Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I've been meaning to post this for a while, so here goes. Story time, buckle up! (I'll put a little tl;dr at the end)

3 weeks ago I made a trip from LA up to San Luis Obispo to meet with a friend and do some long-overdue offroading now that GLaDOS is part of the family. We were going to spend the day on Saturday hitting local trails and generally just enjoying the day. It had rained leading up to it and was supposed to rain on and off during the day, but generally, being from Michigan we were unconcerned with some rain and headed out for the day. As a bit of setup, I should note that this buddy has a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, lifted, mud tires, winch, very off-road ready and capable.

We'd found some pretty good trails, nothing too treacherous, handled mostly in 2wd without any real issues. On the last trail we were on, the rain had picked up pretty good for a while, but the trail was still easily passable, a few slicker spots, but nothing bad. Then it unexpected turned from a highway-vehicle trail to a dirt-bike only trail without warning, at a spot that was a slick corner with no place to turn around. Our thought was to make this slippery corner and turn around just down the hill and head back out and hit some other trails.

Well, in trying to turn around, the stock tires on GLaDOS were, uhh, a little less than up for the task. I started to slide to the point that continuing under my own power would lead to sliding off the road into the culvert and potentially rolling over. Buddy and I got out to survey the situation and determine what we could do to get my truck anchored and get going the proper way. Currently I was blocking the trail, going the other way had way to get through (back to the point of the trail transitioning to a smaller trail), so we had to come up with something with his Jeep in front of mine and the back of the Ranger needing the anchoring/help.

IMG_20191207_133753.jpg

We got out to survey the situation and see what we could do, trying to find winching points or anchoring points. This is when the worst struck. I slipped in the mud, going down, and in the process completely shattering my ankle. Broke all three bones that hold the ankle in place (Trimalleolar fracture if you want to look up images), which immediately rendered me useless. I knew my ankle was completely screwed, couldn't put any weight on it, I couldn't move it, and it's my right ankle which means I couldn't drive either. I think my only saving grace was the hiking boots I had that prevented the ankle from completely dislocating or breaking the skin. We were in a location that had no cell phone service, and as I said before, no way to get back out of the trail. So now getting out of this situation was left up to the two of us, but at this point, just my buddy, since I couldn't do anything.

At the end of the day, he was able to find a wood post that was wedged into the culvert under the trail to run a snatchblock from, and run his winch line from his Jeep to under GLaDOS and back to the rear of the truck to get things going again. And the fun pics of the rigging:

IMG_20191207_133744.jpg

IMG_20191207_133801.jpg

IMG_20191207_133807.jpg

IMG_20191207_133810.jpg

IMG_20191207_133827.jpg

IMG_20191207_133829.jpg

And the middle-lower-left of that last photo, you can see the slide marks where I fell and this whole thing went south. With this setup, we were able to get GLaDOS back aligned correctly to get turned around. My buddy managed to get his Jeep turned around as well as the Ranger and hopped back and forth between them to get them out of the worst of the trail until we got to a more stable part of the trail where I could get my mangled foot out of the way enough to drive out with my left foot. It took about 2.5 hours from original break until we hit the ER. After a 50 minute drive from the trailhead through the backroads to get into San Luis Obispo to the hospital.

I had repair surgery on the 10th, so I'm only about 2.5 weeks into the 6-8+ week recovery and haven't been able to drive since. I'm aching to get back behind the wheel and back offroad. I'm lucky that in almost 33 years of all of my shenanigans and debauchery and being a monkey, offroading, biking, etc, this was the first time I've really ever injured anything.

TL;DR - Went offroading with a buddy, got stuck in some slick mud due to rain, fell and shattered my ankle trying to assess the situation, able to get my truck unstuck with a genius winch setup.

I'll post more pictures of the ankle in later posts. I have my second post-op follow-up on Tuesday.
Sponsored

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
DOOD! Heal soon and major props to your buddy for saving the day and the pictures are great despite the situation. It will be an awesome story for you guys once you’re healed up.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Fascinating story and pictures. I feel your pain - broke my ankle in December of 1017.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Holy hell! I literally gasped out loud when the story took a turn for the worse. This really beats the point to always have a trail buddy. Good thing your friend was able to get you unstuck and out of there! Hope you are on the mend and back hitting the trails soon!

OP
OP
Gizmokid2005

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
DOOD! Heal soon and major props to your buddy for saving the day and the pictures are great despite the situation. It will be an awesome story for you guys once you’re healed up.
Thanks! It's already a pretty great story, would be better if I didn't become useless, but it'll be a good story for many many years to come.
Fascinating story and pictures. I feel your pain - broke my ankle in December of 1017.
Man, you're an old one!! haha, totally kidding. I'm definitely over the healing already...
Holy hell! I literally gasped out loud when the story took a turn for the worse. This really beats the point to always have a trail buddy. Good thing your friend was able to get you unstuck and out of there! Hope you are on the mend and back hitting the trails soon!
Haha, I'm glad my storytelling was good on this one! I never go on trails alone, not new trails, or at least not where I don't have reliable cell phone service and friends close by. I'm hoping to get back in the seat sooner than later!

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Same tires on my Sport 4x4. Not up to the task as expected. They will definitely be gone before I attempt anything like this. Thanks for sharing, and hope for a quick recovery. And, what they ^^ said.

OP
OP
Gizmokid2005

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Same tires on my Sport 4x4. Not up to the task as expected. They will definitely be gone before I attempt anything like this. Thanks for sharing, and hope for a quick recovery. And, what they ^^ said.
I've definitely not been terribly impressed with their off-road capabilities, but as I don't do it very often, they're good enough thus far.
i woulda pushed you into the ditch. set fire to the jeep and stole your ranger.
Well then, I'm glad you weren't around! :LOL:

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
That, is why you don't go alone!

Good tires might have prevented that stuck.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Wow, glad you made it out (mostly) safely. Heal quickly.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Sorry about your ankle & hope you heal quickly.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
You call you truck GLaDOS? Hahah. Well I hope there was cake at the end.
400px-GLaDOS_P2.png

Get well soon.

OP
OP
Gizmokid2005

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
That, is why you don't go alone!

Good tires might have prevented that stuck.
Exactly! I can't recall a time I've ever actually gone offroad without a friend along, and almost always with another vehicle. I wasn't entirely sure how these tires would do, but since this isn't going to be a terribly common occurrence to wind up in any mud, these do well enough for now.
Wow, glad you made it out (mostly) safely. Heal quickly.
Thanks! It was harrowing for sure, but we're getting there, slowly.
Sorry about your ankle & hope you heal quickly.
Thank you! I'm starting to get a bit antsy to get back behind the wheel!
You call you truck GLaDOS? Hahah. Well I hope there was cake at the end.
400px-GLaDOS_P2.png

Get well soon.
Haha, yesss! Exactly! My mustang was named Atlas (multiple trips around/across the states gave it the name), and GLaDOS just seemed to fit the Ranger for me. So far, there hasn't been any cake, but there will be when I'm getting back to normal! Thank you!

Pat Garrett

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
RSO Range Safety Officer
I've definitely not been terribly impressed with their off-road capabilities, but as I don't do it very often, they're good enough thus far.

Well then, I'm glad you weren't around! :LOL:
If you were having issues, you got the wrong package with your ranger... I’ve had mine in crap up to the frame rails and it climbed out... did you fail to get the electric locker, or the full Fx package

View attachment 28126

OP
OP
Gizmokid2005

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
If you were having issues, you got the wrong package with your ranger... I’ve had mine in crap up to the frame rails and it climbed out... did you fail to get the electric locker, or the full Fx package
I didn't buy the Ranger with the exclusive purpose of being an off-road or trail machine. I also wasn't willing to put in the premium pricing to get one that had the higher trim levels when I could've purchased a 2019 F-150 Lariat with all the bells and whistles for the same price thanks to end-of-year pricing ($18k off of sticker). And around here, finding a 4x4 Supercab in Lightning blue was next to impossible. I could've gotten out of this predicament without issues if it wasn't for the 15 foot culvert that I had the potential of sliding into due to the composition of the ground. I just didn't hit this corner high enough, I didn't expect the lack of grip that I ran into.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Haha, yesss! Exactly! My mustang was named Atlas (multiple trips around/across the states gave it the name), and GLaDOS just seemed to fit the Ranger for me. So far, there hasn't been any cake, but there will be when I'm getting back to normal! Thank you!
Every time Sync doesn't do what I want it to when I'm talking to it, I think of GlaDOS. How awesome would it be to get a voice upgrade to make it sound like that, hahah.

Sponsored