OEM bed rails?

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I don't know if any "cross rails" that are designed to fit onto bed-rails like this. Do have an example of the type of cross-rails are you are referring to that you could post? They are reasonably sturdy if that's what you are asking about, but I wouldn't attach a tremendous amount of weight to them.
I don't have anything specific in mind, but my neighbor has something like this Thule rack on his 4Runner; I get that the mounts are for a different type of rail, but it's kind of the general idea. I'd like the bed rails to increase my tie-down points for when I'm hauling something bigger in the bed, and ideally, I'd want cross rails that are easy to remove, so that they aren't in the way when I don't need them.
I'm not really looking to put a ton of weight on it. More like being able to put the roof basket from my old Escape on the back when traveling/camping to carry extra gear, or mounts for bikes, skis, etc. I was kind of hoping to avoid sticking it on the roof, so that I can limit wind resistance.
Sponsored

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Has anyone tried taking the roof rails from a larger SUV or minivan and attaching them as bed rails? It seems that they'd be straight enough to fit the bed (as opposed to a smaller SUV or a Subaru, where they're probably curved to conform to the curvature of the roof), and if they're the raised ones (as opposed to flush rails), they'd allow for tying things down. Has anyone given this option a go? I thought that I'd throw this out there before trying to find a junkyard that has some in good condition.
Sponsored