PUTCO Venture TEC Bed Rack: Tonneau Compatible Offroad Rack?

OP
OP
franciscoapg

franciscoapg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Wow this actually looks like a really cool option, @Justin87, thanks for sharing. I'm definitely considering this--do you know of anybody on the forums with the full height version? I think the mid-height is just a bit too short for what I want and I'm curious as to what the full height version looks like. I couldn't seem to find a load rating on the website, so I also wonder what type of load it would withstand, given the rack + Retrax combo might be a bit weaker than bolting directly to the bed rails. Overall, though, this rack is pretty exciting.

@BHunted this doesn't have T -slots through the full length of the rack hoops, but the fact that it would work seamlessly with your cover might make it a pretty good option. What do you think?
I actually just saw that it has a 350 lb dynamic weight rating (based on their instructions here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0084/3680/9788/files/upTOP_TRUSS_All_Models.pdf?v=1591117954), which seems to be in line with most other racks. I reached out to them and asked for some pictures of the full height unit to see where the top crossbars end up relative to the roof. Hopefully it's the right height for what I'm looking for, because it definitely looks like a sturdy rack which would tick off most if not all of my requirements.
Sponsored

Justin87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
collision tech
Wow this actually looks like a really cool option, @Justin87, thanks for sharing. I'm definitely considering this--do you know of anybody on the forums with the full height version? I think the mid-height is just a bit too short for what I want and I'm curious as to what the full height version looks like. I couldn't seem to find a load rating on the website, so I also wonder what type of load it would withstand, given the rack + Retrax combo might be a bit weaker than bolting directly to the bed rails. Overall, though, this rack is pretty exciting.

@BHunted this doesn't have T -slots through the full length of the rack hoops, but the fact that it would work seamlessly with your cover might make it a pretty good option. What do you think?
I was pretty excited when I saw these racks too. I actually saw this website in another members post, but I don't remember where it was. I'm curious what the full height version looks like too since I really like the 8.6 inch height. I want the 16 though to be almost level with my roof so my rtt can hangover the cab a little. Hopefully towards spring when I'm ready to do all this, some photos will surface of the full height rack on a Ranger. I'm really really curious what the Alpha roof rack looks like too with the body color matched outer rail.

OP
OP
franciscoapg

franciscoapg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Photo of it on a Tacoma I found doing a Google search

Screenshot_20201026-201620_Chrome.jpg
They actually replied to my email and mentioned that they will be shipping out their first full height Ranger rack this week, so they don't have any pictures. They told me to check out the Tacoma Retrax rack because it was the same as the Ranger Retrax rack, but I'm not sure that's the case, because the Ranger full height rack is 16" while the Tacoma Retrax rack says it's 19". That might be the case, but I asked for clarification just in case and also asked if the top of the rack lines up with the roofline or if it's taller / shorter. I'll let you know what they say. If the height works and I pick it up, I'll definitely post some pictures!

Justin87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
collision tech
They actually replied to my email and mentioned that they will be shipping out their first full height Ranger rack this week, so they don't have any pictures. They told me to check out the Tacoma Retrax rack because it was the same as the Ranger Retrax rack, but I'm not sure that's the case, because the Ranger full height rack is 16" while the Tacoma Retrax rack says it's 19". That might be the case, but I asked for clarification just in case and also asked if the top of the rack lines up with the roofline or if it's taller / shorter. I'll let you know what they say. If the height works and I pick it up, I'll definitely post some pictures!
Thank you, please do share any pictures or info.

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys, I noticed you are looking at options that are compatible with Retrax and other tonneau covers. We are looking for test rack users for Rangers, offered at a discount for pre-orders. Our rack is a true modular system that allows for total custom expansion... Check the rack at www.xtrusion-overland.com and let me know if you'd be interested!

IMG_20201016_125621.jpg

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Hey guys, I noticed you are looking at options that are compatible with Retrax and other tonneau covers. We are looking for test rack users for Rangers, offered at a discount for pre-orders. Our rack is a true modular system that allows for total custom expansion... Check the rack at www.xtrusion-overland.com and let me know if you'd be interested!

IMG_20201016_125621.jpg
I have a bak revolver tonneau cover. I really like it, but also want a rack. Would there be a way to include both your rack and the tonneau? Also, I’ve always been curious why overland racks don’t cover the whole bed. What is the benefit of them being so short?

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
@AutobotXJ,

Our rack would provide enough clearance in the front and most likely in the back as well. If you can send me the dimensions (height from bedrail base and width edge to edge) of the rolled up part I can confirm.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@AutobotXJ,

Our rack would provide enough clearance in the front and most likely in the back as well. If you can send me the dimensions (height from bedrail base and width edge to edge) of the rolled up part I can confirm.
I have a knock off of the Retrax cover.

IMG_20201016_125621.jpg
I'm interested in this! I have a knock off of the Retrax tonneau system. Can you provide images of how your rack interfaces with the bed rails?

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
@Glocker

It is a universal bracket with a back plate that will "pinch" the bedrail on the Ranger. The Tonneau rails sit on top of the bracket. It is recommended to put any foam self adhesive gasket below the tonneau rails to avoid water intrusion. This method is similar to other bedracks that allow tonneu covers. Most tonneu covers that overlap less than 1" into the truck's bedrail will be compatible. We have wider brackets for wide tonneau covers or softoppers as well (would give 2.5" of clearance for overlap).

Hope this helps!

Bracket.jpg

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
@AutobotXJ,

Thanks, I will back with you on the measurements. Your rack option is definitely a contender and would be interested in testing it!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Glocker

It is a universal bracket with a back plate that will "pinch" the bedrail on the Ranger. The Tonneau rails sit on top of the bracket. It is recommended to put any foam self adhesive gasket below the tonneau rails to avoid water intrusion. This method is similar to other bedracks that allow tonneu covers. Most tonneu covers that overlap less than 1" into the truck's bedrail will be compatible. We have wider brackets for wide tonneau covers or softoppers as well (would give 2.5" of clearance for overlap).

Hope this helps!

Bracket.jpg
I'm excited! Your product looks like it's the answer to what I'm looking for. Will it handle a rooftop tent and gear? Pricing? I'm hoping its going to be economical so I can stay married! ?

aklinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport

IMG_20201016_125621.jpg
I have a truxedo pro x15, which doesn't extend too far over the bed rails-I would love an option like this!

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
@Glocker, yeah it's rated for 350lbs dynamic and over double that for static. Rack weights 60-65 lbs. Starts at $579 so you don't have to break the bank! Then upgrade on options from there.

That vid is on the Raptor with a 200 lbs tent on top!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Glocker, yeah it's rated for 350lbs dynamic and over double that for static. Rack weights 60-65 lbs. Starts at $579 so you don't have to break the bank! Then upgrade on options from there.

That vid is on the Raptor with a 200 lbs tent on top!
I'm pretty much sold! Now to work on the family CFO. I'm pretty excited about the possibility of this! It'll be going on my Aussie inspired Ranger if all goes right.
FB_IMG_1599524385155.jpg
Sponsored