New Ranger Fx4 Off-Road: Keep my Fox 2.0 or the new "Ford off-road tuned"?

Rampantroo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Guys,

I just got back from the dealer, and need to swap my old ride back to stock and go pick up my new '21 Rapid Red Lariat Fx4. Lots of reasons for the swap, but I LOVE the FOX 2.0 Leveling Kit I have on my '19 XLT that I traded in.

My question is, what are peoples thoughts on the two suspensions? I really like the firmness of the Fox 2.0, but I am not sure if I will be 'moding' out some serious advantage the stock shocks have.

I have till Friday to decide what I am going to keep on the new truck, but either way, I am turning the old one in with stock suspension.

Thanks for any opinions, and I will get pictures of the new ride as soon as I pick it up.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I would 100% swap the Fox 2.0 into the new truck. There is no way the 2021 FX4 is different, especially since they have the Tremor with Fox now, which isn't the same as Fox 2.0

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
If you want to take them off and sell them I’ll give you actual money for them. PM with details if interested.

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
I did almost this exact swap. Had Ford Fox 2.0 on a 2019 XLT FX4 that I sold to Carvana. Bought a lightly used 2020 Lariat FX4. I swapped the 2019 XLT back to the stock FX4 suspension before I sold it, and then put the Fox 2.0 on the Lariat. I had some time to drive around the Lariat with the FX4 before the swap, and seriously it's such a big difference it's not even funny. The FX4 suspension is too soft up front, too stiff in back, and underdamped all around. You can't really fix the stiffness in the rear without new leafs, but just better damping that the Fox 2.0 offers makes a world of difference. No more flailing back and forth when you drive over an uneven surface. Fox 2.0 makes it feel planted and controlled. Up front, the Ford Fox setup stiffens it up a bit in a good way, making it feel more planted, and less body roll and diving when turning/braking. The better damping up front makes a world of difference as well. I'd say the Ford Fox kit is a good balance between on and off road performance. Icons, Fox 2.5, or Kings are going to be better off road, but the Fox 2.0 is a major major upgrade over the stock FX4 suspension. If you have the regular Fox 2.0 vs the "Ford Performance" version, I believe there will only be a slight difference, with the Ford Performance version being maybe a little stiffer based on the different springs. My guess is Ford spec'ed the FP version of the Fox 2.0 kit to have a little stiffer spring setup to offer slightly better on-road performance.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I did almost this exact swap. Had Ford Fox 2.0 on a 2019 XLT FX4 that I sold to Carvana. Bought a lightly used 2020 Lariat FX4. I swapped the 2019 XLT back to the stock FX4 suspension before I sold it, and then put the Fox 2.0 on the Lariat. I had some time to drive around the Lariat with the FX4 before the swap, and seriously it's such a big difference it's not even funny. The FX4 suspension is too soft up front, too stiff in back, and underdamped all around. You can't really fix the stiffness in the rear without new leafs, but just better damping that the Fox 2.0 offers makes a world of difference. No more flailing back and forth when you drive over an uneven surface. Fox 2.0 makes it feel planted and controlled. Up front, the Ford Fox setup stiffens it up a bit in a good way, making it feel more planted, and less body roll and diving when turning/braking. The better damping up front makes a world of difference as well. I'd say the Ford Fox kit is a good balance between on and off road performance. Icons, Fox 2.5, or Kings are going to be better off road, but the Fox 2.0 is a major major upgrade over the stock FX4 suspension. If you have the regular Fox 2.0 vs the "Ford Performance" version, I believe there will only be a slight difference, with the Ford Performance version being maybe a little stiffer based on the different springs. My guess is Ford spec'ed the FP version of the Fox 2.0 kit to have a little stiffer spring setup to offer slightly better on-road performance.
I have the Fox ones because the spring rate on the Ford ones was much higher. There are 11 coils on the Fox 2.0's and 9 on the FRPP Fox 2.0's. While I haven't driven both of the fox kits, the stock to Fox difference is ridiculous. That said, I wouldn't really trust Ford to engineer proper shock over Fox.
Sponsored