Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Most tire shops wont patch your tire. It is outside of the narrow "can patch area" dicktated by gov. I would try the plug for a while. If it still leaks go around to some small independent shops and find someone that will patch it on the inside with a combination patch plug.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
I've always put a plug kit in all our vehicles trunks for emergency use . While out of state the wife's Mercedes had a puncture in the rear tire in about the same spot as the OP here and the tire shop said they could not fix it that close to the sidewall . They wanted $340 for a new tire so I plugged it right there and put air in it with the 12v compressor that Mercedes puts in the trunk . 40k miles later and she about needs new tires now so it held up fine . I have a plug in my old '91 ranger that is 2 years old and will last until I put new tires on later next year .
For a while my wife's GLA had three tires with plugs, was a dry wall screw magnet. Got new tires after a while, had to save up for $400 Michelin run flat tires.

Used plugs on my Harley and FZ1 Yammy rear tires (not front!) when needed.

All about risk comfort. Some are still wearing masks while in their car...

Be safe!

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Remember to check the cement is still good periodically!
Thanks. I'm use to doing that here where everything dries up so fast because of the heat. I'm about to move all my detailing products into the front closet because the garage will be well over 110 through mid September. The tire plugs should be nice and easy to use all warmed up in my truck. lol

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
My pre-Ranger truck had 2 screws , 1 in each rear tire , that I simply backed out , black sealer, and drove back in below the treadline , one I had to go up a size I believe , at least 3 years ago , never leaked ... still in there for current owner I imagine...

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
This thread convinced me to get a plug kit to go with my compressor when I get bigger tires, since using the oem size spare at that point might damage the differential.
If you do get bigger tires, consider replacing the spare with a matching wheel/tire - no, I will not send you the $400 this will cost. ?

If you keep the spare, there will be no differential issues if the flat’s on the front and you stay out of 4WD. If the rear flats, put a front wheel on the rear and the spare on the front and stay out of 4WD.

PITA? Yes, but it’s the best work around if you can’t fix the tire on the spot.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
If you do get bigger tires, consider replacing the spare with a matching wheel/tire - no, I will not send you the $400 this will cost. ?

If you keep the spare, there will be no differential issues if the flat’s on the front and you stay out of 4WD. If the rear flats, put a front wheel on the rear and the spare on the front and stay out of 4WD.

Haven't had mine down but was wondering ? if the Ranger will hold a bigger spare , or is the indent for it pretty well maxed...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Haven't had mine down but was wondering ? if the Ranger will hold a bigger spare , or is the indent for it pretty well maxed...
I know it will hold at least one size larger. I went up to 265/70/17 and it holds my spare no problem.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a lot of room. It easily holds my 275/70R17 and I’ve heard folks have stuffed larger tires up there.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

This...

Also, our diffs are open. A mismatch in diameter to get home shouldn't cause any problems.