First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I got a Truxxx 1.5" leveling kit, Had a Truxxx on my old Sport Trac and liked it, quality product.
Checked with a shop near my work and got quoted a ballpark of $400-$450 for three hours install and alignment ($100). JohnnyO decides to install it himself and save $300.
Instructions from both Truxxx and TheRangerStation.com say to unplug three plugs from the electric power steering. Well, that wasn't going to happen. I slid the red clips back but plugs no come out.
My worst fear is breaking something and then it costs me 10x more to fix it than what I thought I'd save by doing it myself. This has happened before. :LOL:
On the other hand, the Stage 3 videos on YouTube do not mention unplugging the power steering.
So....
Does anybody know if it's absolutely necessary to unplug the power steering to install the level?
Truxxx instructions say to disconnect the battery anyway.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I did not unplug the power steering, but it might be a good idea to unhook the battery. Couldn't hurt .

OP
OP
JohnnyO

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I did not unplug the power steering, but it might be a good idea to unhook the battery. Couldn't hurt .
Thanks.
The Truxxx instructions tell you to do both. Disconnect the battery to reset things, although I'm not sure why you'd have to do that.

9512tacoma

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Manager
That install cost is a bit high. I paid $350 + $100 alignment for a shop to install my 2.5 rough country leveling kit.

OP
OP
JohnnyO

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
That install cost is a bit high. I paid $350 + $100 alignment for a shop to install my 2.5 rough country leveling kit.
That's basically the same as I was quoted. They estimated 1.5 hours each side plus $100 for alignment.

OP
OP
JohnnyO

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I've never heard of disconnecting the power steering.

Do make sure that you remove the axle nuts and push the CVs out of the hubs.
Yeah, I was going to try to avoid that and use a tie down or bungee cord on the knuckle to keep it from pulling out.
I'm leaning toward just saving up some money and paying a shop to do it. It doesn't look real hard but this is just stuff I've never done before.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, I was going to try to avoid that and use a tie down or bungee cord on the knuckle to keep it from pulling out.
I'm leaning toward just saving up some money and paying a shop to do it. It doesn't look real hard but this is just stuff I've never done before.
If you don't feel confident doing it, don't do it.

R_B

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired
That's basically the same as I was quoted. They estimated 1.5 hours each side plus $100 for alignment.
JohnnyO, I agree with the last post. If you are not confident in installing it, pay for help.
Buuuuutttt, have you seen these instructions? It shows how to remove the coilovers quickly. HeHe!
https://www.belltech.com/products/b...t-adjustable-lowering-coilover-kit-15004.html

At the bottom of the webpage I listed above, the install document is: https://www.belltech.com/extras/docs/BBGC/15004-888.pdf

Measure vehicle height. Loosen lug nuts. Jack up and place on jack stands. Take off tires.
OEM STRUT REMOVAL
9. Using a marking pen, mark the alignment cams to reference placement later.
10. Working on one side at a time, loosen and remove the crossmember bolts that connect the lower control arm and frame.
11. Loosen and remove the nuts securing the lower strut mount to the control arm.
12. Push the spindle and lower control arm down and back until the lower shock studs are clear of the control arm.
13. Remove the three nuts securing the top of the strut to the chassis.
They forgot to say, then pull them out!

Below is a great video from @j0shm1lls showing his install of a BDS 3.5" spacer lift kit on Youtube.
He also finished it off with the BDS upper control arms, shackles, spacers, tires & wheels.

Your kit may be different. Looks like he ground off the studs little bit to make them fit.
I'm not sure if your install would require that but do not believe so.

I believe you would need a spring compressor. Not sure where he got the one he used but it looks heavy duty! (Can't find the install document for your Truxxx 1.5" leveling kit.)
Autozone rents one out for a deposit, return within 90 days. Check to make sure one is available.
Someone else on the Forum has used one like this: https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...macpherson-strut-spring-compressor/555557_0_0

Fords document does mention adjusting the headlights and cruise control-radar afterwards.
Page 20 through 27. Torque Specs on page 28. You might not need to with the smaller lift.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-18000-R.PDF

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. Thanks, Robert

OP
OP
JohnnyO

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
If you don't feel confident doing it, don't do it.
I'm kinda mechanically inclined and have a decent set of tools but I'm the sort who knows just enough to be dangerous. :LOL: I've done things like sway bar end links and put a new driveshaft in my old Sport Trac but like I said, I never got this deep into a front suspension. Was going to try again today and a bud of mine from another Ranger group who knows more than I do was going to come over but now it looks like it's going to rain all day. The shop I talked to is scheduling about two weeks out so even if I managed to do it I'd have to drive it out of alignment for two weeks.

[video]

OP
OP
JohnnyO

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I believe you would need a spring compressor. Not sure where he got the one he used but it looks heavy duty! (Can't find the install document for your Truxxx 1.5" leveling kit.)
Autozone rents one out for a deposit, return within 90 days. Check to make sure one is available.
Actually I just got a spring compressor. My father-in-law recently passed away, he was a truck driver and mechanic, me and some other relatives went shopping for tools in his basement and I picked up some things I didn't have. Got a big air compressor too and now I can get that air ratchet I've been wanting. ? Arthritis in my hands isn't getting any better.

Thanks for the links.

Reactions: R_B

R_B

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired
Actually I just got a spring compressor. My father-in-law recently passed away, he was a truck driver and mechanic, me and some other relatives went shopping for tools in his basement and I picked up some things I didn't have. Got a big air compressor too and now I can get that air ratchet I've been wanting. ? Arthritis in my hands isn't getting any better.

Thanks for the links.
I found the website with the lift kit online but was not able to find the installation instructions.
It looks like a simple 1 piece kit with the part attaching on top of the coil over. You should not have to remove the spring, thus not needing the spring compressor. Pop it on top, add some blue Loctite, attach the nuts and torque to specs. Sounds so easy, right! :whew:
I pray your arthritis gets better. I try to use all of the breaker bars, air ratchets or electric impact guns that I can during removal. It helps keep the pain down. Take care, Robert

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
I highly suggest pulling the axle nut... Just removing the OEM strut assem is enough to pop the axle.. Installing with a spacer is even more sketch. There simply isnt enough room, no bungee chord is going to help.... And then you go from a quick install to a really long day or coming out of pocket hundreds, or more.

OP
OP
JohnnyO

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I highly suggest pulling the axle nut... Just removing the OEM strut assem is enough to pop the axle.. Installing with a spacer is even more sketch. There simply isnt enough room, no bungee chord is going to help.... And then you go from a quick install to a really long day or coming out of pocket hundreds, or more.
Do you just press it out of the hub and press the hub back on when you’re done? What is the torque spec for the hub? I remember on my old truck it was like 180 ft/lb. I’ll have to make sure my torque wrench goes that high. Heck, I only weigh 180 lb. :giggle:

R_B

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired
Hey Johnny, I know you asked Utah_Bound the question. He might be away from the computer for awhile. Wheel hub nut Torque: 221 lb.ft (300 Nm) Need a 250 lb. ft. torque wrench I believe.
Torque Specs on page 27.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-18000-R.PDF

On youtube, Harles Garage also has a good video. From here to about 3:45 seconds this guy shows how he pops it out.
Sponsored