Mesh networking, need some advice

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation ✈
I've had good service with my Asus system, except for a firmware glitch 2 weeks ago, it's been capable of handling my approximately 62 smart devices (and counting) to date.

My security system consists of Reolink Poe and both Wyze and Blink Wi-Fi cams, I dislike the Blinks because of the limited amount of time of being able to monitor live footage, whereas the Wyze cams is unlimited because it uses my LAN instead of WAN.

Turns out Asus had released a firmware update which caused all sorts of problems, I find it incredible that they would release such a program without it being thoroughly tested first.

I was ready to can the system until I stumbled upon an online networking forum in which many others were experiencing the exact same issues I was. The resolution was to rollback the firmware to the previous version and to de-select the automatic firmware option.

I can't help but thinking that this may be an underhanded ploy on Asus's part to sell more products...
69 devices all working hard on the Sweet Okole Wi-Fi here ?
D40A58F0-038B-4A0C-BBF6-2C5175E6792F.png
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Turns out Asus had released a firmware update which caused all sorts of problems, I find it incredible that they would release such a program without it being thoroughly tested first.
My take is that you should expect more of the same. Software is getting pushed out faster and faster with less and less attention paid to QA, IMO. The mentality is "we will fix it later".

Part of the problem is that as things become more complex and interconnected, it makes testing much more difficult, but much more important. These days it seems shoveling the latest, greatest thing out takes priority over just about everything else.

I need to retire - I sound like a grumpy old man.... :)

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
My take is that you should expect more of the same. Software is getting pushed out faster and faster with less and less attention paid to QA, IMO. The mentality is "we will fix it later".

Part of the problem is that as things become more complex and interconnected, it makes testing much more difficult, but much more important. These days it seems shoveling the latest, greatest thing out takes priority over just about everything else.

I need to retire - I sound like a grumpy old man.... :)
LOL, the world is filled with grumpy old men, I've been retired for almost 5 years now, so I've all the time in the world to complain.
Seriously though, your reasoning is spot on and what members of the networking forum I joined stated to the "T".
As my system is 2 years old, perhaps older, it's considered downright archaic in the electronics world, I suspect product support from Asus will end shortly for it.
Stumbling upon that forum saved me hundreds, I was millimeters away from buying a new mesh system.
Sponsored