First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
Darn landscape comp mower hit a rock and chipped paint on my tailgate. When I dropped it off at auto body shop I took some pics and noticed how off the lights were from each other. Passenger is tight on the bumper which may not be great for flex. I also just noticed that the driver side has a rock chip at bottom. Guess that will need fixed too. The tops of the lights follow the same way, as one gap is more than the other.
0AAFE200-ED29-4C3E-83BD-5F0FFB92088D.png
D01B3642-7582-4D8F-80AB-484A82D28EAF.png
Sponsored

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Usually the holes in the bed/body panels are just a hint larger than the screw/peg that goes into those holes. So there is usually a bit of play (1/16"-1/8"). It really is just a matter of loosening the nuts a bit and shift the lights to the desired position and tighten the nuts down. That being said, if the bed/body is not aligned or the holes were drilled off by the factory, then it will be off when installing the lights. Body shop should be able to adjust those for you especially if they worked on it. :like:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Usually the holes in the bed/body panels are just a hint larger than the screw/peg that goes into those holes. So there is usually a bit of play (1/16"-1/8"). It really is just a matter of loosening the nuts a bit and shift the lights to the desired position and tighten the nuts down. That being said, if the bed/body is not aligned or the holes were drilled off by the factory, then it will be off when installing the lights. Body shop should be able to adjust those for you especially if they worked on it. :like:
Hi Alex,

Just for clarification, most factory holes are punched....not drilled...

Best,
Phil

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Hi Alex,

Just for clarification, most factory holes are punched....not drilled...

Best,
Phil
I know, but I have found that when mentioning "punched holes" to the average person, they look at you funny and need clarification, so I just always have stated "drilled". But yes, punched out they are ;)

OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
Thanks all. I will try to adjust them once they fix the rock chips in the tailgate.

OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
Update. I did loosen the 2 screws to adjust the light and the machined holes are big with lots of play. But I could not move the light up. I mean maybe I got it a hair higher. But the worst is once I could wiggle the light I noticed it has worn off the paint the bumper in the area. So I guess you should check yours. I imagine I will have to tell dealer & they will fix the paint.
BC594C9B-596F-4999-ABA0-6B28F3EABB87.jpeg

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
Update. I did loosen the 2 screws to adjust the light and the machined holes are big with lots of play. But I could not move the light up. I mean maybe I got it a hair higher. But the worst is once I could wiggle the light I noticed it has worn off the paint the bumper in the area. So I guess you should check yours. I imagine I will have to tell dealer & they will fix the paint.
BC594C9B-596F-4999-ABA0-6B28F3EABB87.jpeg
Or be like me and say it's a Ford truck. Meh. I am not worried about the little things. So it's easy for me to give it a oh well and drive on.

OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
Or be like me and say it's a Ford truck. Meh. I am not worried about the little things. So it's easy for me to give it a oh well and drive on.
Unfortunately I live in an area that heavily salts the roads and that is a steel area that’s chipped. So I have to get it taken care of.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately I live in an area that heavily salts the roads and that is a steel area that’s chipped. So I have to get it taken care of.
Makes sense. In HTX we don't worry about that but my beach trips could take a toll due to the salt air and salt water I tend to get on the truck from time to time.

OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
Dropped the truck off to have both tail lights re aligned and fix chipped paint from each light rubbing. Passenger taillight rubbing paint at bottom, driver taillight rubbing paint off at top. They said paint shop is down road from dealer & paint shop will be reinstalling lights. We will see how it goes. Some others on Facebook had same issue. May want to check out your tail lights.

OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
Well I got a call from the dealership saying that their body shop says there is no room to adjust the lights. So if they fix the paint the same thing will happen. They are sending everything to corporate recommending an entire bed replacement. On a brand new truck. Not what I want to hear. Plus I had it line X’d and lots of bed ad ons. Not sure what will happen or how this will all work but not a very happy ford customer right now.
Also they said they had 2 other rangers on the lot and they went outside to look and they have the same issue??

Last edited:
OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
Hopefully corporate comes up with another idea besides total bed replacement.

OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
I guess I can give them some points for not just fixing the paint and putting the lights right back in but there has to be options. I would rather fix the paint and shave down the plastic a little in the area the touches or maybe a tiny bit of body work. Plus both rangers on their lot have same issue when they looked. Are they going to replace both those beds too or just sell the trucks and not say anything. Will be interesting to see what corporate says. Hard to see them approving a total bed replacement. And it will be a year before it even comes in I’d imagine.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I guess I can give them some points for not just fixing the paint and putting the lights right back in but there has to be options. I would rather fix the paint and shave down the plastic a little in the area the touches or maybe a tiny bit of body work. Plus both rangers on their lot have same issue when they looked. Are they going to replace both those beds too or just sell the trucks and not say anything. Will be interesting to see what corporate says. Hard to see them approving a total bed replacement. And it will be a year before it even comes in I’d imagine.
My pass-side taillight sat lower from the factory, in my attempts to fix I had bend the upper fastener mount tab upward and use quite a bit of upward pressure whilst I tightened the fasteners.
Sponsored