First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
You could say it's part of me, as I was picking brass out of my face in jeep mirror. Finished the match with a backup 1911 and some else's ammo
Sponsored

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
It's a pre series II kimber that after about 13,0000 plus or minus 500 I had my first double charge slide was toast frame was good and the steel lined pachmayr grips saved my hand. Been about 10 years since I've reloaded but I think that pistol has some 24,000 rounds down range. The guts are all EGW or Wilson. As the min parts went TU I replaced em
BTW, what powder were you loading when you doubled it?

There was a guy I shot with a few times (and was a very experienced hand) that swore up and down that a double of even something like Bullseye, wouldn't break an all steel gun. His contention was that with 45 Auto's, what always broke the gun was a lack of neck tension causing bullet setback in feed (could be a thin case like some of those Israeli head stamps can be, or a split case mouth. etc.). I forget what expert told him that, but he said a bullet setting all the way back on a super fast powder resulted in more pressure than a double charge.

I never found that in print after he told me, but it did sound plausible. I always inspected and sorted my brass by head stamp (brass thickness) as I didn't want to use the thicker brass head stamps with my lead loads (I saved the thicker ones for jacketed loads). I found I got almost zero lead left in the barrel when I matched brass thickness to bullet diameters.

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
700x on a Dillion 650. Did not have a powder check die at that time. I ordered one that night. I must of short stroked the handle but just enough to reset the powder hopper.

Over the years I've loaded a metric ton of long 40 and 9mm major as well as 45. The powder check die has prevented my 2nd double charge

Last re lol passing I was using titegroup for 40 and 45. 9mm major I can't recall it was a Winchester powder.

Last edited:

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
700x on a Dillion 650. Did not have a powder check die at that time. I ordered one that night. I must of short stroked the handle but just enough to rest the powder hopper.

Over the years I've loaded a metric ton of long 40 and 9mm major as well as 45. The powder check die has prevented my 2nd double charge

Last re lol passing I was using titegroup for 40 and 45. 9mm major I can't recall it was a Winchester powder.
Doubling on a Dillon 650 would be an extraordinary event.

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
unique powder was like that if you double charged on the the powder would spill out of the brass. While titegroup you could probably fit 3 charges in a 45 case. You would loose more than the slide if you didn't catch that one

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
unique powder was like that if you double charged on the the powder would spill out of the brass. While titegroup you could probably fit 3 charges in a 45 case. You would loose more than the slide if you didn't catch that one
Yeah, I wasn’t referring to the powder density, but it sounds like for whatever reason that powder cop worked for you.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
You guys with your guns, lol!
I feel visiting your country I'm at a disadvantage, having a Canadian licence
plate would put a big red X on me.
"Hey look, a Canadian, he has no gun, free shit man!"
Then again, he would not know the difference between a state plate
& a Canadian plate. Guess I'm good after all. :LOL:

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
You guys with your guns, lol!
I feel visiting your country I'm at a disadvantage, having a Canadian licence
plate would put a big red X on me.
"Hey look, a Canadian, he has no gun, free shit man!"
Then again, he would not know the difference between a state plate
& a Canadian plate. Guess I'm good after all. :LOL:
No problems, just come to San Francisco, nobody has guns but the police and the bad guys.

But, they are still going to say, “hey look, a Canadian, free shit man!”. ;)

But hey , if they only steal $899, it really isn’t really treated as a crime so, no harm no foul, eh? :crackup:

May have crossed a line here, not sure... :lipssealed:

Last edited:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
No problems, just come to San Francisco, nobody has guns but the police and the bad guys.

But, they are still going to say, “hey look, a Canadian, free shit man!”. ;)

But hey , if they only steal $899, it really isn’t really treated as a crime so, no harm no foul, eh? :crackup:

May have crossed a line here, not sure... :lipssealed:
Maybe, but we can stop here ?

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
Internal volume, does play a lot in pressure. Reducing internal volume but keeping the charge the same will increase pressure.

When I reloaded 9mm major there was only 2 powders on market that I knew of that you could get safe pressure while making 173 power factor (major with a cushion) you had to load long between 38 super length and 9mm for safe pressure.

Never had set back with any of my reloads I always used a lee factory crimp die on pistol reloads and chamber checked all my match ammo using the barrel ones that did not drop free went into the practice bucket.

Had my fair share of split casings. After awhile you learn to hear a split casings they ring on ejection from the gun.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Internal volume, does play a lot in pressure. Reducing internal volume but keeping the charge the same will increase pressure.

When I reloaded 9mm major there was only 2 powders on market that I knew of that you could get safe pressure while making 173 power factor (major with a cushion) you had to load long between 38 super length and 9mm for safe pressure.

Never had set back with any of my reloads I always used a lee factory crimp die on pistol reloads and chamber checked all my match ammo using the barrel ones that did not drop free went into the practice bucket.

Had my fair share of split casings. After awhile you learn to hear a split casings they ring on ejection from the gun.
Glad you didn't have any setback issues.

I disagree on the LFCD helping in any way (the pistol cartridge version, the rifle cartridge one which was a completely different design and was patented by him was a great die). I believe the taper crimp version of the LFCD was the biggest piece of snake oil the guy ever sold.

All the neck tension you will ever have is done after the bullet is seated, before any other operations. So-called "taper crimps" were created to take the flare out of the cartridge, nothing more. Any pressure you add to the neck after removing the flare only serves to remove neck tension (Brass has more spring to it than the bullet underneath.)

PS - the few times I loaded Major 9 I never worried about setback as the bullet was already sitting on top of the powder.. ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: