Ranger crew cab big enough for family with kids?

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
How many of you guys are using the Ranger as a family vehicle? Trying to decide between a full-size truck and a mid-size. Overall I definitely prefer a mid-size because I feel like full sized trucks are way too big and we live in an urban area and need to park downtown often, but the interior space in mid-size trucks seems like it might be a little bit too small. Any of you able to fit 2x car/booster seats in the back? Occasionally would like to be able to carry an extra adult in the back to in addition to the 2x car/booster seats. I know a full-size would be a safer bet but if a mid-size would do the trick that would be my preference.
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
It's crowded with 4 adults that are not on the small side of things. I can say that 4 adults and a cat in a softside travel carrier fit, but it's like being on an airplane, except the seats are softer lol!!

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
It's going to depend on the carseats. I have 3 kids and fit two carseats and a booster in the back, but the carseats are Cosco Seneras, which are probably the smallest carseats on the market. That said, it's plenty of space for us, and in fact the Ranger is our preferred road-trip vehicle over our SUV.

RRRANGERXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RACE RED RANGER XLT, 2021 TESLA MODEL Y
When we bought our screw my wife originally wanted the xtra cab. We looked at that and our 15 year old son would not have been happy for anything over a 45 minute ride. He was cramped he is 5 foot 10/165 lbs

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
When we bought ours screw my wife originally wanted the xtra cab. We looked at that and our 15 year old son would not have been happy for anything over a 45 minute ride. He was cramped he is 5 foot 10/165 lbs
There's a Freudian if ever...lol!o_O

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
You should also ask how old your kids are and how long you plan on keeping the truck. How much longer will they be in their car/booster seats? Carseats eat up a lot of real estate, more than a typical adult, but they don’t stay in it forever.
My kids are out of their car/booster seats and they really like the room back there. It’s enough for 2 adults and 1 halfling(though the middle seat isn’t very comfortable). The vehicles I had With dual carseats were a scion XB and a Jeep Cherokee- the ranger’s rear is bigger than either.

Aftermath865

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have a 6 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. They both fit fine. My son sits on my side and with his massive car seat and my seat back where I want it, it is tight, but works fine. If my daughter sits in the middle, my Mom can also sit back there with them just fine. We’ve done that a couple times.

DaytonBenson

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Shipping and receiving
I have a 15 month old son, and it is a bit irritating with all the buckles and such. That's more of a height thing than space, there is plenty of room.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
With carseats, I scoot up a bit. With adults I dont have to but do a little anyways. Ive sat in the back with 2 adults for a good hour or so and it was reasonably comfortable.

We have an F-150 crew cab also and clearly its way more room and far more comfortable with car seats and people in the back seat. The cab of that truck is like a freaking tiny home.

The issue is parking that stupid thing. I hate it. Scratch that, I despise that truck because I cannot park it. The turning radius is horrible and it seems like no spot is big enough for it. Did I mention I hate it? My wife however loves it and has no issues. Thats probably because I dont point out that everytime she parks shes not in the spot or is hanging out into the aisle.

I vote the Ranger but like I said, I hate the F-150.

DaytonBenson

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Shipping and receiving
With carseats, I scoot up a bit. With adults I dont have to but do a little anyways. Ive sat in the back with 2 adults for a good hour or so and it was reasonably comfortable.

We have an F-150 crew cab also and clearly its way more room and far more comfortable with car seats and people in the back seat. The cab of that truck is like a freaking tiny home.

The issue is parking that stupid thing. I hate it. Scratch that, I despise that truck because I cannot park it. The turning radius is horrible and it seems like no spot is big enough for it. Did I mention I hate it? My wife however loves it and has no issues. Thats probably because I dont point out that everytime she parks shes not in the spot or is hanging out into the aisle.

I vote the Ranger but like I said, I hate the F-150.
You must live in NY or just have no skill. F-150 isn't that big

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
You must live in NY or just have no skill. F-150 isn't that big
Outside of Detroit. Used to drive a dually 350 and had no issue parking that with an 18 foot trailer. Hate the F-150.

Rascalrider

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 For Ranger
Occupation
Construction/Retired
Have a S-Crew and three teens. Two of the three are small'ish twins. They all fit but not alot of room to play with. They could run laps in the back of my F-150 S-Crew but I like the Ranger size better and they aren't in there That Often.
Sponsored