OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Really makes you wonder what it cost to manufacturer vs what they charge.

Click Here (this is one example of many located on this website)

Take careful note of the core design, placement of locks, etc etc

How about how its delivered? Modular eh?

Look familiar? lol

Would love to see them side by side to really give some insight into quality and/or construction.
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry, but is this post like a conversation with one person?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry, but is this post like a conversation with one person?

It is more of tongue in cheek to maybe get people to research and consider how they feed the consumer machine. The current pricing trend for off-road products is a self imposed wound.

That and yes, random thread is random. I thought it was interesting when I stumbled upon it. Why its in off-topic vs exteriod mods sub section.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It is more of tongue in cheek to maybe get people to research and consider how they feed the consumer machine. The current pricing trend for off-road products is a self imposed wound.

That and yes, random thread is random. I thought it was interesting when I stumbled upon it. Why its in off-topic vs exteriod mods sub section.

When you don't spend time designing, engineering, and creating a manufacturing process for a product, you can charge significantly less. I also can't imagine the quality on Alibaba is high. Take quality out though, and all they've done is stolen the design from another company. Doing that allows you to save a ridiculous amount of money on R&D. Not all cost is associated with the product itself.

Do I think the RSI is overpriced? Yes, but its priced commonly with other toppers (regular, not fancy metal ones).

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
When you don't spend time designing, engineering, and creating a manufacturing process for a product, you can charge significantly less. I also can't imagine the quality on Alibaba is high. Take quality out though, and all they've done is stolen the design from another company. Doing that allows you to save a ridiculous amount of money on R&D. Not all cost is associated with the product itself.

Do I think the RSI is overpriced? Yes, but its priced commonly with other toppers (regular, not fancy metal ones).
Devils advocate, who was creating this style of modular topper first? How do we know its not the other way around?

Also you'd be surprised some of the quality you can get from there, further more that is exactly where American vendors get it (China) and repackage it. So I am not sure why this age old reasoning keeps coming up about the quality from these websites. I'm not pro-China by any means, but I am not going to pretend a spade isn't a spade because "America!"

I won't argue about IP rip-off's though, that is just a part of that culture.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Devils advocate, who was creating this style of modular topper first? How do we know its not the other way around?

Also you'd be surprised some of the quality you can get from there, further more that is exactly where American vendors get it (China) and repackage it. So I am not sure why this age old reasoning keeps coming up about the quality from these websites. I'm not pro-China by any means, but I am not going to pretend a spade isn't a spade because "America!"

I won't argue about IP rip-off's though, that is just a part of that culture.
I believe in a world market. I don't believe in 'buy American' just because its American. Buying American, just for the sake of buying American, just means paying more for things.

Buy this and tell me if the quality is worth $4000 (I'm sure the quality is sub $800, but does it live up to the RSI price quality?).

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I believe in a world market. I don't believe in 'buy American' just because its American. Buying American, just for the sake of buying American, just means paying more for things.

Buy this and tell me if the quality is worth $4000 (I'm sure the quality is sub $800, but does it live up to the RSI price quality?).
How about we get enough members to pull $50 each and let's do this haha

I personally have no use for a topper due to my current setup but I sure would like to take a look at it just to see what the deal is.
Sponsored