Hey guys, would a tune installed help with my rough transmission shifts.

OP
OP
Extreme01

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't quite say that it is lugging the engine but more of the natural harmonics of a 4 cylinder. Still annoying but I'm pretty sure it come down to the nature of things.
I hear what you're saying
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I wouldn't quite say that it is lugging the engine but more of the natural harmonics of a 4 cylinder. Still annoying but I'm pretty sure it come down to the nature of things.
There is a lot of truth to this.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I agree. Not actually lugging, but too slow to run smoothly. Iā€™m sure it saves fuel, but it detracts from the drive quality.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I agree. Not actually lugging, but too slow to run smoothly. Iā€™m sure it saves fuel, but it detracts from the drive quality.
That is one of the things I like about the Ford tune. It took a lot of that lugging feeling out. It feels like less of a compromise now.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Sport was too much for daily driving for me.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Yeah my job went full telework and now the truck gets driven like 2 miles at a time through suburban traffic. Transmission loves to hang between 1000-1500 rpm and does that kind of gurgle because the turbo isnā€™t spooling. At least not noticeably.
Once I get it out on 55+ roads, hell, even 40+, the truck is happy as can be. I feel like Iā€™m learning what the transmission likes and doesnā€™t like. I tried sport mode and the shifts were HARD and I didnā€™t like 5000+ rpm just getting up to 40mph. Maybe if I was out on open road but with traffic all around it was a bit much.

either way, thanks for all the feedback. Itā€™s comforting to know it isnā€™t something ā€œwrongā€. Iā€™m definitely going to look at the Ford tune if it bumps those lower RPMs up a little to avoid the gurgle/rumble.

edit: i would also like to note that I remote start the truck to let it warm up every time. The short driving intervals are bad, so I try to give the horse a little more time to gallop(even just sitting warming up).
Sponsored