The “I’m too cheap to buy it so I’ll make it” thread

Deleted member 1634

So I've got a topper with a windoor on the driver's side. I want to find or create some sort of open top box/tray to hang from the side on the inside so I can open the windoor and grab or place things in it for easy quick access. There are things out there designed for this, but not many, and either too big or not exactly what I want. I've considered building one from aluminum sheet, but then my wife brought home a couple outdoor planter boxes that hang on the deck railing and that got me thinking. So I was looking through all the different designs of those planter boxes, there are some that would work, but again, not exactly what I want.

Anyone have any thoughts, insight, or experience in such a thing? Building one out of aluminum sheet is still an option and might be a good project to do stuck at home like we are.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Still locked down & spending time out in the shop. Sent for a carbide scribe to mark knife edge stock to make lines for the grinder. Made this. Just the aluminum block(typo!) milled, drilled & tapped to hold the cutting bar. I use number drills for the depth shims.
2zkAU9l.jpg

Made this knife as well. Helps being OCD sometime...
60J4DCH.jpg

Last edited:

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Still locked down & spending time out in the shop. Sent for a carbide scribe to mark knife edge stock to make lines for the grinder. Made this. Just the aluminum black milled, drilled & tapped to hold the cutting bar. I use number drills for the depth shims.
2zkAU9l.jpg

Made this knife as well. Helps being OCD sometime...
60J4DCH.jpg
Nice knife. I made my first just a little while ago out of a file. Don't have a forge yet, so that was a learning curve. Hopefully once this lockdown is over I'll be able to gather the needed supplies.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
20201016_020341.jpg
Too cheap for the one that goes between the 12v outlets

20201021_151715.jpg
Didn't want to spend 200 bucks on the westin light kit..

20200928_173358.jpg

Racks that go over a camper were too expensive

20200525_191541.jpg

This was cheaper than buying a new exhaust
Sponsored