Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.notion.so
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4 xlt, 1988 ford ranger 4x4 xlt
Hello,

I bought a 2019 XLT FX4 ranger in Sept of 2019. Ive done quit a few road trips in it now and some light off roading. The truck is pretty stock. I added some shrockworks rock sliders, and an ARE topper that I built a deck in for camping. The deck and camping gear stay in the truck 99% of the time. So far its been a great truck.

I'm not sure if this is the correct board to post to, but because I have questions about the engine/suspension/etc this seemed like the best place to me.

What I don't like:
1) When accelerating to pass there is often lag. Some times it is fairly significant between hitting the gas and having the truck respond. This is pretty annoying, and potentially unsafe?
2) The suspension is very soft. Going over even small bumps causes the truck to rock like a boat.
3) On rougher or washboard roads I get a fair amount of bump steer. So far this hasn't been a real issue, but it does feel concerning when the steering wheel is suddenly turned in a direction you don't want to go.

What I really like:
1) I get pretty good gas millage. I recently drove ~2,000 miles from the San Francisco Bay area to Baja California, Mexico and averaged 22.5 mpg. This was a combination of highway, city, dirt, and off road driving.
2) The truck is fairly quiet. Compared to my 1988 ranger or my 2012 accent I get very little road/tire noise.
3) With the deck/camping gear in the back of the truck it sits pretty flat without a leveling kit.

What I would like feedback on:
1) To address the acceleration lag, I was thinking about the Ford Power Pack tune.
A) Will this actually help with the acceleration lag?​
B) From what I have read most people do not see a significant reduction in MPG and some even report a slight increase in fuel efficiency. Is this correct?​
C) I am not a particularly aggressive driver. I don't really care about going fast, and rarely tow. I get on the highway and set my cruise control at 70mph and call it a day unless I am passing someone.​
D) The rough shifting some people report doesn't really bother me, and happens only occasionally in my truck.​

2) To address the soft suspension, I was looking at the Fox "Tuned by Ford Performance" 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks and coils.
A) It is my understanding that this will lift the truck 1-2 inches.​
B) What sort of impact will that have on my MPG?​
C) The advertising says that it will level the truck. But because of the deck/camping gear in my truck it is already level. Does this mean I will need to add some blocks to the rear suspension to keep it level?​
D) Will my truck look stupid with stock tires and a lift? If so what would be the impact of larger tires on my MPG?​
E) Will a lift make the bump steer worse?​

3) Any suggestions on what to do for the bump steer?

truck.png
Sponsored

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Install some Bilstein 5100's lot of us have and it really tames the Ranger wallow as I call it. Can't address the other stuff since other than the shock change my truck is bone stock
Winner Winner Chicken ? Dinner ? on this suggestion

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I bought a 2019 XLT FX4 ranger in Sept of 2019. Ive done quit a few road trips in it now and some light off roading. The truck is pretty stock. I added some shrockworks rock sliders, and an ARE topper that I built a deck in for camping. The deck and camping gear stay in the truck 99% of the time. So far its been a great truck.

I'm not sure if this is the correct board to post to, but because I have questions about the engine/suspension/etc this seemed like the best place to me.

What I don't like:
1) When accelerating to pass there is often lag. Some times it is fairly significant between hitting the gas and having the truck respond. This is pretty annoying, and potentially unsafe?
2) The suspension is very soft. Going over even small bumps causes the truck to rock like a boat.
3) On rougher or washboard roads I get a fair amount of bump steer. So far this hasn't been a real issue, but it does feel concerning when the steering wheel is suddenly turned in a direction you don't want to go.

What I really like:
1) I get pretty good gas millage. I recently drove ~2,000 miles from the San Francisco Bay area to Baja California, Mexico and averaged 22.5 mpg. This was a combination of highway, city, dirt, and off road driving.
2) The truck is fairly quiet. Compared to my 1988 ranger or my 2012 accent I get very little road/tire noise.
3) With the deck/camping gear in the back of the truck it sits pretty flat without a leveling kit.

1) To address the acceleration lag, I was thinking about the Ford Power Pack tune.
The lag is likely turbo lag so yes that would help being in sport mode will too but will reduce mpg some say tow mode helps as well.
B) From what I have read most people do not see a significant reduction in MPG and some even report a slight increase in fuel efficiency. Is this correct?​
C) I am not a particularly aggressive driver. I don't really care about going fast, and rarely tow. I get on the highway and set my cruise control at 70mph and call it a day unless I am passing someone.​
D) The rough shifting some people report doesn't really bother me, and happens only occasionally in my truck.​

2) To address the soft suspension, I was looking at the Fox "Tuned by Ford Performance" 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks and coils.
As far as I know you can do adjustable ones that will keep stock height but I don't know if the ford ones allow for that, the regular fox ones (no appreciable difference other than being adjustable) you can keep at stock height
leveling or lifting will reduce but not a whole lot
C) The advertising says that it will level the truck. But because of the deck/camping gear in my truck it is already level. Does this mean I will need to add some blocks to the rear suspension to keep it level?​
You will be squatting unless you adjust accordingly yes if you get the adjustable ones for the rear you can help compensate
D) Will my truck look stupid with stock tires and a lift? If so what would be the impact of larger tires on my MPG?​
that is personal preference but depending on how high you go yes it can look like it is on stilts bigger and heavier tires will reduce your mpg somewhat significantly and beyond a certain size you will need to do some surgery
shouldnt affect it
it is a natural thing it is better that the wheel give than something break because something has to give and based on what you are driving over clearly the terrain isnt gonna budge just be mindful of the lines you pick

truck.png

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Install some Bilstein 5100's lot of us have and it really tames the Ranger wallow as I call it. Can't address the other stuff since other than the shock change my truck is bone stock
yeah after upgrading the shocks it was night and day way more composed and controlled

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
I like to see this number reported because many members on here report 25+ mpg and it is misleading, and makes other members question their trucks and the EPA ratings. The truck is certainly capable of 25+ mpg, but under great conditions (highway driving with no hills, little wind resistance, 55-65 mph, etc.). Under true mixed driving conditions the EPA ratings are nearly spot on.

As for the lag, many members just use S mode and find it more responsive, or you could install a throttle controller as the throttle is fairly numb as well. If you do the two options combined with a tune, you have a rocket truck.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I can't recommend the Bilsteins 5100s on the rear highly enough.

A 30 minute job in your driveway and it will make a world of difference in the handling, removing the majority of the wallowing you're experiencing.

Put them on the front too (a lot more involved labor wise) and your truck will drive and handle great.

As far as the lag, give Tow mode a try. S mode will definitely reduce the lag.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Really like my Bilstein 5100s.

I don’t have lag like that when passing. In fact, I’m stock (no tune or engine upgrades) and I feel like it accelerates quickly even from 70- 85 if needing to pass. That turbo just kicks right in.

OP
OP
Stephen Abbene

Stephen Abbene

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.notion.so
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4 xlt, 1988 ford ranger 4x4 xlt
Thanks. I took a quick look at them and they seem pretty nice. Their documentation says that they can lift the truck .5"-2". Did you put larger tires on after? Did you see any impact to your MPG?

Thank you Squatchranger for your detailed reply.

The lag is likely turbo lag so yes that would help being in sport mode will too but will reduce mpg some say tow mode helps as well.
I have noticed that S mode does help quite a bit. I have never driven with it on long enough to see what impact it has on my MPG. But I do frequently forget to turn it on when it would be handy. I usually use it on short on ramps, or places where I have to turn left across highways. Things like that.

D) Will my truck look stupid with stock tires and a lift? If so what would be the impact of larger tires on my MPG?
that is personal preference but depending on how high you go yes it can look like it is on stilts bigger and heavier tires will reduce your mpg somewhat significantly and beyond a certain size you will need to do some surgery
That was my expectation. I see that you run some fairly large tires. Do you have any before/after numbers?

it is a natural thing it is better that the wheel give than something break because something has to give and based on what you are driving over clearly the terrain isnt gonna budge just be mindful of the lines you pick
That makes sense, but it does seem slightly more intense in this truck vs. my old ranger. Maybe I am not as careful with this one.

I like to see this number reported because many members on here report 25+ mpg and it is misleading, and makes other members question their trucks and the EPA ratings. The truck is certainly capable of 25+ mpg, but under great conditions (highway driving with no hills, little wind resistance, 55-65 mph, etc.). Under true mixed driving conditions the EPA ratings are nearly spot on.
The truck seems fairly consistent on its millage for me. I almost always get just over 400 miles out of a tank.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I use the S mode when I need to accelerate quickly, then I shift it into D for highway sections when I just cruise. I installed Fox 2.0 rear shocks in the rear only and it helped settle down the wallow quite a bit. I'm also using a Rough Country 2.5 level lift in the front to minimize the rake and i installed Bora 1" spacers all around.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So the Ford/Fox kit will actually only raise the front of the truck up to 2 inches of there is no extra accessories on the front. As for the rear it only replaces the shocks. If you want to mai rain a comfortable ride and increase clearance I would suggest the Old Man EMU suspension. I already have a noce write up in the suspension section of the Forum. Biggest thing is it will replace all springs and shocks and give you a little extra articulation in the rear(important with the OffRoad driving).

For the power issue(not really an issue) the best you can do it get it tuned but even then you may still experience the same thing.

Hope this helps

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

What I don't like:

What I really like:

truck.png
There are threads on here as long as your arm about the points you raise here. Long story short, a tune will improve the lag, and a leveling lift will help the suspension issues. I was unhappy with both of these issues in my 2019 FX4 Lariat (bought new, almost paid for), but solved them both with the Ford Performance Power Pack and FP Leveling Lift kit. (You can find discounts on both from Levittown Ford Parts.) Lots of other options are discussed on the forum, but these two mods worked for me, and I have been happy with my truck since then. Happy Trails!

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I took a quick look at them and they seem pretty nice. Their documentation says that they can lift the truck .5"-2". Did you put larger tires on after? Did you see any impact to your MPG?

Thank you Squatchranger for your detailed reply.

I have noticed that S mode does help quite a bit. I have never driven with it on long enough to see what impact it has on my MPG. But I do frequently forget to turn it on when it would be handy. I usually use it on short on ramps, or places where I have to turn left across highways. Things like that.

That was my expectation. I see that you run some fairly large tires. Do you have any before/after numbers?

That makes sense, but it does seem slightly more intense in this truck vs. my old ranger. Maybe I am not as careful with this one.

The truck seems fairly consistent on its millage for me. I almost always get just over 400 miles out of a tank.
It also could be because our steering is electric and has a bunch of adaptive weird features vs just an old fashioned hydraulic system that is gonna have less give at least initially
Sponsored