They said they hoped to have them out this year yet. So, maybe by next towing season for us northerners. Got my TT winterized, just need to get it in storage.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thinking of something like this mirror. Replacement for a Jeep mirror, but I think it would work well as a tow mirror. Bracket would attach to the Ranger mirror shell. Mirror and arm are removable easily when not towing.

71P+OIPVjTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Pretty sure the mirror cap just snaps on with clips. I would,xt trust them to hold the weight and pressure of those mirrors.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pretty sure the mirror cap just snaps on with clips. I would,xt trust them to hold the weight and pressure of those mirrors.
May agree...found an older post on removing the caps with photo's. Nothing behind the area I was thinking of mounting the bracket...a couple of 1/4 x 20 short nuts/bolts would work.
Just have to find the weight of a similar mirror, and see how secure the Ranger's mirror cap is attached via the snap on tabs. May try to source something similar but made of plastic/polymer instead of metal.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
May agree...found an older post on removing the caps with photo's. Nothing behind the area I was thinking of mounting the bracket...a couple of 1/4 x 20 short nuts/bolts would work.
Just have to find the weight of a similar mirror, and see how secure the Ranger's mirror cap is attached via the snap on tabs. May try to source something similar but made of plastic/polymer instead of metal.
A nut plate or something similar would definitely work for securing the base of the mirror to the cap.

If the cap doesn't turn out to be secure enough you could mount the base to the underside of the mirror perhaps? The black plastic part there feels pretty secure.
Sponsored