PNW mpg

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
So I just moved to Seattle last summer from San Diego. In San Diego I was getting ~19-20 mpg city. Now in Seattle I'm getting ~16 mpg city. Is this typical? No mods since I've moved. I know there are environmental factors such as gas, terrain, climate. I've even stopped using my seat warmers to see if that helped (not really).
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So I just moved to Seattle last summer from San Diego. In San Diego I was getting ~19-20 mpg city. Now in Seattle I'm getting ~16 mpg city. Is this typical? No mods since I've moved. I know there are environmental factors such as gas, terrain, climate. I've even stopped using my seat warmers to see if that helped (not really).
Just to start the conversation. You've hit the obvious reasons. Also the ever popular summer/winter blends, usually good for a 2 mpg drop. Another is changes in your driving habits due to your new location or job arrangement.

Arejaytee

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
16 Seems a little low. I rarely drop under 19 average with mostly mixed driving and a lot of remote starting. I have Fx4 with wheel spacers and a level. I could see less with pure city driving.
welcome to the area too. If you’re on Facebook, check out my group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2795311977406237/

9B75BDFA-C898-4A9A-A507-A098D703C701.jpeg

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm in the greater seattle area and do mostly city driving around Tacoma w/ some highway jaunts. I'm averaging 19.2 and I use 87 or 92 depending on if I'm towing or not.

Reactions: EJH

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I averaged 20 mpg around here when my FX4 was stock using 87 octane. Are you actually in Seattle proper or just in the area? the hills can be pretty steep downtown. Are you filling up at the same gas staion every time? Maybe some issue with them? Seems like something's off.

PNW_Ranger_John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Crew Cab FX4
I average 23 in Seattle suburbs with a stock FX4 and a Tonneau cover. I wfh, so mostly highway runs to mountains though. I recently added a GFC camper and dropped to 19 average.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I went from 20 to 18 when I upgraded the tires and from 18 to about 16.5 after my cargo basket. I'm thinking i need to lay off the gas pedal and the overlanding mods. ?

OP
OP

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I averaged 20 mpg around here when my FX4 was stock using 87 octane. Are you actually in Seattle proper or just in the area? the hills can be pretty steep downtown. Are you filling up at the same gas staion every time? Maybe some issue with them? Seems like something's off.
I'm in Seattle proper. I almost always fill up at the Costco in Sodo. I also work from home and lately I have noticed that the auto start stop hasn't been working so I've been leaving it on a trickle charger thinking that may be a factor. So now even with the auto start stop working again the gas mileage hasn't seemed to improve.

San Diego is also a very hilly area and back then I didn't have trouble getting 18-19 mpg.

So comparing with everyone else's mpg I can conclude that something must be off. When I first moved here I had it in for 10k service so I'm wondering if the dealer messed something up

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Running your wipers more? :LOL:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in Seattle proper. I almost always fill up at the Costco in Sodo. I also work from home and lately I have noticed that the auto start stop hasn't been working so I've been leaving it on a trickle charger thinking that may be a factor. So now even with the auto start stop working again the gas mileage hasn't seemed to improve.

San Diego is also a very hilly area and back then I didn't have trouble getting 18-19 mpg.

So comparing with everyone else's mpg I can conclude that something must be off. When I first moved here I had it in for 10k service so I'm wondering if the dealer messed something up
It may have something to do with the winter gas formulation in the NW. My MPG consistently tanks at least 2 MPG in the winter, sometimes more. Definitely the hillier the drive, the lower the MPG. My best MPG ever was driving up to the Olympics - forgot the highway number but I could only go 45-50 and I ended up getting almost 25 MPG calculated (not what the computer said).

In my experience these engines are VERY sensitive to all sorts of things for MPG.

saltypirate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT

Not sure if this helps at all, but I live up in Whidbey Island and have had mine for about two weeks and I am only getting about ~16mpg. Its my daily driver for work, so it only makes about two 10-15 minute trips per day plus some city driving on the weekends so far. The drive home from Marysville I was watching the avg mpg raise up to ~20mpg but after a day or so of Island driving, it started to dwindle down to ~16mpg and now fluctuates around there. Not sure if it's being "broken in" still and it will go up slightly over time or if that is just the life I live now.

Icemanhd

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
I took delivery of a 2023 Ranger LX just over 2 weeks ago, 2wd, supercab, only factory option was tow package so its a bit lighter than most. Driving it like a grandma with mostly rural/hwy driving I hit 27.92 mpg on my 1st full tank. I bought 87 octane at Costco and also put in a K&N filter.
Sponsored