Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Think you’re pretty close. I’m going to factor in depreciation over 5 to 10 years as well. I’d say the ranger will drop by by about 35% based on the Colorado LT Z71. Im betting the JT does a lot better.
Yeah but in 5-10 years the Ranger will still be going strong while the Gladiator will have about 35% of its welds separating..
Sponsored

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
That Jeep truck looks remarkably expensive.

Not sure why the Ranger is a “virtual no-show.”

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Per TFLTruck only one Jeep variation has the 7650 towing spec. “For a little more context on towing, the top-tow configuration is a Gladiator Sport with an eight-speed automatic. The Gladiator Overland with a manual can pull 4,000 pounds while the automatic Overland is good for 6,000 pounds. As for the Rubicon, manual models can tow 4,500 pounds while automatic Rubi’s are good for 7000 pounds.”

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Per TFLTruck only one Jeep variation has the 7650 towing spec. “For a little more context on towing, the top-tow configuration is a Gladiator Sport with an eight-speed automatic. The Gladiator Overland with a manual can pull 4,000 pounds while the automatic Overland is good for 6,000 pounds. As for the Rubicon, manual models can tow 4,500 pounds while automatic Rubi’s are good for 7000 pounds.”
Other major cons:
  • A worse wheelbase (137.3" vs 126.8") than the Ranger
  • Maximum payload of 1,600 lb only available with V6 gas engine & 6-speed manual transmission
  • 7,650 lb towing rating only available on Sport trim with V6 gas engine & 8-speed auto transmission, every other trim has less than Ranger's 7,500 lb towing rating
  • 3.6-liter V6 gas engine only makes 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, compared to 270 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque in the Ranger
  • 4,650 pounds for a Gladiator Sport manual, compared to 4,441 pounds for 4x4 SuperCrew Ranger
  • 5,072 pounds for the Gladiator Rubicon automatic, compared to 4,441 pounds for 4x4 SuperCrew Ranger

Last edited:

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
Yeah but in 5-10 years the Ranger will still be going strong while the Gladiator will have about 35% of its welds separating..
Did a quick check on KBB.com for 2008 Ranger FX4 crew 4x4 and 2008 Sahara 4 Door 4x4 and found the Sahara held 52% of it's value vrs the Ranger 39%. Ford has had it's share of recalls and ecoboost failures.. All manufactures do.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
Other major cons:
  • A worse wheelbase (137.3" vs 126.8") than the Ranger
  • Maximum payload of 1,600 lb only available with V6 gas engine & 6-speed manual transmission
  • 7,650 lb towing rating only available on Sport trim with V6 gas engine & 8-speed auto transmission, every other trim has less than Ranger's 7,500 lb towing rating
  • 3.6-liter V6 gas engine only makes 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, compared to 270 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque in the Ranger
  • 4,650 pounds for a Gladiator Sport manual, compared to 4,441 pounds for 4x4 SuperCrew Ranger
  • 5,072 pounds for the Gladiator Rubicon automatic, compared to 4,441 pounds for 4x4 SuperCrew Ranger
Ranger hasn't released the payload and tow specs across all trims that I am aware of. I just checking the ford towing guide and the website states the numbers will be released in December. Granted, I could have missed it, but I'd caution you taking the max values across all trims.
Some of the Gladiator pros are
137" wheelbase, which to me will result in a better ride added with the coil suspension
Standard V-6, and optional diesel, Standard 4x4
Standard front and rear E-lockers, Dana 44 HD axles
Class leading 38.3 inches rear leg room, rear seat that folds down for a usable platform and that also folds up for a flat floor,
Lockable and insulated underseat storage box with handles to remove
The ability to go topless is a nice perk every now and then

Ford lost me with the half hearted effort of a backseat, that is IMO unsuitable for adults on anything over a two hour drive. Otherwise the Ranger is a very nice truck. For those that could care less about the backseat it's a great option.

Last edited:

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Ford HAS published the towing specs across all configurations in the owner's manual that is available online.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Lrtexasman, that is a different listing from the owner's manual that I downloaded, but it lists the same data. In the owner's manual, it can be found on pages 210-211.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Did a quick check on KBB.com for 2008 Ranger FX4 crew 4x4 and 2008 Sahara 4 Door 4x4 and found the Sahara held 52% of it's value vrs the Ranger 39%. Ford has had it's share of recalls and ecoboost failures.. All manufactures do.
This was a joke based on the massive JL recall over failed welds that came apart on the new Wranglers.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
This was a joke based on the massive JL recall over failed welds that came apart on the new Wranglers.
Yep, I knew what you meant. In all fairness to you, the weld criticism is warranted and you could have also mentioned the death wobble for good measure. Shouldn’t happen on any vehicle. I was even more surprised Subaru had similar issues with the Ascent. Seems like the robots aren’t smart enough to figure out when the product runs out, whether it’s welding solder (Jeep, Subaru,VW) or RTX sealant (tundra valve covers and 2.7 eco pans ). But of course would much rather deal with a new pan or valve cover than a faulty vehicle weld.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Roadshow.com: 2020 Jeep Gladiator vs. pickup trucks from Chevy, Ford, Nissan and Toyota

After years of wondering just how true the rumors were, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator is finally here. Not only does it give the Wrangler lineup a new dimension to explore, it gives parent company Fiat Chrysler its first midsize pickup in years. Let's see how it compares to the current slate of tinier trucks -- Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma.

It's worth pointing out that some sacrifices had to be made in the name of not drowning you in spreadsheets. A majority of the figures compiled below represent trucks in crew cab configuration, since that's the only style available for the Gladiator. Since four-wheel drive is also standard on the Gladiator, most comparisons are made with 4x4 specs in mind. All the relevant specifications were taken directly from the automaker's website.

Approach, departure, breakover
For this one, we've broken off the hardcore variants of each model to show just how much more capable they are versus the more mall-crawler-friendly variants. The Gladiator is far and away the champion of this category, boasting an impressive 40.8-degree approach angle (43.4 on the Rubicon).

The Gladiator is also the king of ride height by a country mile, varying between 10 and 11.1 inches depending on spec. The Colorado is closest to the ground at 8.3 inches, and it's also pretty weak on the angles, but opting for the gnarly ZR2 variant fixes that right up.

Roadshow.com 2020 Jeep Gladiator vs. pickup trucks from Chevy, Ford, Nissan and Toyota.png

Towing and payload
For this one, we kept the towing and payload figures to gas-engine variants with four-wheel drive, to best match the sole figures from Ford and Jeep. Otherwise, the Colorado with its diesel engine would trounce everything on the list.

With the playing field evened, engine-wise, the Gladiator is top of the pops in towing at 7,650 pounds. The Ranger is only 150 pounds down, but it makes up for that gulf by being king of payload at 1,650 pounds. The Gladiator's bed can haul just 50 fewer pounds. The Frontier and Tacoma lag the competition in both figures by a decent margin.

Roadshow.com 2020 Jeep Gladiator vs. pickup trucks from Chevy, Ford, Nissan and Toyota2.png

Interior volume
Chevrolet, for some reason, doesn't offer a single overarching interior volume figure, so that's why the N/A is on this table -- it's not like the interior exists outside traditional Euclidean space. Despite being the widest truck, the Ranger has the smallest crew cab interior volume of the measured group at 97.6 cubic feet. If you guessed that the Gladiator would be the roomiest, congratulations.

Roadshow.com 2020 Jeep Gladiator vs. pickup trucks from Chevy, Ford, Nissan and Toyota3.png

Size
For this one, I had to narrow the trucks down by selecting 4x4 crew cabs with the longest bed offered. With that rule in place, the Gladiator sits firmly in the middle of all measurements, except for height, where it's actually the tallest. The Ranger is nearly 10 inches wider than any other truck at 85.8 inches, yet it also packs the shortest wheelbase and overall length, in part because it doesn't have a long bed option.

Otherwise, the Colorado and Tacoma are the absolute units of the group.

Roadshow.com 2020 Jeep Gladiator vs. pickup trucks from Chevy, Ford, Nissan and Toyota4.png

OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I have been working on adding quite a bit of info to the comparison.

Updated - All info is now based on Crew Cab short bed variants to enable to best comparison across the board.
New - Approach/Breakover/Departure angles have been added as well as Ground Clearance and Crawl Ratio.

*** Fields in yellow are either unknown or best guesstimates based on information I could find. If you have any of this info please post it here along with a link so I can verify the origin.
11-29 Update.jpg

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase