North Georgia

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Had a chance to get out to the wilderness the past few days and do some truck stuff. It was muddy in spots since it rained for about 48 straight hours.

Took one unmaintained road to the top of a mountain at about 3800 ft. Pics don't do it justice. It was barely one vehicle wide, and kinda straight up in a couple places. Overnight, fog rolled in above about 2000 ft, and our campsite was at 3200.

Driving was fun, camping not as much.

Anyways, a few pics.
20231013_142854.jpg

20231013_145937.jpg

20231013_144600.jpg

20231013_170321.jpg

20231013_173948.jpg

20231014_080610.jpg
Sponsored

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
..... Driving was fun, camping not as much.
I dunno.... looks pretty good to me.
Any opportunity to get out is a good opportunity.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
here's another little trail pic

7.jpg
Funny thing, I was stationed at Warner Robbin’s last 6 months of my enlistment, We used to run the trails out there. I got stuck in red clay on a logging trail in my Chevy 4wd truck. My friend tried to pull me out with his Dodge 4wd. And he got stuck too. There was a D8 on the side of the road, he didn’t blink an eye, went over, started it up, came over and pulled us out. Just dumb luck ..

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Had a chance to get out to the wilderness the past few days and do some truck stuff. It was muddy in spots since it rained for about 48 straight hours.

Took one unmaintained road to the top of a mountain at about 3800 ft. Pics don't do it justice. It was barely one vehicle wide, and kinda straight up in a couple places. Overnight, fog rolled in above about 2000 ft, and our campsite was at 3200.

Driving was fun, camping not as much.

Anyways, a few pics.
20231013_142854.jpg

20231013_145937.jpg

20231013_144600.jpg

20231013_170321.jpg

20231013_173948.jpg

20231014_080610.jpg
That's a good looking truck! Where did you go? I took mine up US 129 shortly after I bought it and camped at Vogel SP. I didn't hit any trails but drove it hard on some of the back roads, finding myself in the midst of some rally racers. I kept up for awhile, shifting manually in Sport mode as I maneuvered the curves. What a rush! I finally pulled over to let the racers go by and got a lot of thumbs ups as they passed me.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
That's a good looking truck! Where did you go? I took mine up US 129 shortly after I bought it and camped at Vogel SP. I didn't hit any trails but drove it hard on some of the back roads, finding myself in the midst of some rally racers. I kept up for awhile, shifting manually in Sport mode as I maneuvered the curves. What a rush! I finally pulled over to let the racers go by and got a lot of thumbs ups as they passed me.
Thanks! Looks like we have the same truck!

The campsite was Lake Conasauga. It's only open til the end of Oct, then opens up again in March or April. The roads were around there - exploring in Cohutta wilderness. Some of those roads are closed Jan - Mar. It's about 2 hours from you.

I see you're in Hiram - I'm just up the road in NW Paulding. Look up a place called Johns Mountain. It's a bit NW of Adairsville, so it's pretty close. It's an easy gravel road drive, but takes you right to the top of Johns Mountain, which is about 1000 ft higher than everything around it. You get a great look at the hills and valleys from there. As a bonus, you can stop by Buc-ee's on the way to grab some jerky.

If you haven't, download the USFS Visitor Map app. I also use the Gaia GPS app, and there is some good info on trails to ride on Trails Offroad.

It's a great time of year to go riding around up there. There was lots of color, but still a few weeks away from peak.

That view of the mountains was at a place called Mountaintown Overlook.

OP
OP
ylwjacket

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
here's a few more:

back in the summer. same campsite at the lake.

cona.jpg

same trip, toting kayaks. i don't know that this overlook is named, it just surprises you as you come around a sharp curve in the forest, and there it is.

blue ridge.jpg

McKeown Falls at the top of Johns Mountain. Gotta hike up there from the bottom (nice trail, alot of walking) or down to them from the top.

McKeown Falls.jpg

Johns Mountain. Pic doesn't do it justice.

johns.jpg

UncleWillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT Tremor
Love it! My wife (then GF) used to do little day trips around Johns Mountain and Rising Fawn. We actually stumbled upon McKeown Falls by happenstance when we weren't quite ready to go home and decided to park at the top and hike the loop to the falls. It was in the spring and the entire understory was covered up in blooming sweetshrub the smell was incredible. Lots of water coming out of the fall at that point.

We liked it out that way, but tended to spend most our over-nighter time east of there more towards Dawsonville and Dahlonega, and then a lot of time near Demorest and Rabun County.

UncleWillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT Tremor
If you haven't, download the USFS Visitor Map app. I also use the Gaia GPS app, and there is some good info on trails to ride on Trails Offroad.
I'll have to look into Gaia and the USFS Visitor Map app. When doing Forest Service roads I always ended up taking notes or creating a map with "Google My Maps" way before we left the house to plan a route. So many of these roads aren't shown as a viable route in most typical navigation apps. I also found OnX to have limited utility here in the SE.
Sponsored