First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger FX4, 17 Subaru BRZ Yellow, 11 Evora
Occupation
Manager
Looking at adding a roof rack with lights. The KC M Rack looks to be good quality and have everything. I noticed KC lists them as discontinued. Does anyone have any experience with these? Discontinued due to issues or just did not sell due to the price point? Looks like there still may be some new stock out in the wild to get.
Sponsored

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Looks killer.... Got a side view photo?

OP
OP
Grady

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manager
Looks killer.... Got a side view photo?
Here you go.

Changed my mind on wiring so probably bee next weekend on powering them up. I got the Stedi switch panel. Going to go ahead and get a relay box instead of doing separate relays. Still working in my head on a dual battery setup.

B4186AF0-B261-491C-9286-6FC2110B3673.jpeg

OP
OP
Grady

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manager
finishing out the wiring Today. Relay box mounted.

2174DA0B-39C0-4589-B6D2-AE5FB46B703E.jpeg
9B530638-FF77-4300-AF65-E314B88C1250.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Interesting relay box, what brand is it?

V1KT3R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Ok took a while but got all the parts to complete.

887F3871-5C9C-445B-910D-64D94107D405.jpeg

I have been looking at this myself recently. I actually ordered one with the LED bar and then they contacted me saying there was a mistake on their website and they no longer offer it. They claimed to have discontinued it due to wind noise and now only offer the setup you have there for a little over a grand more. I am looking into buying just the the rack now and seeing if a Rough Country LED bar will fit it. I could care less about wind noise cause I am typically running with sirens or my system up.

OP
OP
Grady

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manager
I have been looking at this myself recently. I actually ordered one with the LED bar and then they contacted me saying there was a mistake on their website and they no longer offer it. They claimed to have discontinued it due to wind noise and now only offer the setup you have there for a little over a grand more. I am looking into buying just the the rack now and seeing if a Rough Country LED bar will fit it. I could care less about wind noise cause I am typically running with sirens or my system up.
I was wanting the bar also but found out it is impossible to find the curved bar. Thought I found one but when it arrived it was straight. This whole system was hard to source right now. Each part was purchased from different source. The M rack itself was a pain! First one that came in they had the wrong part number, I received a F150 M rack. 2nd one came it the box was broken up and all the hardware and cross bars were missing. Finally the 3rd one was correct with all the parts.

Rick-O

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Crew Cab XL FX4
Occupation
Video Producer
Vehicle Showcase
I love your setup. I ordered the M-rack without the lights. I received the rack but the parts didn't fit. apparently they sent the right packaging but packed it with a Chevy Colorado kit. Potential buyers be careful not to drill before confirming it all lines up correctly. I have the replacement one they sent and it looks like it will line up. I'm just concerned the tabs on the rack that the screws go through to mount to the roof are bent too much. I'm holding on the install for now as I am getting a bit of cold feet on this purchase...
Grady, I'd love to know your thoughts on a few things...
  • Did you have any issues mounting yours?
  • I want to get lights down the road, but I cant spring the $1700 price for a light setup right now. Do you think it could mount squarely without lights fine? The KC rep tells me I need to mount lights to make it line up.
  • I was surprised by the thin metal and light weight. Strong enough put a wheel/tire and a couple of Plano boxes with gear on it once mounted? Maybe a RTT down the road?
  • Is wind noise bad?
My truck for reference.
IMG_8115.jpg

This one is the correct rack, some tabs bend up quite a bit. maybe by design?
IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg

Try guessing which is for a Ford Ranger!
IMG_8127.jpg

(answer: right side is for the Ranger)

Last edited:

V1KT3R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
I was wanting the bar also but found out it is impossible to find the curved bar. Thought I found one but when it arrived it was straight. This whole system was hard to source right now. Each part was purchased from different source. The M rack itself was a pain! First one that came in they had the wrong part number, I received a F150 M rack. 2nd one came it the box was broken up and all the hardware and cross bars were missing. Finally the 3rd one was correct with all the parts.

Mine just came in, how did you tell you had the wrong one at first? I need to open and check mine. I ended up buying a 50 inch curved light bar from rough country that I am gonna make fit the rack, but I got KC's side lights and rear chase bar.

OP
OP
Grady

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manager
  • Did you have any issues mounting yours?
  • I want to get lights down the road, but I cant spring the $1700 price for a light setup right now. Do you think it could mount squarely without lights fine? The KC rep tells me I need to mount lights to make it line up.
  • I was surprised by the thin metal and light weight. Strong enough put a wheel/tire and a couple of Plano boxes with gear on it once mounted? Maybe a RTT down the road?
  • Is wind noise bad?
My truck for reference.
IMG_8115.jpg
No problems installing you will need help. the roof around the B pillar is hard! I ended up grinding that hole with a carbide bit to complete. It wiped out my Snap On uniBit.

I do not see an issue getting it square without the light bar. I had my light bar installed and could not get it square. It looks like I got the right side about 1/16 farther fwd.

Once mounted it is sturdy. Should be fine holding all of that.

I did not notice any additional noise. Was told that is why they discontinued the curved bar to much wind noise.

Nice choice on topper!

Rick-O

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Video Producer
Vehicle Showcase
No problems installing you will need help. the roof around the B pillar is hard! I ended up grinding that hole with a carbide bit to complete. It wiped out my Snap On uniBit.

I do not see an issue getting it square without the light bar. I had my light bar installed and could not get it square. It looks like I got the right side about 1/16 farther fwd.

Once mounted it is sturdy. Should be fine holding all of that.

I did not notice any additional noise. Was told that is why they discontinued the curved bar to much wind noise.

Nice choice on topper!
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll keep some extra drill bits on hand. I also bought a new step up bitset, it might come in handy.
I'll see if I can get it squared up. I recently laid it on the floor and realigned everything to hopefully help with the final alignment.Good info on that curved bar, I was wondering why mine looked different from the picture the site I ordered from.

Thanks again.

Rick-O

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Video Producer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine just came in, how did you tell you had the wrong one at first? I need to open and check mine. I ended up buying a 50 inch curved light bar from rough country that I am gonna make fit the rack, but I got KC's side lights and rear chase bar.
I noticed the problem when I laid the rack on the roof of my truck. None of the tabs that have the holes where the bolts go through the roof lined up. (see photo of the wrong rack on a Ranger)...notice the hole falls to the inside of the roof, away from the channel.

Also, I see that the light bar width on the KC site says the 50" light bar for the Ranger is actually 51.625". Keep us posted on that bar and the fitment.

IMG_8096.jpg

Rick-O

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Video Producer
Vehicle Showcase
V1KT3R, Did you install that light bar?
Sponsored