Occupation
Engineering

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Came across this product and I have to say it’s well thought out and I even saw a video of a guy using it as a boat. https://getflated.com/products/air-topper?variant=40058622148776
Interesting idea. Might come in handy for temporary use to keep cargo dry but, as people with soft-top Jeeps have learned, don't keep anything of value in it if it is parked "on the street".
Good in concept. Bad in execution. Found a video a few months back showing how bad they leak in rain.

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Good in concept. Bad in execution. Found a video a few months back showing how bad they leak in rain.

I guess the latest versions they fixed a lot of that. The link I posted has about 5 different videos of the product and what’s been done with the feedback they got

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I guess the latest versions they fixed a lot of that. The link I posted has about 5 different videos of the product and what’s been done with the feedback they got
If they improved as they claim then I'd be interested. Someone needs to be a test guinea pig.

I also like the Softopper. That way I could have a topper for camping etc and my hard folding tonneau the rest of the time.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Duuuuuuudes!

Imagine the burnouts you could do if you filled it with helium!
You would have to put NASCAR style spoilers on the truck to keep the rear end on the ground...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I also like the Softopper. That way I could have a topper for camping etc and my hard folding tonneau the rest of the time.
I considered this when I was deciding on bed coverings.

Ultimately I did not go this route as it would've required investing in expensive parts that weren't designed to work together and modifying both them and my truck permanently in the hopes it would work. There's no way to mount the tracks for both systems, as designed, at the same time. It would require drilling and mounting one or both. I'm pretty sure it could work but ultimately I found another option.

Security is not a big concern for me, so I went with a combo soft tonneau/soft topper from FasTop. Cheaper, and if it didn't work it wasn't up to me to figure it out. If it interests you, I have a thread here on it.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I considered this when I was deciding on bed coverings.

Ultimately I did not go this route as it would've required investing in expensive parts that weren't designed to work together and modifying both them and my truck permanently in the hopes it would work. There's no way to mount the tracks for both systems, as designed, at the same time. It would require drilling and mounting one or both. I'm pretty sure it could work but ultimately I found another option.

Security is not a big concern for me, so I went with a combo soft tonneau/soft topper from FasTop. Cheaper, and if it didn't work it wasn't up to me to figure it out. If it interests you, I have a thread here on it.
I was looking at Softopper before I got my hard cover. Yes I would have to use one or the other, no combining the two. I looked at FasTop also but since I already have a hard cover that would be like buying two covers to get the soft topper.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I was looking at Softopper before I got my hard cover. Yes I would have to use one or the other, no combining the two. I looked at FasTop also but since I already have a hard cover that would be like buying two covers to get the soft topper.
I think a hard roll up, not folding, could be made to work with a SofTopper. But it would take some work.

For me the topper is basically just used for transporting my mutts. Having the ability to switch back and forth is nice.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I think a hard roll up, not folding, could be made to work with a SofTopper. But it would take some work.

For me the topper is basically just used for transporting my mutts. Having the ability to switch back and forth is nice.
If I would have seen the Fastop before I got my hard top then I might have bought it. I think it came out about the same time or shortly after I bought my ranger. It's a usable design. If I found a buyer for my hard cover, then I'd look more into Fastop.

With the Softopper, I will have to detach the hard cover rails before it could be installed.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
With the Softopper, I will have to detach the hard cover rails before it could be installed.
Maybe.

If your hardcover rails clamp in the inner part of the bed rails you might be able to drill and mount the Softopper rails on the bedside. It would require some finagling but depending on the hard cover it could be done.

I will say this for anybody comparing the SofTopper/BesTop solutions with the FasTop. If you prioritize the Topper go with the SofTopper/BesTop. My FasTop is nice, but the standalone units fit so snug they almost look like a hard shell from afar. They are VERY nice.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
There is more info on this here.
One of the inventors, @FLATED Guy was on here but hasn't been around for a year.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score