Pre-collision?

rustic39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Odd experience yesterday: I took the Ranger through the car wash; left there, and, a mile or two up the freeway, a graphic (truck outline with a red line around it, small arrow at the right front) appeared on the video screen, accompanied by an audio alert. Alert disappeared, then returned when i exited the freeway and came to a stop sign. Now, there were no other vehicles close enough to trigger the alerts. This repeated several times on the way home. This morning, no sign of any problem. Any chance it was caused by ice? Morning was cold yesterday - ice forming from water from the car wash? Ideas?
Sponsored

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah. No worries. I got it from serious blowing and drifting snow the other day. The system is sensitive to snow and ice.

Ranger's My Middle Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F350
Yes probably ice. About a month ago I was on the Interstate and I pulled out to pass a slow moving pickup and trailer. Wind was blowing extremely hard. As I drew even with the trailer, the precollision went off. Warning on the dash, audible alarm, and the vehicle slowed rather dramatically. I could not figure out what happened. At the next exit I pulled off, and upon further inspection, found that my block heater cord had came loose from its clip (or I forgot to secure it). That cord dangling down must have tripped the sensor. Mildly concerning at the time, but at least I know what the sensation feels like!

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Yeah. No worries. I got it from serious blowing and drifting snow the other day. The system is sensitive to snow and ice.
i was getting this today. first cold day in the ranger with temps hovering just below freezing and some light snow and rain. i started getting constant pre-collision/parking alarm alarms in all quadrants, mostly the front. always when at slow speeds, usually when starting from a stop or when turning. i took a look at the sensors and they all had one or two mm of ice on them. thankfully the car doesnt seem to slow in response, as far as i can tell, as i do not want the computer to inadvertently lock the wheels up on a patch of ice and skid across the median because of nonexistent risks. maybe there is a way to turn this off under conditions with known ice, ill have to look- or someone may know.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I've posted about it before. That thing is way too sensitive IMHO. I think I've had 5 to 7 false warnings inside of 12k miles. Haven't been close to an accident yet, but almost caused a few when it went off and I jammed on the brakes looking around me. Had a lane splitting motorcycle set it off a few months back and I braked hard. He could have been crushed between the cars if I had slid.

Now I ignore it so it serves no real purpose other than to excite the people in he passenger seat.

Deleted member 1634

i was getting this today. first cold day in the ranger with temps hovering just below freezing and some light snow and rain. i started getting constant pre-collision/parking alarm alarms in all quadrants, mostly the front. always when at slow speeds, usually when starting from a stop or when turning. i took a look at the sensors and they all had one or two mm of ice on them. thankfully the car doesnt seem to slow in response, as far as i can tell, as i do not want the computer to inadvertently lock the wheels up on a patch of ice and skid across the median because of nonexistent risks. maybe there is a way to turn this off under conditions with known ice, ill have to look- or someone may know.
I've posted about it before. That thing is way too sensitive IMHO. I think I've had 5 to 7 false warnings inside of 12k miles. Haven't been close to an accident yet, but almost caused a few when it went off and I jammed on the brakes looking around me. Had a lane splitting motorcycle set it off a few months back and I braked hard. He could have been crushed between the cars if I had slid.

Now I ignore it so it serves no real purpose other than to excite the people in he passenger seat.
Just a reminder that there's a difference between the parking sensors and the precollision system. They do not interact. When there's ice build-up on the parking sensors, then you'll get the tone at lower speeds, but the truck won't take action or do anything about it, it's just an annoying sound for a little while.

The pre-collision system uses the camera behind the rearview mirror (and the adaptive cruise radar if equipped). You may get false readings from that (though I never have), but it won't be from ice build-up on the front bumper.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Just a reminder that there's a difference between the parking sensors and the precollision system. They do not interact. When there's ice build-up on the parking sensors, then you'll get the tone at lower speeds, but the truck won't take action or do anything about it, it's just an annoying sound for a little while.

The pre-collision system uses the camera behind the rearview mirror (and the adaptive cruise radar if equipped). You may get false readings from that (though I never have), but it won't be from ice build-up on the front bumper.
In the area between speedo and tach, mine has a red blinking box and the words COLLISION WARNING accompanied by an alert tone / siren like a sub diving. Is that the collision warning you are talking about? Because it sure feels like a collision warning in the front seat.

Deleted member 1634

In the area between speedo and tach, mine has a red blinking box and the words COLLISION WARNING accompanied by an alert tone / siren like a sub diving. Is that the collision warning you are talking about? Because it sure feels like a collision warning in the front seat.
You are having pre-collision issues, yes. The rest of this thread is about the parking sensors icing over. I just want to make it clear that they are not related. That was my point. People tend to get confused between the two, and I could just feel a misunderstanding coming based on previous experience on this forum. haha

I don't know what's causing your issue, because I've never experienced it myself. I've had the warning go off, though never had it intervene, but always when I felt the system would have. Not necessarily when it was justified based on human logic, but certainly justified based on limited computer logic.

Deleted member 1634

ive had ice and snow on my radar unit, and although ive never had a collision warning, it has indicated its not working. i dont recall what popped up on the screen though.

there could be a correlation with all of the above though
the culprit is still ice build up and you need to deal with it
I think that would just cause the adaptive cruise to not work. I think others on here have mentioned that's the case in other threads. But I don't have that system, so I can't say for sure. I feel like the camera is the main pre-collision sensor either way. I have had the camera become obscured with frost, ice, snow, etc. though. But all it does is tell me it's obscured and that the pre-collision is not available. It doesn't give me a false intervention or warning.

That being said, maybe I should clarify that ice build-up can certainly cause issues in general. But I'd say it's more of an annoyance than a safety issue. At least in my opinion and experience.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
^ what he said.

the silly season is approaching, and for many it has arrived.
sensors and ice dont talk well.
get yourself a can of anti ice spray and keep it in your truck.
washed it recently? spray them
driving in freezing rain or snow? spray them
frosty morning? spray them

i reckon we will have 5 more such threads pop up by mid november....
thanks. this is the first time ive owned a car at the same time as being in a place that ices. its been a while..

is anti ice spray like a thin coat of silicone so the water beads off, or something different? ill have to get some.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare

ah. thanks for clarifying. i understand now. you are right on- im clearly having parking warnings, not collision warnings. and thats clearly why my truck was not decelerating on its own etc. makes me feel better.

i did get warnings saying the front facing camera coudlnt see (also ice issues) but other than ignoring it, no issues there..

thanks!

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
I’ve had the camera not working during heavy rain.

Deleted member 1634

I’ve had the camera not working during heavy rain.
Really? That's some pretty intense rain then. haha Did it stop working because the rain was so thick and heavy, or because the wipers couldn't keep up and the windshield was covered?
Sponsored