Overlanding

DevilDog1775

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Vehicle Showcase
This was a good post. But this forum has turned from being a source of pleasure to a sense of rudeness. I will miss what this forum was. I wish you all peace.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Thought you had whitewall for a second lol...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Sid,

Good to hear from you. White walls would be pretty awesome. Man... You would need a lot of self confidence and/or thick skin to post a picture online with white walls. Look up Matt's Off Road Recovery on YouTube and the Corvair he built. That rig would be the one to put whitewalls on. That would be sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/c/MattsOffRoadRecovery/featured
I watch his channel a lot...beast Jeepers... ?

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I haven't seen a thread tailored to Overlanding, so why not. Please add stories of your own adventures to this thread.

I took my 12 year old son on an adventure this weekend. We hit the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail which starts in southwest Wisconsin at the Illinois border just south of Hazel Green, Wisconsin and winds north, with a brief jaunt into Iowa, on the way to Lake Superior. Our route soon landed us in Paris, although we are still in search of any tower other than a cell tower. I don't even think there is a water tower...
View attachment 89360 View attachment 89361

However, we did find some great people and the Famous Dickeyville Grotto!
View attachment 89362 View attachment 89363

We also found great adventure, some strange and unique sights, and scenic roads.
View attachment 89364 View attachment 89365 View attachment 89368

The wildlife was plentiful, including snakes, deer, herons, eagles, an osprey, these turkeys that I refer to as "Midwest Roadrunners", an unfortunate snake with a new Goodyear Duratrac tread tattoo, and many other creatures.
View attachment 89367

And this just might be the largest pyramid, this side of Giza... although made from firewood. Look real close there and consider the distance at which the picture was taken.
View attachment 89369

Interestingly, the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail weaves into Iowa and we spent the night in the Yellow River State Forest.
View attachment 89371 View attachment 89370 View attachment 89366

The next morning we were back at it early and on the road before 7:45 AM headed toward Lansing, Iowa. In Lansing we found a swanky coffee shop and a racy(?) ice cream stand.
View attachment 89372 View attachment 89373 View attachment 89374

So many great views and the weather was great.
View attachment 89376

We ended this effort in Yuba, Wisconsin and will pick up there again in a few weeks to complete the trail.
View attachment 89377

It was a great trip, we made lots of memories, and will enjoy the laughs about many things including made up stories of the Kickapoo River and stinky shoes that are probably best not repeated. The long days and short night resulted in one tired boy.
View attachment 89380

But when he awoke I had one more surprise for him ... Because what is an overlanding trip without a ferry ride?
View attachment 89381 View attachment 89382 View attachment 89383
What bed rack are you running? The ones I looked at had a mac weight of 300-350lbs. Sweet truck!

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Great pictures! But oh Bridgeport... There are many dreadful stories of cold, snowy punishment being dealt out to Marines in Bridgeport...
Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center on Hwy 108?

Scarcar22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
USMC/USA Veteran
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chris,

Semper Fi my felllow Devil Dog! Goodyear Duratrac 275/65R18 There are like three versions of them if you are looking to get them. Tire geeks can explain it all for you if that really matters for what you are doing. I am not pulling a trailer, so I don't care as much about the ply ratings and speed or what not. I figure I won't be driving over 90 mph and the weight will not exceed 2,500 lbs. That means any of the Duratrac tires will work for me. I think mine are 116S if I remember correctly. The important part there is that the 116S was the least expensive of the three when I bought them, but they were more capable than one of the others. I originally got them in late 2019, but I just picked up a 5th for a matching full sized spare that I was even able to fit underneath. Tight, but no problem getting it up there. It is the same tire and size as on the new GMC Sierra AT4. I am happy with the traction on all surfaces including wet, ice, and snow. I am also happy with the noise. It looks pretty good too! Regardless, there are a lot of good tires out there.

Cheers!
[/QUOTE

Thank you sir! I appreciate it.

Scarcar22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
USMC/USA Veteran
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chris,

Semper Fi my felllow Devil Dog! Goodyear Duratrac 275/65R18 There are like three versions of them if you are looking to get them. Tire geeks can explain it all for you if that really matters for what you are doing. I am not pulling a trailer, so I don't care as much about the ply ratings and speed or what not. I figure I won't be driving over 90 mph and the weight will not exceed 2,500 lbs. That means any of the Duratrac tires will work for me. I think mine are 116S if I remember correctly. The important part there is that the 116S was the least expensive of the three when I bought them, but they were more capable than one of the others. I originally got them in late 2019, but I just picked up a 5th for a matching full sized spare that I was even able to fit underneath. Tight, but no problem getting it up there. It is the same tire and size as on the new GMC Sierra AT4. I am happy with the traction on all surfaces including wet, ice, and snow. I am also happy with the noise. It looks pretty good too! Regardless, there are a lot of good tires out there.

Cheers!

Scarcar22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
USMC/USA Veteran
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you sir I appreciate it!

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
Great pictures! But oh Bridgeport... There are many dreadful stories of cold, snowy punishment being dealt out to Marines in Bridgeport...
A squid at one point myself lol. But my brother was the training/logistics Staff Sergeant there in Bridgeport some years back. I'm sure he was the source of a lot of the punishment experienced there :wink:
Sponsored