First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
I am in the beginning stages of building a bed camper. Inspirations are from the Ripcord DIY Bed Camper and following other builds around the internet. I will be updating this thread as I progress through the build of the camper. I will focus on prepping the truck bed for the bed camper first then I will work on the actual camper. I plan to run the ADV Fiberglass fenders and bedsides so I will be designing some bed rail braces and bed stiffeners. Im not sure I will need them but for a warm and fuzzy feeling I will make them.

Once I complete the bed camper I will work on designing some storage in the bed. I already have some ideas and once I get the kinks worked out I will be sure to update the thread. I have quickly noticed, even before I purchased the truck, that there was no bolts through the bottom of the bed. So mounting a gear plate to the bed will either need holes drilled or some how utilize the tie downs that are bolted to the side of the bed.

Id love to see some cool ideas on the storage you built and also how you mounted everything securely.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
As I'm sure you will build your truck the way you want it dont be suprized if you change ideas(especially after you just did something you dont like) I suspect it will come out very well.

As a suggestion if you plan to hit many different types of trails might I suggest not going with the ADV fenders? The reason I say this is simply due to the fact some trails you dont want a wider vehicle. This is especially true in Colorado.

As for an idea that you could use for your build is the Hurricane Fab tailgate storage compartment. I have it and can say it works well!! Designed in Australia and built in the US!! If anything its nice convenient storage for smaller/lighter items. Yes it has a price but possible to do(took 4-5 hours to install if memory serves me right). Below are pictures of it.

Have fun with the build!!

0908211824.jpg

0908211823.jpg

OP
OP
TopoRanger

TopoRanger

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
As I'm sure you will build your truck the way you want it dont be suprized if you change ideas(especially after you just did something you dont like) I suspect it will come out very well.

As a suggestion if you plan to hit many different types of trails might I suggest not going with the ADV fenders? The reason I say this is simply due to the fact some trails you dont want a wider vehicle. This is especially true in Colorado.

As for an idea that you could use for your build is the Hurricane Fab tailgate storage compartment. I have it and can say it works well!! Designed in Australia and built in the US!! If anything its nice convenient storage for smaller/lighter items. Yes it has a price but possible to do(took 4-5 hours to install if memory serves me right). Below are pictures of it.

Have fun with the build!!

0908211824.jpg

0908211823.jpg
I do really like that addition to the tailgate! I currently have the Mountain Hatch on the tailgate. I am tempted to jump and add the tailgate storage instead. I think I would Line-X the lid to keep it from getting all scratched up.

As far as the ADV fenders, its very tight trails here on the east coast also. I've wheeled with another Ranger with the ADV fenders and he was clearing the tighter trails I have been on.

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
Here's mine so far, also inspired by Ripcord but I wasn't looking for a wedge camper on top. I had the roof rack rails cut at Send, Cut Send, and have been waiting on the 8020 extrusion for the rack for a while. Still working on the top panel and the back hatch. I also have a window with a slider installed on the front bulkhead from an old topper. The back side panels are tinted and the bottom back corner pops open. I wanted the option to get some air circulation back there if we need to have our dogs with us.
20210912_150241.jpg

OP
OP
TopoRanger

TopoRanger

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
Here's mine so far, also inspired by Ripcord but I wasn't looking for a wedge camper on top. I had the roof rack rails cut at Send, Cut Send, and have been waiting on the 8020 extrusion for the rack for a while. Still working on the top panel and the back hatch. I also have a window with a slider installed on the front bulkhead from an old topper. The back side panels are tinted and the bottom back corner pops open. I wanted the option to get some air circulation back there if we need to have our dogs with us.
20210912_150241.jpg
Oh that looks awesome! Do you have any more photos of that?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
love it, cant wait to see what you guys come up with
I don't use the bed for camping, I have a tent an' stuff, but here's what I use for jumper cables, bungees, towing stuff, etc., everything that was in the bed floor compartments of the Sport Trac I had before. Plastic storage tote with a pair of 1" holes and a tiedown to the bed hooks. Not shown are the lid and tonneau cover. If you're going to use the bed for sleeping then you're probably best to buy or build a deck with drawers.

Ranger Box.jpeg

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
This guy has a nice build but he's in South America where you can get a regular cab long-bed.

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
Here is the front window. It's just from an old topper I picked up off Facebook marketplace. Much cheaper than buying a new one, they run over 200 new and I paid 50 bucks for the topper from an 20 year old f-150. I used rivnuts to secure it to the bulkhead.
IMG_20211106_135100.jpg

I stole this idea from Super Pacific. I thought it would be handy to add some molle panels on the front so I added some 1/4" 20 rivnuts to the front frame rails top and bottom.
IMG_20211106_135138.jpg

This is how the back two windows will pop open. Just some used hinge locks from an F-250 I picked up on ebay.
IMG_20211106_145735.jpg

And then the simple brackets I made for the roof rack rails. I used Q-cad to draw up the rails, it's just a basic 2-D cad program and Send Cut Send had them to me in a week.
IMG_20211106_145752.jpg

OP
OP
TopoRanger

TopoRanger

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
Here is the front window. It's just from an old topper I picked up off Facebook marketplace. Much cheaper than buying a new one, they run over 200 new and I paid 50 bucks for the topper from an 20 year old f-150. I used rivnuts to secure it to the bulkhead.
IMG_20211106_135100.jpg

I stole this idea from Super Pacific. I thought it would be handy to add some molle panels on the front so I added some 1/4" 20 rivnuts to the front frame rails top and bottom.
IMG_20211106_135138.jpg

This is how the back two windows will pop open. Just some used hinge locks from an F-250 I picked up on ebay.
IMG_20211106_145735.jpg

And then the simple brackets I made for the roof rack rails. I used Q-cad to draw up the rails, it's just a basic 2-D cad program and Send Cut Send had them to me in a week.
IMG_20211106_145752.jpg
Oh yeah that’s awesome! I also plan to install some rivnuts around the interior mounting solutions. I’m ready to get started!
Sponsored