First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Of the front license plate bracket, IMO Ford should have placed it lower on the front bumper so as not to disrupt the gap line between the grill lower fascia and top of the bumper.
What do other members think?
(Thanks to MT19Ranger, used the image of your 2019)

IMG-6490.jpg
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Of the front license plate bracket, IMO Ford should have placed it lower on the front bumper so as not to disrupt the gap line between the grill lower fascia and top of the bumper.
What do other members think?
(Thanks to MT19Ranger, used the image of your 2019)

IMG-6490.jpg

I think Ford had to pick this spot for a universal mount because it would've covered the sensors for those with the adaptive cruise control. It's just easier on the assembly line to have them all in the same place.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think Ford had to pick this spot for a universal mount because it would've covered the sensors for those with the adaptive cruise control. It's just easier on the assembly line to have them all in the same place.
So very true, besides where I've proposed would have required mounting holes in the bumper for the plate upper attachment.
This would have required some sort of plug to cover these holes in those locations where front plates are not required.
Such plugs would stick out like sore thumbs...and not to mention added manufacturing costs, something that would cause the bean counters to get their panties in a bunch...
:lipssealed:

rojizostang

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4 sport, 2017 Ford Explorer limited, 2013 Ford F150 RCSB Roush tvs supercharged
removing the front license plate bracket was my first mod lol. even though we're supposed to run a front plate in texas, i've been driving my '13 f150 for 5 years without one and have only been stopped once and given a warning.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
removing the front license plate bracket was my first mod lol. even though we're supposed to run a front plate in texas, i've been driving my '13 f150 for 5 years without one and have only been stopped once and given a warning.
Not so here on Oahu (Honolulu County), a certain group of "elite motorists" (Tesla owners, need I say more? and "Ricers") have decided not to run front plates even though they are required. The infraction is considered an equipment violation so they can either pay the fine (a slap on the wrist) or go to court,
90% of them elect to pay the fine and merrily continue on without front plates.
As a result, law enforcement is targeting ALL motorists without front plates and city lawmakers want to increase the fine heavily, to the tune of $500.
I've always run front plates on all my vehicles and will continue to do so, lucky you live Texas!

PS- I've had personalized plates since the eighties, I want to get all of my moneys worth for the extra fee...lol

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm glad we only have a rear plate here so when I bought my Ranger I made sure to have them write on the PDI list to not install the front bracket.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad we only have a rear plate here so when I bought my Ranger I made sure to have them write on the PDI list to not install the front bracket.
Yeah.....Same only the rear required. I have a small collection of front plate brackets from a variety of cars and trucks LOL

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Here in PA we still have no front plate required which is appreciated for those of us with sports cars. I’m shocked they haven’t gone this route over the years since we’ve adopted many emission BS earlier than others.

Like you @Mokume i agree about the fart can ricers. Shame they ruin it for the others in the beautiful Hawaii. There’s some cool alternatives for easy removal for them to show off to the high school kids at car shows. :crackup:

It does seem like they could’ve designed a better spot. It does remind me of the 11+ F150 with the 3.5 that moved it to the side for more entry to the FMIC. That was always a good way I could spot a new (Compared to my 10 with the archaic 5.4) F150 when they came out that had the powerhouse. :sunglasses: That seemed like an afterthought too.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah.....Same only the rear required. I have a small collection of front plate brackets from a variety of cars and trucks LOL
I've only had 2 trucks since moving out here but I still have my Tacoma one sitting on the shelf in the garage along with the Ranger one lol. I just hate the bracket on if you're not required to have a front plate and taking it off leaves those large ugly holes in your front bumper.

@Mokume... I'm to cheap to pay any extra for personalized plates.lol

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer to moving to a state where this stupid law doesn't apply:like:

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here in PA we still have no front plate required which is appreciated for those of us with sports cars. I’m shocked they haven’t gone this route over the years since we’ve adopted many emission BS earlier than others.

Like you @Mokume i agree about the fart can ricers. Shame they ruin it for the others in the beautiful Hawaii. There’s some cool alternatives for easy removal for them to show off to the high school kids at car shows. :crackup:

It does seem like they could’ve designed a better spot. It does remind me of the 11+ F150 with the 3.5 that moved it to the side for more entry to the FMIC. That was always a good way I could spot a new (Compared to my 10 with the archaic 5.4) F150 when they came out that had the powerhouse. :sunglasses: That seemed like an afterthought too.
In retrospect, we Hawaii motorists should consider ourselves lucky as there are no periodic smog checks for vehicles here, so the front plate requirement is inconsequential.
We are blessed with natural tradewinds that seemingly blow all traces of air pollution south of the island chain over the Pacific, but when the winds shift and blow from the south, Honolulu can look like LA. During this weather pattern, Oahu will also see emissions from the volcano Kilauea on the Big Island (Hawaii) which we call VOG. Hawaii island is 200 miles southeast of Oahu, Maui will also see volcanic emissions at the same time.
We do, however, have annual safety checks for all cars/light-duty trucks here, during this inspection proof of no-fault insurance is required to be presented.
Many unscrupulous vehicle owners will take out coverage just to pass safety checks, then cancel the policy after they have passed inspection, there are thousands of uninsured/underinsured vehicles on Hawaii's roadways, just to save a few dollars.
Attached are images of my '02 CR-V's rear plates with registration tags and the safety check stickers.

20191223_060038.jpg

20191223_060047.jpg
Sponsored