First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
Your truck is pretty much ready to go for some fairly good off road as is. You should however have some self ( and shared ) recovery/repair gear. Bare minimum I'd want to be able to plug a tire and refill it on the off chance you get a flat more than once. It's also handy to air down a bit and refill them up after. It's also considered poor form to not have your own recovery strap and a shackle if you need the help so get one of those if you need a yank from somebody at some point. You could do those for under $150 easy and have it all fit under the front seats.

The plug kit and strap are pretty obvious for shopping. The portable compressor is a wide ranging subject matter, Dave ( AZ guy ) recommended the Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor, You can get it off amazon for about $66 bucks, it's not the end all be all but it works well, is not junk and won't set you back a ton of dosh. I purchased one and feel it's more than adequate for the job.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Feeling a bit depressed about my purchase ,i got a truck i really wanted for the price i was looking for.
Only thing that is bothering me now is i have changed my mind about taking it on trails.
When i bought it i though off-roading was to costly and it would void my warrantee so i wouldn't do it although i still bought the 4x4.
i have a 7 year old boy and we went off-road for literally 10 minutes and he loved it! I realised i made a mistake i should have spent a little more and got a fx4.

WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE THIS TRUCK ADEQUET FOR SOME TRIPS, whatever it takes!?
my son has autism so anyway i get him to connect with me and his mom is worth it!
i know it wont be cheap it will take time for the upgrades but trust i will make it happen thankyou all
What do you think you can't do? I followed my brothers jeep in my 4x4 Ranger. I went everywhere he did. The only issue as to where you can go is ground clearance. Fx4 does not improve on that.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Could also get a jump pack with a built in compressor like I have. Fills a couple of useful roles that way. Always nice to have a battery jump system, whether cables or a portable pack, for everyday use. I use mine all the time around the house and for helping people in parking lots. It also has the built in compressor I've used many times as well. As well as work lights, USB charging port, and 12V outlet.

Just throwing that out there.

I killed two birds with one stone on that one. :)

I have a battery booster pack, plugged into my 120v outlet. That way, I have a readily charged booster AND it deactivates my bloody start-stop feature.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I've got an XLT 4X4 - No FX4 or anything. Just 4WD Hi/Lo. Hasn't been an issue yet.

If anything, the upgrades I'd make are in this order
1. Off road gear like snatch straps and a rear shackle, air pump, etc - learn how to use them
2. Upgrade your tires biggest you are willing to fit and a better off road pattern like BFG ATKO's
. a. If you are thinking about a Lift, add an inch or two before the tires - you can get bigger tires.
3. Replace your side steps / running boards with some beefier sliders.
4. Get a 2-way radio. I'd encourage you to look for a Ham License and put in a good 50w two way set up.
5. Shocks - bigger diameter and external reservoir.
6. Skid plates

For what it's worth, I'm still on #1 and will probably only make it to #2 or #3. I already have a Ham Radio so that's checked off the list.

slickville dave

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f 150/2020 Polaris sportsman
Occupation
retired tin knocker local 12 Pittsburgh
I think it's flippin' awesome that your son got so excited about off-roading and that you are now working to figure out how to best do that. If you are interested in changing out the rear shocks and front shocks/coil overs to those that come on the FX4 package, let me know. I put on the Ford Fox level kit at 1600 miles and these guys aren't doing anybody any good sitting in my garage. In the spirit of the holidays, if you want them, they are yours. Would just ask that you pay the cost of shipping from AZ.

FX4 Shocks -Coilovers.jpg
thats VERY COOL your a good dude!!

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
I searched for a while trying to find posts on acquiring a Ranger 4X4 STX. I could save the money on the FX4 package. I would upgrade the shocks, struts and leaf springs. Purchase the Locker, add some stronger bash plates, get the tow hooks I like and mount 32" tires. Sounds like you can upgrade the software to get some of the Terrain management. Thanks for the opinions.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Feeling a bit depressed about my purchase ,i got a truck i really wanted for the price i was looking for.
Only thing that is bothering me now is i have changed my mind about taking it on trails.
When i bought it i though off-roading was to costly and it would void my warrantee so i wouldn't do it although i still bought the 4x4.
i have a 7 year old boy and we went off-road for literally 10 minutes and he loved it! I realised i made a mistake i should have spent a little more and got a fx4.

WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE THIS TRUCK ADEQUET FOR SOME TRIPS, whatever it takes!?
my son has autism so anyway i get him to connect with me and his mom is worth it!
i know it wont be cheap it will take time for the upgrades but trust i will make it happen thankyou all
With good AT tires for grip and durability, and shocks to slow rebound and suspension movement down youll be fine!!

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I purposely stayed away from the FX4 pkg. I got the XLT 4X4 Sport. I've been wheeling the hell outta this thing every weekend. It will climb a wall. All I did was add an RC 3 1/2" lift n level and 33" tires.
Sponsored