More than Satisfied with these truck’s MPG!

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I am the guy who is happy about the mileage it gets under a lead foot, you guys look at the big number.

I look at the small number, that's where this truck shines, you can beat on one of these trucks and about the worst mileage you can average is 15 mpg, I came from a F150 that would regularly be at 7-8 mpg.

Don't get me wrong the mpg on the freeway/highway is good, but the mileage on the throttle is great!!

Here is a great example, 110 mph, 16-17 mpg 2800 rpm at 108 degrees, performed on a closed course, of course!
IMG_2819(1).jpeg
You certainly made me do a double-take when I saw the needle at 110 and the trailer light lit up.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
im satisfied with my mpg. i avg 21 basically all the time and that city driving most times with a few hours back roads and off road. plus i keep a lot of stuff in the truck. literally hundreds of extra pounds.

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
One thing that I think makes a HUGE difference is elevation. Sometimes it's mentioned, but I think it's a much larger factor than we all realize.

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland....it's flat. My driving is a mix of highways, state roads and back roads. A fair amount of stop and go shorter trips and also longer drives. But 95% flat.

I've got my tires down to about 33 psi to soften the ride a bit. I've been using 87 octane and am getting 23.0-23.5 mpg every tank.....just over 3,000 miles total now. I've seen it read as high as 26.0 mpg on a recent road trip.

Also, the few times I hand calc my mileage, the computer has been accurate - actually 0.2 mpg less than hand calc, so it's been conservative.

But again....elevation. If you're anywhere remotely hilly and/or in the mountains, it's pointless to compare numbers to flat drivers.

It also makes a noticeable difference when I accelerate more with my cruise control. When I first bought it, I rode the heck out of the cruise control to see what I could max out. Since then, I've been using my foot more, and I'm probably getting 0.5 MPG less. If I rode the next tank on cruise more often, I'd be pushing 24.0 again. I also have a cap on order....and am hoping to see if that gets me another 1-2 mpg. Would be sweet to get 25ish mpg regularly.

I'll be driving down to NC in 2 weeks....annual OBX trip....I plan on airing the tires up close to 40 and will have the back loaded with plastic tubs carrying our stuff (cap won't be here on time unfortunately). I'm guessing I'll see 26+ on the way down....if I don't get too crazy with 75-80+ mph driving.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Just a heads up, if you get a chance (if you haven’t already), do a few hand calculations using what the pump says you bought with the mileage your odo says you drove.

When I first got my truck, my truck was reporting, I think, in the 25’s. When I checked it against the manual calculation, I lost like 2 mpg. Not terrible and still very happy, just not astounding. ;)
I always compare mine both ways too for a more accurate reading. I'm a little disappointed in the mpg's but can live with it. It's an improvement over my last 4g Ranger.

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I am the guy who is happy about the mileage it gets under a lead foot, you guys look at the big number.

I look at the small number, that's where this truck shines, you can beat on one of these trucks and about the worst mileage you can average is 15 mpg, I came from a F150 that would regularly be at 7-8 mpg.

Don't get me wrong the mpg on the freeway/highway is good, but the mileage on the throttle is great!!

Here is a great example, 110 mph, 16-17 mpg 2800 rpm at 108 degrees, performed on a closed course, of course!
IMG_2819(1).jpeg
Ya, I'm a lead foot that's always in S mode. I guess I should be happy with 20-21.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
My 2019 Lariat is my 4th Ranger. Non leveled, stock tires. Ford Ecoboost Performance Tune, 93 E0 fuel. Consistently average 21-22mpg during my normal driving routine.

My previous 2006 XLT Ranger 4x4, 4.0L motor, averaged 19-20mpg over the same driving conditions using 87 E0. Pretty decent considering the 2019 is larger, heavier, and with quite a bit more power. I easily peg 30-32 highway mpg with the built in trip computer.

Ford did a great job overall with the current gen Ranger.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads up, if you get a chance (if you haven’t already), do a few hand calculations using what the pump says you bought with the mileage your odo says you drove.

When I first got my truck, my truck was reporting, I think, in the 25’s. When I checked it against the manual calculation, I lost like 2 mpg. Not terrible and still very happy, just not astounding. ;)
My truck is always about 1 mpg more optimistic than reality. I use the Fuelio app to track mine.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
My truck is always about 1 mpg more optimistic than reality. I use the Fuelio app to track mine.
Mine was off about 2 (I think) on the optimistic side, I am using the procedure Dave posted to adjust the computer. I haven’t been driving a lot lately, so the calibration work has been on hold.

I using Fuelly app (again thanks Dave). Also been using the same Costco pump and 1st click on the slowest hold open flow, trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. Still thrilled with the results, my 6.2L GM was turning in about 12 in the same driving profile.

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
Dang bros, I'm on 18 MPG by calculation of the truck. I'm not super aggressive with it for the most part because I like to see if I can get that fuel econ number up higher. I'd say 60/40 city highway driving on 89 octane.

Not unhappy with it, but thought I'd be doing better.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Dang bros, I'm on 18 MPG by calculation of the truck. I'm not super aggressive with it for the most part because I like to see if I can get that fuel econ number up higher. I'd say 60/40 city highway driving on 89 octane.

Not unhappy with it, but thought I'd be doing better.
So not scientific by any means but my mileage has gotten better after I crossed the 10,000 mile mark, which was also when the dealer performed the TSB on my truck in regards to transmission shifts. Before that I was stuck at 18mpg too.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
You certainly made me do a double-take when I saw the needle at 110 and the trailer light lit up.
I always drive in tow/Haul mode for the improved trans shifting, I may drive fast but not towing.
Sponsored