First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Any of you make your own homemade pickles ?
Got tired of the commercial stuff as I like good garlicky dill pickles that are "crunchy" and make your mouth "pucker" !
Anyone else out there in Ranger Land ?
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Any of you make your own homemade pickles ?
Got tired of the commercial stuff as I like good garlicky dill pickles that are "crunchy" and make your mouth "pucker" !
Anyone else out there in Ranger Land ?
I’ve made them once. My parents always made them every year. I need to get back to it. My favorites are bread & butter pickles. :)

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
I just buy Felix pickles. Recipe originated from Sauvo at 1969 under brand Marco California. This was bough by Felix on 1986, then merged to Felix Abba on 1991 and finally bought by Orkla Foods. Finnish production is long gone and now the Finnish pickles are made in Czech Republic.

Maybe it would be a good time to start pickling.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I’ve made them once. My parents always made them every year. I need to get back to it. My favorites are bread & butter pickles. :)
Me too! I make "Chef John's Bread & Butter Pickles" - a recipe from All Recipes.
?

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Here's mine...
50 oz glass air tight containers...the kind with the snap down type glass lid, but any large jar would do. Type I use pic'd below.
I use dill seed, coriander, caraway seed, mustard seed...get them all on Amazon in bulk packages.
Minced Garlic...I use a lot so I use the Costco/Kirkland brand, comes in 48 oz containers for just a few bucks.
Sugar
Salt...
White distilled vinegar...
Water...
And, pickling cukes. 4-5 cukes for one jar.

Boil 2 cups vinegar and 2 cups of water together. When boiling add 2/3 cup of sugar and tablespoon of salt. Let it dissolve, remove from heat, and let it cool till barely warm.
In jar I use
2-3 heaping tablespoons of dill seed
1 tablespoon caraway seed
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1/2 cup of minced garlic....I like mine "garlickey" so I use a lot.
Wash the cukes and cut the very tip of the stem end off, and quarter the cukes.
Stuff the cukes in the jar, and pour the cooled vinegar/water/sugar/salt over the cukes .
Seal the jar and give it a good shake to mix the solution, and once or twice a day, give em another shake.
Put in fridge for 2-3 days and enjoy. I found letting them sit for 5-7 days makes em perfect.
These will come out sour and very garlickey, like a good kosher pickle or brine pickle like you used to find in the big barrels in mom n pop stores, but you can always adjust the vinegar/garlic/dill to suit your taste.

61rLefGlGXL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: