Label comparison Motorcraft synblend vs Amazon basics full syn....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As I'm sure @P. A. Schilke will join this in time he will have good input in this.

My thoughts are simple. Ford knows what they are doing. If thier oil wasnt up to snuff they wouldnt have it. If it calls for Synthetic blend(thier particular formula) as a minimum then run it. If you want to run Full Synthetic then run the Ford Full Synthetic.

Ford already states that Full Synthetic is not required unless you are in extreme cold climate(-20°F).

Will running a differnt oil ruin the engine? Well if it does not meet Fords specifications then it is possible but then again hiw do you know if the oil meets Fords specifications?

With that said just run the Ford Motocraft Oil.
Hi Chris,

This question of oil bubbled up long before Ecoboost motors. It was when Mobile 1 was claiming 25,000 miles between oil changes and Ford was at 3 to 5,000. So we tried to extend to 7500 miles but did not like the teardown results with unsatisfactory wear. Then looking at performance and cost, Ford developed a Semi Synthetic that they felt was cost effective and would allow newer engines to go to 7500 mile oil change interval...so all new engines were tested to this oil specification. As far as change interval, the program and Engineering have to agree to the interval and then test to this criteria. If Engine Engineering finds satisfactory results the that is what is published for the vehicle platform. So Semi Synthetic is the design parameter for Ranger. If you wish to run full synthetic and it meets or exceeds Ford specs....go for it...

Make sense?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Chris,

This question of oil bubbled up long before Ecoboost motors. It was when Mobile 1 was claiming 25,000 miles between oil changes and Ford was at 3 to 5,000. So we tried to extend to 7500 miles but did not like the teardown results with unsatisfactory wear. Then looking at performance and cost, Ford developed a Semi Synthetic that they felt was cost effective and would allow newer engines to go to 7500 mile oil change interval...so all new engines were tested to this oil specification. As far as change interval, the program and Engineering have to agree to the interval and then test to this criteria. If Engine Engineering finds satisfactory results the that is what is published for the vehicle platform. So Semi Synthetic is the design parameter for Ranger. If you wish to run full synthetic and it meets or exceeds Ford specs....go for it...

Make sense?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I've always wondered how oil brands make claims on oil change intervals - how do they know that their oil meets the change interval for all engines out there on the road? Especially at 25,000 miles? Seems like it's a good way to get sued but I'm sure those big companies have a strong team of lawyers to figure that out.

OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
Personally Im going 5k on full syn changes ....viscosity hanging in there is one thing but acids,fuel dilution,contaminents etc are another .....

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Hi Chris,

Make sense?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
At the place where I worked in the 1970’s we had a lab tech that bought the Mobil 1 hype. He had a Jeep pickup with a V-8 and decided to treat it to Mobil 1.
As the miles added up we tried to warn him that 25,000 miles way too many before changing the oil. He just would not believe us until his engine locked up solid. He ended up pulling the engine for a rebuild. I remember he even used the trunk of our department‘s Plymouth Fury to transport the block to the machine shop!
Sponsored