RS block internals the same as ranger?

njdriver19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariet
Yeah just wondering if a rs block has the same internals as the ranger engine? Is the Top end different? Who is running forged pistons?? Lol.
Cosworth going to come out with some parts for us , that would be very cool.
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
From what I've read, no the block has some differences along with the head.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Over the years they have made plenty of changes to the 2.3 liter. From the Focus RS to the ranger there are still some changes especially with the fact that we have rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive. That already says that there's going to be differences in the block. As for the internals like the crankshaft and pistons there might be some subtle differences but not much. Inside the head your main differences are going to be with the camshaft. The reason you're going to see differences in the camshaft is because we have trucks and not race cars. Because of that they had two shift more torque to the wheels versus horsepower because in a car you don't necessarily need as much torque. In my honest opinion if you're not trying to make a race truck I wouldn't even bother breaking into the engine like such. Yes we can do other things like change the turbocharger out and put a new intercooler in and so on so forth but once you start going into the engine that's when you're going to the extreme with these. As we sit with just a basic tune they give you more than enough power for what we're all doing.

snorlax

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Parts Advisor
The ranger 2.3 was modified for heavier duty and 4x4 applications. Stock for stock it really just boils down to the rangers 2.3 getting better cooling. Also has the electronic waste gate and different oil filter. Both have forged rods and crank

OP
OP
njdriver19

njdriver19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariet
The ranger 2.3 was modified for heavier duty and 4x4 applications. Stock for stock it really just boils down to the rangers 2.3 getting better cooling. Also has the electronic waste gate and different oil filter. Both have forged rods and crank
“Both have forged rods and crank” , yeah that’s what I was interested in knowing.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
This basic motor has been around a while dating back to at least to 2007 with the Mazdaspeed 3/6.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
This basic motor has been around a while dating back to at least to 2007 with the Mazdaspeed 3/6.
Shoot..... The 2.3 has been around since the early 90' if not the late 80's.... With a few changes each year of course.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Shoot..... The 2.3 has been around since the early 90' if not the late 80's.... With a few changes each year of course.
I’m talking about the 2.3 DISI Turbo.

OP
OP
njdriver19

njdriver19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariet
Does cosworth make anything for our motors?

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
yup, I owned a 1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe back in 1988 when I first joined the Military. 2.3l turbo charged and it was awesome. For a big ole heavy car with a whooping 155hp and a 5 speed to boot. It would roast the tires with ease. Even back then this little 2.3l took everything I threw at it. Clutch cable.... Not so much, lol.

OP
OP
njdriver19

njdriver19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariet
yup, I owned a 1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe back in 1988 when I first joined the Military. 2.3l turbo charged and it was awesome. For a big ole heavy car with a whooping 155hp and a 5 speed to boot. It would roast the tires with ease. Even back then this little 2.3l took everything I threw at it. Clutch cable.... Not so much, lol.
I owned a t5 from one of them, the plan was swap into my ranger first I had to take the tail housing from a blazer (transfer case) forget what year, Which also has t5.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
I’m talking about the 2.3 DISI Turbo.
The Mazda direct injection head is different to the Ford. Both are based on the Mazda L engine block (as is the 2.0L Ecoboost), but the Ecoboost uses a unique head that Ford designed after they split Mazda off. The Mazda engine uses a Mazda designed head. They aren't interchangeable either.
Sponsored