How to format a flash drive for the best quality of music?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I copied all my individual Amazon mp3 music files directly to a PNY 16GB Flash Drive without formatting it and its plays the music OK on my audio system.

But I am wondering which is the best choice of the 3 formats to use for the best music sound quality?
1. NTFS
2. FAT32
3. exFAT

Am assuming it would be either 2. or 3?

Also, is there any preference as to the Allocation unit size selection choice?

If anyone has any other suggestions about copying music to a Flash Drive for the best sound quality it would be appreciated.

Regards,
Paul
Sponsored

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
The formats you mentioned do not change the quality of the music files. I would stay with NTFS it is the newer file system on the list and does not have the file size limits that the other two do. For example large single files such as video files and greater than a GB each. Not something to really worry about for music. They are file storage systems but not in the way you are thinking of for music.

Allocation size and such, leave to defaults unless you really know what you are doing else asking for trouble.

Music formats like mp3, AAC, FLAC, OGG do have the ability to determine the quality of the music stored in them based on how they compress the music. FLAC being closer to the best of near lossless, then OGG and AAC. While the others are lossy and drop data points to reduce file size. MP3 being the least quality unless recorded near 300 kbps.

OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The formats you mentioned do not change the quality of the music files. I would stay with NTFS it is the newer file system on the list and does not have the file size limits that the other two do. For example large single files such as video files and greater than a GB each. Not something to really worry about for music. They are file storage systems but not in the way you are thinking of for music.

Allocation size and such, leave to defaults unless you really know what you are doing else asking for trouble.

Music formats like mp3, AAC, FLAC, OGG do have the ability to determine the quality of the music stored in them based on how they compress the music. FLAC being closer to the best of near lossless, then OGG and AAC. While the others are lossy and drop data points to reduce file size. MP3 being the least quality unless recorded near 300 kbps.
So you are saying that the only change preferred from the way I copied the files to the Flash Drive is to choose the NTFS selection? Should I do a Quick format or a complete format before copying these files again? Thanks.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
doesn't really matter. unlike the previous poster I'd use exfat if I had to pick one, ntfs is too complex for thumbdrives. exfat does not have an practical limits on file size. it's also newer than ntfs (not that it matters). there is never a reason to do a "full format" unless you're trying to use it as a lazy data wipe.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
doesn't really matter. unlike the previous poster I'd use exfat if I had to pick one, ntfs is too complex for thumbdrives. exfat does not have an practical limits on file size. it's also newer than ntfs (not that it matters). there is never a reason to do a "full format" unless you're trying to use it as a lazy data wipe.
Same, exfat would be my choice. The fact that Ford recommends using this format for Sync upgrades via USB says something.

OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Same, exfat would be my choice. The fact that Ford recommends using this format for Sync upgrades via USB says something.
Thanks for the input. Will the exfat choice give a popup that I need a damper? :LOL:

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Thanks for the input. Will the exfat choice give a popup that I need a damper? :LOL:
Only if Dave @AzScorpion preps your USB stick. Then who knows what tunes he might add along with a damper beat. I’m guessing “Who let the dogs out”

OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Last edited:

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I use exfat also. The only problem: some other older cars that read USB don't recognize exfat. If anyone wants to occasionally stick your USB in something old to play, it's probably better to use NTFS. All my CDs are ripped to MP3 at 320kbps using CDex (free). I don't use Ogg, Flac or other lossless codecs for compatability reasons and their improvement is minimal anyway.

Though most of the time I'm just listening to Spotify premium, which streams at 320kbps. It's an improvement over free spotify that is 160kpbs And a super massive improvement over satellite radio that is pretty much the lowest form of hi-fi possible, sometimes 64kbps. Damn satellite radio sucks.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I use exfat also. The only problem: some other older cars that read USB don't recognize exfat. If anyone wants to occasionally stick your USB in something old to play, it's probably better to use NTFS. All my CDs are ripped to MP3 at 320kbps using CDex (free). I don't use Ogg, Flac or other lossless codecs for compatability reasons and their improvement is minimal anyway.

Though most of the time I'm just listening to Spotify premium, which streams at 320kbps. It's an improvement over free spotify that is 160kpbs And a super massive improvement over satellite radio that is pretty much the lowest form of hi-fi possible, sometimes 64kbps. Damn satellite radio sucks.
If you have something that won't read exfat there's a good chance it won't read ntfs either; fat would be the way to go for maximum compatibility (and also a relatively small thumbdrive because you may run into problems there as well). Realistically, the 4G fat file size limit isn't going to be a factor for audio files, especially on a 4G or 8G drive.
Sponsored