First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
Looking for some help, I bought my 2019 ranger used with about 24k miles in early Jan. And have since out about 1k on it. I love the truck but I’ve noticed an odd sound coming from inside the cab (noticed it about a month ago) at first I thought might be coming from engine but popped the hood and all sounds good, truck runs great as well. This sound really only happens when truck is parked or stoped (that I’m aware) and as of last night I was able to get a video of the sound, I determined it not to be engine related because I was able to produce the sound while turning the key halfway to where the electronics just turn on but engine is off, hopefully somebody has experienced this and it’s not a major issue or perhaps can help my figure out what the heck it is, almost sounds like a disc loading or something.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JSauce

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
Anyone familiar with this??? Really baffled!

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Sounds like part of the hvac syastem. I think thats what its called. Does it happen when you hit recirculation or fresh air? Air blowing through the vents or not blowing through vents when supposed too? Or does one side of the vehicle get hotter than the other or cooler( for dual ac models)? But it does sound like some type of blend door in the hvac system. Check to see if it sounds like its coming from under the floor behind the dash. Open the glove box and see if the sound comes from behind that area. I have experience with blend doors and actuators for the hvac systems. That is what it appears to be from the sound of it. Not a Ranger problem, just a don't make them like they used to kind of problem. Hopefully under warranty. Let me know what you or a mechanic or ford find on the noise.

OP
OP
JSauce

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
no idea, but it could be devices powering up.
or rodents chewing things.
if thats the case, wont be long till you know for sure
I actually considered mice but ruled that out because it’s been doing it for over a month now. I figured by now they would’ve had their fix or something would’ve stopped working.

OP
OP
JSauce

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
Sounds like part of the hvac syastem. I think thats what its called. Does it happen when you hit recirculation or fresh air? Air blowing through the vents or not blowing through vents when supposed too? Or does one side of the vehicle get hotter than the other or cooler( for dual ac models)? But it does sound like some type of blend door in the hvac system. Check to see if it sounds like its coming from under the floor behind the dash. Open the glove box and see if the sound comes from behind that area. I have experience with blend doors and actuators for the hvac systems. That is what it appears to be from the sound of it. Not a Ranger problem, just a don't make them like they used to kind of problem. Hopefully under warranty. Let me know what you or a mechanic or ford find on the noise.
Appreciate the insight! I thought the same based on what I was reading, but both ac and heater work fine, blows great from all vents, but I hear it most from the vent shown in the video, the one to the right of steering wheel. I just find it odd that it happens even when I don’t have the ac or any type of air blowing, it’s been nice weather in AZ lately so just been riding windows cracked but not need for either AC or heater. I think I’ll take it in to my local mechanic, honest guy, I’m relieved it’s not a Ranger or engine problem, that’s for sure! Thanks again!

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
Looking for some help, I bought my 2019 ranger used with about 24k miles in early Jan. And have since out about 1k on it. I love the truck but I’ve noticed an odd sound coming from inside the cab (noticed it about a month ago) at first I thought might be coming from engine but popped the hood and all sounds good, truck runs great as well. This sound really only happens when truck is parked or stoped (that I’m aware) and as of last night I was able to get a video of the sound, I determined it not to be engine related because I was able to produce the sound while turning the key halfway to where the electronics just turn on but engine is off, hopefully somebody has experienced this and it’s not a major issue or perhaps can help my figure out what the heck it is, almost sounds like a disc loading or something.
The audio is too quiet for me to hear, but my ranger made a sound when parked and running. Kind of like something scraping against something inside the dash. I noticed it way back before the pandemic hit. My truck was brand new, like less than two weeks old then, and I would go to lunch and wait for curbside pick-up. The truck would be idling... sometimes off and the windows down... But then I'd hear a scraping sound in the dash. I'd say it sounded like a disc loading, but not mechanical/electrical, if I recall. More like plastic on plastic, but it's been a whole year since then. I'm now at 11000 miles.

Since then, I've been working from home and haven't been in that situation to hear it so I'm not sure if it corrected itself, or I'm just not in the truck when it makes the sound.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Jeromy, I finally just went out tonight and tried both pushing the start button once and then started the truck and didn't hear anything. Like you said it's been nice out so I have no heat on either. Sounds like it's just part of the noisy HVAC system?

OP
OP
JSauce

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
The audio is too quiet for me to hear, but my ranger made a sound when parked and running. Kind of like something scraping against something inside the dash. I noticed it way back before the pandemic hit. My truck was brand new, like less than two weeks old then, and I would go to lunch and wait for curbside pick-up. The truck would be idling... sometimes off and the windows down... But then I'd hear a scraping sound in the dash. I'd say it sounded like a disc loading, but not mechanical/electrical, if I recall. More like plastic on plastic, but it's been a whole year since then. I'm now at 11000 miles.

Since then, I've been working from home and haven't been in that situation to hear it so I'm not sure if it corrected itself, or I'm just not in the truck when it makes the sound.
I would say this is almost identical to what I’ve been hearing! Plastic on plastic scraping/disc loading would best describe it. It doesn’t bother me too much, but I was just worried (as we tend to be with our trucks) that something more sinister was happening haha. If yours has been okay for a year I don’t think I’m too worried about it, mine runs like a champ, just never heard anything like it before. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
JSauce

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
Jeromy, I finally just went out tonight and tried both pushing the start button once and then started the truck and didn't hear anything. Like you said it's been nice out so I have no heat on either. Sounds like it's just part of the noisy HVAC system?
Thank you for checking! I think I’m just going to let it be, I have a local guy Lowery’s Garage is the place, guy does really good work on both mine and wife’s vehicles for years, I’ll just stop by and see if he can confirm there’s nothing g major going on. Also, tuner is arriving Saturday!! :fistbump:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thank you for checking! I think I’m just going to let it be, I have a local guy Lowery’s Garage is the place, guy does really good work on both mine and wife’s vehicles for years, I’ll just stop by and see if he can confirm there’s nothing g major going on. Also, tuner is arriving Saturday!! :fistbump:
Anytime! Hopefully it arrives early enough because Livernois is open Saturday until 1 pm CST. You might be able to get yours uploaded to them before they close.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
I would say this is almost identical to what I’ve been hearing! Plastic on plastic scraping/disc loading would best describe it. It doesn’t bother me too much, but I was just worried (as we tend to be with our trucks) that something more sinister was happening haha. If yours has been okay for a year I don’t think I’m too worried about it, mine runs like a champ, just never heard anything like it before. Thanks for the reply!
Very welcome and happy to help! Actually, I had forgotten about it until your post. Nothing sinister that I know of, and I've had several long, multi-hour trips since then with no issues. :)

OP
OP
JSauce

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
Anytime! Hopefully it arrives early enough because Livernois is open Saturday until 1 pm CST. You might be able to get yours uploaded to them before they close.
Might have to wait until Monday, UPS says scheduled arrival 6pm our time I believe:crying: , some good things are worth the wait though!

OP
OP
JSauce

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
Very welcome and happy to help! Actually, I had forgotten about it until your post. Nothing sinister that I know of, and I've had several long, multi-hour trips since then with no issues. :)
Once I have it checked out with my mechanic, I’ll report back, I’m sure it’s nothing, just one of those “characteristic” things that can occur on some Rangers.
Sponsored