Hot Weather Performance

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Hi Jack,

The unrealistic numbers are from the Federal government created test procedure. To publish other numbers is a violation of Federal law.

Best,
Phil
Phil you may well know that a Federal judge in 2019 dismissed a $1.2B class action suit against Ford related to mpg estimates for the F-150 and Ranger (link below) making these comments :

"Regardless, Judge Sean F. Cox agreed with Ford’s argument that the lawsuit and its claims must be dismissed because they’re preempted under federal law, and for the fact that “EPA fuel economy estimates are not, and have never been, guarantees of real-world fuel economy performance.” The judge agreed and noted that mileage will vary. “Ratings are a useful tool for comparing the fuel economies of different vehicles but may not accurately predict the average [miles per gallon] you will get,” Cox said."

The EPA has revised those tests multiple times to attempt greater accuracy but the nos are estimates and have always been intended as a guideline - mostly for comparison purposes with other vehicles. People who expect these numbers to reflect their individual results I think have unrealistic expectations and it's a common complaint on these type of sites. Also to add I believe that the tests might be conducted using non ethanol blended fuel - which does make a difference.

There have been some cases - most notably Hyundai/KIA that knowingly falsified the test results and they received a hefty fine, I own one such vehicle and get a gas card reimbursement for the falsification.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/02/ford-fuel-economy-class-action-lawsuit-dismissed/

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If you had done things in a scientific way where you could legitimately attribute the changes to locking out the gear sure I would concede that point but from an engineering and mathematical standpoint based on facts and quantifiable data you are barking up the wrong tree, it is simple lower gear means higher revs which means more fuel consumption if we are both going 70 and you are in 9th gear and i am in 10th all other factors constant I am gonna use less fuel because less rpm means fewer combustion cycles hence lower fuel use If you are constantly accelerating (using the physics definition not the normal ppl one) yes you will use more fuel because acceleration requires energy so constantly braking speeding up weaving in and out will all use more gas because you need more energy to maintain your speed due to your velocity changes that isn't cause of the transmission its cause of your driving style
I tested my theory last fall as scientifically as I could. While I don't lock out gears, I use tow mode, I believe the results would be similar.

What you are forgetting in your theorization is load. Efficiency depends on load just as much as rpm and speed.

My testing was done on 3 consecutive tanks with the same drives and driver.

17k miles

Lifted on E-Rated 33"s. Otherwise stock.

Hand calculated mileage accross entire tanks. All filled at the same pump, stopped at first click off. All tanks were Colorado premium, 91 octane.

Tank driven in D= 16.15 mpg

Tank driven in Tow= 17.69 mpg

Tank driven in S= 15.56 mpg
The factory shift logic in D is quite horrible if you actually drive your vehicle. It is much more efficient to lightly roll onto the throttle when you need to accelerate. If the vehicle is in the proper gear you can do so. With the factory shift logic in D that is impossible. Since the truck wants to lug around at 1300 rpm, well outside of the power band, anytime a slight bit of acceleration is needed or load is increased you're dumping fuel in. Hit a hill at 1300 rpm in any gear and the load is going to sink you. You'll need to mash the skinny pedal to maintain speed, forcing multiple downshifts and much higher rpm, while under more load. Same thing when the speed limit jumps 10 mph, try to accelerate and you're going to initiate a downshift.

I'm talking from a driveability AND MPG standpoint here. I'm not even going to get into the fact that driving around in 8th gear at 1200 rpm and 45mph is not good on an engine.

The ten speed isn't overkill IMHO, as others think. But it's shift logic in D as delivered by Ford is borderline retarded when paired with a small displacement boosted engine.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tested my theory last fall as scientifically as I could. While I don't lock out gears, I use tow mode, I believe the results would be similar.

What you are forgetting in your theorization is load. Efficiency depends on load just as much as rpm and speed.

My testing was done on 3 consecutive tanks with the same drives and driver.

The factory shift logic in D is quite horrible if you actually drive your vehicle. It is much more efficient to lightly roll onto the throttle when you need to accelerate. If the vehicle is in the proper gear you can do so. With the factory shift logic in D that is impossible. Since the truck wants to lug around at 1300 rpm, well outside of the power band, anytime a slight bit of acceleration is needed or load is increased you're dumping fuel in. Hit a hill at 1300 rpm in any gear and the load is going to sink you. You'll need to mash the skinny pedal to maintain speed, forcing multiple downshifts and much higher rpm, while under more load. Same thing when the speed limit jumps 10 mph, try to accelerate and you're going to initiate a downshift.

I'm talking from a driveability AND MPG standpoint here. I'm not even going to get into the fact that driving around in 8th gear at 1200 rpm and 45mph is not good on an engine.

The ten speed isn't overkill IMHO, as others think. But it's shift logic in D as delivered by Ford is borderline retarded when paired with a small displacement boosted engine.
Just this summer I've begun using tow mode when going up hills - as I've experience lugging , which I believe would negatively impact fuel economy and not ideal for the engine. . This started occurring on warmer days with very dry air, this past week with cooler temps and higher humidity the lugging isn't noticeable. I've also relocated to a more hilly area than Denver , elevation around 7,500 in the past year, living in Denver prior to the that never noticed much lugging . Of course if I use more gas pedal the tranny will downshift but have to agree regards your opinion on shift logic - esp when it pertains to hills. I use tow mode going uphill only, turning it off on flat and downhill - we'll see how robust the tow mode button holds up over time.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Just this summer I've begun using tow mode when going up hills - as I've experience lugging , which I believe would negatively impact fuel economy and not ideal for the engine. . This started occurring on warmer days with very dry air, this past week with cooler temps and higher humidity the lugging isn't noticeable. I've also relocated to a more hilly area than Denver , elevation around 7,500 in the past year, living in Denver prior to the that never noticed much lugging . Of course if I use more gas pedal the tranny will downshift but have to agree regards your opinion on shift logic - esp when it pertains to hills. I use tow mode going uphill only, turning it off on flat and downhill - we'll see how robust the tow mode button holds up over time.
I think that for my mixed driving and style I'd do best to take it out of tow mode when I get up above say 50 mph except for hilly terrain. But it's too much of a pain to do so, so I set it and forget it.

I wish the button was on the shifter. Then I'd use tow under 50mph, and turn it off unless needed above. I suspect this is one reason @OFC Ranger prefers to lock gears out. Easier to reach.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Did a few stop and go short trips today in upper 90's temps and then did my usual sport mode to enter the interstate on ramp. It fell on it's nose compared to 70 degree ambient temp days. Guess I'll datalog it sometime with the SCT logger software and see how bad the heat soak is.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that for my mixed driving and style I'd do best to take it out of tow mode when I get up above say 50 mph except for hilly terrain. But it's too much of a pain to do so, so I set it and forget it.

I wish the button was on the shifter. Then I'd use tow under 50mph, and turn it off unless needed above. I suspect this is one reason @OFC Ranger prefers to lock gears out. Easier to reach.
Off topic but I'm amused at all the "new" hockey fans in Denver - a good many I'd wager don't even understand the game. I had a blast yrs back taking the broken down bus from Zang's across I-25 to watch what IIRC were the Rockies play at Mcnichols and even front row seats were cheap.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Off topic but I'm amused at all the "new" hockey fans in Denver - a good many I'd wager don't even understand the game. I had a blast yrs back taking the broken down bus from Zang's across I-25 to watch what IIRC were the Rockies play at Mcnichols and even front row seats were cheap.
Denver has always been full of fake fans. Manning had to quiet the crowd when his offense took the field at Mile High. The fools didn't know you were supposed to be loud when your team plays D and quiet on offense.

Ninda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco TS, 2008 Ranger XLT, 2020 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Traveling Tourist