Is this true? MUST finish drain and refill in 10 mins or RISK involved

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Some modern diesel engines still have this problem. For example, MTU (think very large 1500+ HP engines) still requires a pre-lube procedure to be completed after any oil change and furthermore, the oil filters are installed in a downward sloping angle so the oil runs out of them when the engine is off. This is especially a concern for generator setups that sit without running for long periods of time. In fact, MTU’s own engineering team states that if the engine isn’t started and ran at least every 30 days, the main bearings will likely fail when and if the engine starts on its own due to a grid power loss. In fact, we had an engine powering a 2 megawatt generator end with less than two hours of run time do this at a hospital. Blew a hole right in the side of the block when it threw the rod. That’s a $1.5 million dollar mistake.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Levi,

I have always filled the new oil filter before installing, pouring the fresh oil in the filter from the "outside" set of holes, but with the 5G Ranger where it is sideways, I think I will install dry. Will have to see in the owners manual if this is covered. I do know that the filter is installed dry at the engine plant but do not know if the engine is cranked over without starting during "hot test"..before switching on the PCM function... My CAT C7 does say to install dry, but I fill it anyways as it is a 2 qt filter...Quite heavy to hold up and install . Really liked the days when all the motors took an FL1 filter...These dinky little fliters do the job, but always wondered if bigger is better....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil -

I filled mine about halfway before installing it and even though it is sideways it worked fine. I've changed my oil myself for years and only within the last few years have started filling the filter. Never thought about it before and heard about it and it makes a lot of sense to get the oil thru the system faster.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Hi Levi,

I have always filled the new oil filter before installing, pouring the fresh oil in the filter from the "outside" set of holes, but with the 5G Ranger where it is sideways, I think I will install dry. Will have to see in the owners manual if this is covered. I do know that the filter is installed dry at the engine plant but do not know if the engine is cranked over without starting during "hot test"..before switching on the PCM function... My CAT C7 does say to install dry, but I fill it anyways as it is a 2 qt filter...Quite heavy to hold up and install . Really liked the days when all the motors took an FL1 filter...These dinky little fliters do the job, but always wondered if bigger is better....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
If you quickly fill the center of the filter up with oil and let that soak in for a few min, you can screw it on w/o it spilling out, and a few min after that the oil will start to fill back into the filter hole on engine.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you quickly fill the center of the filter up with oil and let that soak in for a few min, you can screw it on w/o it spilling out, and a few min after that the oil will start to fill back into the filter hole on engine.
Hi Chuck,

Really not a good idea to fill via the center hole. Oil comes into the filter through the circle of little holes and out the bearings through the center hole. Pouring fresh oil through the circle of oil means if there was even the slightest contamination with dirt, etc, the filter medium traps it.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Levi,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

My last new vehicle,a 2015 ram promaster city wagon,I ran royal purple AND their microfiber filter. Had the oil changed once a year,and it was still very very clean. Cleaner than any other oil/filter combo I had tried. And yes,that includes Mobile 1 full synth.

This time around I will go with all Amsoil/filters. Eng,trans/transfer case/front and rear diffs. When I was a kid back on the dairy farm we had a sayin',"grease is cheaper than parts". I imagine I will get the engine oil/filter done this jan.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Just an FYI I found. My whole adult vehicle owning life I ALWAYS did my own oil changes but it was a leap of faith to begin with anyway - going with this engine as I have always been a Chevy V8 Guy. Had my Avalanche 15 years, but I really like my Ranger. My XLT came with 3 years of oil changes at no cost to me (That I know of) It wasn't on the contract to purchase I signed. When I questioned it and said I would rather have the $398 they charged back to service for it they said they backed out of their cost and it was a present to me, no charge. Use it or not, no difference. So with 6-7 quarts of mobile 1 and a oil filter is on them for awhile... :^)
I NEVER use the free LOF coupons the stealership gives me when I buy, when I bought my '09 Ram it was a little coupon book so I passed it along to a friend who had a newer Jeep. As others have said way too many hacks make it past human resources and have free license to f-up your vehicle. I've ranted about how sloppy they are in previous threads so I'm gonna stop here about that.
To my knowledge none of the ford dealers will use anything but motorcraft filters which IMO are not that bad. What I'm not a fan of is the blended motorcraft oil they want to put in it I believe I read that its actually citgo? So if your stealership is telling you they are putting mobil 1 in it I'd recommend verifying that, sounds fishy to me..

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Yeah, I was injured twice in Iraq, both were bad but the last did me in. I have pins in my spine,2 spinal cord simulators, and tore up muscles. Some weird nerve damage that never worked out, so it takes a little effort to do things. I use to just get stuff done, now I have to work smart to work less. So even though my age is not bad yet, I understand what you mean.
I double what Dropper said. I was injured also but nothing even close to what viperwolf has endured. God bless you viperwolf !
Sponsored