Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger overall dimensions make it look like a tiny midsize truck compared to the rest. About 15" shorter in length and wheel base? oh my
Sponsored

ajvester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
The Ranger overall dimensions make it look like a tiny midsize truck compared to the rest. About 15" shorter in length and wheel base? oh my
The chart shows the wheelbase and length for a Crew Cab long bed. The CCSB variants of the Colorado and Tacoma are within inches of the Ranger.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
Some may object, but I think the Ridgeline should be included as well. It is a mid-size truck, although a soft mid-size. Below are the measurables.
Length 210"
Width 78.6"
Height 70.8"
WB 125.2"
Bed Length 64"
Bed Width Min/Max 50"/60" yes a full sheet of plywood can lay flat
Engine 3.5 V-6
HP 280
Torque 262
Transmission Gears 6
Fuel Tank 19 Gallon
Fuel Econ City/Highway/Combine 18/25/21
Range C/Hwy/Com 342/475/399
Curb Weight 4445 lbs
Payload 1586 lbs
Max Tow 5000 lbs
GVWR 6019 lbs
MSRP L $29,730
MSRP H $43,220

Last edited:

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
It's not like an Odyssey with a bed from an engineering standpoint. The RL has numerous engineering differences, which include front and rear suspension/frame/transmission/brake rotors and removeable rear bed/body panels.
With that said, purpose wise, what do the BOF trucks do better, other than off-road modifications (lifts) and towing ? It has significantly better payload than the Tacoma and a wider bed and longer than most standard beds than all of the other BOF trucks (increased cargo volume). It may be the only one that you can actually fit plywood in the bottom of the bed. I haven't seen the interior dimensions of the Ranger bed yet.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
It has significantly better payload than the Tacoma and a wider bed and longer than most standard beds than all of the other BOF trucks (increased cargo volume).
So does the Ford Transit van. But it's still not a truck.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to test drive a Ranger at the local drive event today. First impressions were that the seats were much more comfortable than my Tacoma's. I never liked the bench style seats of the Taco. But the rangers were much softer and more supportive that will make long distance driving more comfortable. Size wise it felt just as easy to drive and park like my tacoma with a bit more headroom. The drive line felt a lot more smooth and quieter. The center console looked a bit cluttered and difficult to find the button your looking for. It definitely felt more car like to drive with a low front sweeping hood; which I wasn't a fan of. I wanted to feel like I'm driving a truck not a SUV. Overall I enjoyed it and I think it will be a good replacement for my Tacoma.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
Just Like Desert_5G stated, the Tacoma driver's seat (for me at 5'10") was way too low to the floorboard, and I could never get comfortable (really) in the short test drive from last summer...

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to test drive a Ranger at the local drive event today. First impressions were that the seats were much more comfortable than my Tacoma's. I never liked the bench style seats of the Taco. But the rangers were much softer and more supportive that will make long distance driving more comfortable. Size wise it felt just as easy to drive and park like my tacoma with a bit more headroom. The drive line felt a lot more smooth and quieter. The center console looked a bit cluttered and difficult to find the button your looking for. It definitely felt more car like to drive with a low front sweeping hood; which I wasn't a fan of. I wanted to feel like I'm driving a truck not a SUV. Overall I enjoyed it and I think it will be a good replacement for my Tacoma.
I understand your sentiment about the sloping hood line, but that you’ll love that forward visibility if you are getting the FX4 package and will be using trail control for rocky climbs (I know I will to a couple fishing and camping spots here in CO). And from a driving around town perspective, that forward visibility will be better for getting in/out of parking spots, etc. I have a forward camera and the Ford 360 sensors on my wife’s Edge Sport but I rarely use those for reference when in forward motion, I would have to drive much slower to utilize them an the visibility is plenty good over the hood.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
As a counterpoint, drive the new 2019 Silverado. The hood is so long and high and it's always in your field of view. That's the most awkward truck I've driven.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
Both the Ford Rangers and the Jeep Gladiators will sell like crazy (says this person who will never buy a GM product...)

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
I'm guessing here, but I think a 4x4 XLT SuperCrew (Group 301A + Trailer Tow + Locking Rear) will be over $6,000 cheaper than the Jeep Gladiator Sport S Trim (automatic with hard top)

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I'm guessing here, but I think a 4x4 XLT SuperCrew (Group 301A + Trailer Tow + Locking Rear) will be over $6,000 cheaper than the Jeep Gladiator Sport S Trim (automatic with hard top)
Think you’re pretty close. I’m going to factor in depreciation over 5 to 10 years as well. I’d say the ranger will drop by by about 35% based on the Colorado LT Z71. Im betting the JT does a lot better.
Sponsored