Need ideas for custom aluminum fabrication to attach bar to existing Diamondback cover cleats...

MST Overland

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Attorney
I want to run a piece of aluminum from one cleat to another across the Diamondback cover. My ideal solution would be to bolt something in place of the existing cleats with tamper resistant hardware so I can attach some fork mount bike racks. I want to avoid drilling into the cover as I may end up with an overland bed rack system next year and don't want to deal with filling holes. Does anyone know of an aluminum extrusion company that may be willing to mount a couple custom ends on a c-channel or t-channel? See red line in photo - that is where the rack would mount across the cover and about 2 inches above. (edit, the truck in the photo is not mine - I think I got it off this forum a few weeks ago...).

Diamondback.jpg

Inkedranger Diamondback_LI.jpg
Sponsored

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Build something with extruded tubing and either bolt it all together or get friendly with a welder. Security torx screws work great and deter the unmotivated passerby. 8020 or the like for extruded tubing, to ensure some kind of rigidity. Maybe make a adapter plate that fits the existing bolt pattern on each end, and end mount those plates on a piece of 8020? Then when you mount any hardware to the 8020 you can position it anywhere along the length.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm currently trying to figure out how I want to adapt some bed-rack sections to the diamondback cover, so when nothing is mounted on them I can still open the cover.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Use square or rectangular aluminum extrusion. After measuring TWICE then cut away ends to leave a tab of one face. Same on both sides. Then bend the tabs down to match the angle of the diamond cover. Use the tie down hasps to transfer the hole patterns. Paint and attach

OP
OP
MST Overland

MST Overland

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Attorney
How did I not know that this 80/20 existed??? I just checked on a site and they will custom cut sections of all different sizes and configurations at any angle and provide the fasteners and joints that work with it. This particular t-track will allow me to place fork mounts at an angle... Good stuff!

3075 track.jpg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
How did I not know that this 80/20 existed??? I just checked on a site and they will custom cut sections of all different sizes and configurations at any angle and provide the fasteners and joints that work with it. This particular t-track will allow me to place fork mounts at an angle... Good stuff!

3075 track.jpg
80/20 is some pretty remarkable material with limitless uses. Look at all the extrusion types because there are quite a few. Many of them you can purchase black anodized too. You can fab the stuff yourself with a chop saw and a new carbide blade. Use a wax stick to condition the blade before cuts and it will keep the blade from loading up with aluminum. I use this stuff at work to build automation machines constantly.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Use square or rectangular aluminum extrusion. After measuring TWICE then cut away ends to leave a tab of one face. Same on both sides. Then bend the tabs down to match the angle of the diamond cover. Use the tie down hasps to transfer the hole patterns. Paint and attach
Lol, yes. Mis-cutting extrusion can be a $$$ mistake.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

3075 track.jpg
The stuff is wonderful. Looking into this bed rack system made of the stuff: (1) XTR1 Bed Rack for Ford Ranger – Xtrusion Overland (xtrusion-overland.com)

OP
OP
MST Overland

MST Overland

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Attorney
Saw this on Instagram today. A company is going to make mounts that attach to the cleat mounts. And it uses standard 80/20 as crossbars.

Screenshot_20210311-225454.png

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Consider the generic clamp on roof rack cross bars.

Available in a variety of widths, most have locking covers for the clamps. May need to trim the lower clamping lever to fit inside the cleat.

Murph

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
customer service
I want to run a piece of aluminum from one cleat to another across the Diamondback cover. My ideal solution would be to bolt something in place of the existing cleats with tamper resistant hardware so I can attach some fork mount bike racks. I want to avoid drilling into the cover as I may end up with an overland bed rack system next year and don't want to deal with filling holes. Does anyone know of an aluminum extrusion company that may be willing to mount a couple custom ends on a c-channel or t-channel? See red line in photo - that is where the rack would mount across the cover and about 2 inches above. (edit, the truck in the photo is not mine - I think I got it off this forum a few weeks ago...).

Diamondback.jpg

Inkedranger Diamondback_LI.jpg
Hey.....Check out my thread! Actually, I like some of your ideas better.
Sponsored

Last edited: