Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase

Watched this extremely good video that answered a crapload of suspension questions I had, but am left with one question. In it he says a lift doesn't do as much for providing clearance as adjusting the control arms - mostly adjusting the lower control arm and then sourcing an upper control arm to match the new position.

So I guess my dumb question is - do lower control arms have a degree of adjustability? Because I'm not seeing anyone make after market LCA's except APG and while cool, I don't want to add 6 inches width and $10,000 kit to it. I just want to squeeze in 35s eventually or at least understand this part of things a bit better. I get it, a lift will eventually get it there but I also don't want 6 inches of lift. I'm just not that guy.

Incidentally this guy makes a lot of really incredible videos. Watch this one if you've ever wondered what's going on with various shocks. Very educational.

Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Not adjustable for height/tire clearance.

The lowers have eccentrics to adjust caster and camber.

The LCA's actually pull the tire inwards with a front end lift. A new cradle to lower the LCA mounting points or longer LCA's are needed to prevent that.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
hunh, okay. thanks.
If anything I'm curious as to what you may be doing offroad that would have you worried about it? I myself have the Old Man EMU lift and and still have all the factory control arms. I was still able to get the alignment into specifications and I dont have any issues both On Road and Off Road.

OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to squeeze in 35s eventually, or at least understand this part of things a bit better. I get it, a big lift will eventually get it there but I'm just not that guy. If I can do it with 3 inch lift and a little forward shuffle it would be preferable. Watching the video, the guy there seemed to suggest that was the better way to approach it, so was asking.
Sponsored