Help!!!! Dealer forgot coolant Cap!!!

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Need urgent help on what to do. My new ranger was taken in for its 15k service last week.
Today in the way to work it threw a bunch of codes and limp mode.
got it home a few blocks.
Popped hood and the F’ing dealer didn’t put the coolant cap back on last week. No idea what kind of damage is done. Don’t want them to sweep this under the rug. I’m pissed.

what should I demand and look for to ensure they don’t hide the extent of damage done. Needless to say mistakes happen but I have no faith in their honesty.
Sponsored

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
You have a uphill battle, the dealer will probably deny anything just because of the time passed. Have you contacted them at all yet? I always walk around the truck, take a peek under and pop the hood to maker sure everything is in order before driving away.

OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have a uphill battle, the dealer will probably deny anything just because of the time passed. Have you contacted them at all yet?
Cool I’ll find the biggest dbag lawyer that’s on all the cringey billboards if that’s the case. They already tried giving me the run around. No loaner, 3 days for diags, no manager would speak to me until I called back and told them they can deal with me or an attorney. Then the Manager was suddenly available. I’m sorry but I should have to check their work after a simple oil change 6 days later shouldn’t make a difference. This is their f up ?

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I'll start the replies to your question with a question or two. How much coolant remains, if any, or in other words how much did it take to top off? Did it overheat i.e. steam or overflowing hot coolant? Did you have it towed to the dealer or otherwise replenish the coolant and see if codes and limp issue is still present?

OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll start the replies to your question with a question or two. How much coolant remains, if any, or in other words how much did it take to top off? Did it overheat i.e. steam or overflowing hot coolant? Did you have it towed to the dealer or otherwise replenish the coolant and see if codes and limp issue is still present?
No fluid.
Sitting here Waiting on a tow truck
didn’t top anything off. No cap ?‍♂
didn’t replenish, no cap.
not touching shit after I shut it down don’t want the dealer saying I did anything to cause any damage.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
No fluid.
Sitting here Waiting on a tow truck
didn’t top anything off. No cap ?‍♂
didn’t replenish, no cap.
not touching shit after I shut it down don’t want the dealer saying I did anything to cause any damage.
Understood. I would be upset too. Only advise for you at this instant is breath and breath more. Sucks, but you will get through this.
Also, check everything else while you have time. Oil, filter, drain plugs etc., everything.

OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will do thanks man. Yeah I blew a gasket. Me not my truck, I don’t think it has anyways lol.

OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently being towed. The tow guy said this is the 4th or 5th vehicle this week he has taken back to this dealer for something they messed up. Said a lady yesterday got stranded on the interstate a few minutes after leaving for a repair on a new car that took them over a month to fix. Said they forgot to connect a line somewhere and the tranny failed right after she left. Wtf is going on at Ford and their dealers... never heard of complaints like this when I was driving Rams.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Currently being towed. The tow guy said this is the 4th or 5th vehicle this week he has taken back to this dealer for something they messed up. Said a lady yesterday got stranded on the interstate a few minutes after leaving for a repair on a new car that took them over a month to fix. Said they forgot to connect a line somewhere and the tranny failed right after she left. Wtf is going on at Ford and their dealers... never heard of complaints like this when I was driving Rams.
Wow! that is nuts. And he is only one tow truck driver. They have a big problem. Be calm, but be firm and serious. (honestly, I've got a problem following my own advice) Post what happens. Fingers crossed for you.

NJB_Aragorn

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT CC Ranger
ask the tow company for records, if it gets bad you will need them anyway. keep the tow drivers card if he gives it and ask if they can give records of other customers for possible legal action against the dealer. you may want to check r/legaladvice on reddit too.

NJB_Aragorn

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT CC Ranger
also if you have another ford dealer in the area, go there!!!
have them check your truck over, the dealer that is fu***ng up will lie.

Last edited by a moderator:

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
ask the tow company for records, if it gets bad you will need them anyway. keep the tow drivers card if he gives it and ask if they can give records of other customers for possible legal action against the dealer. you may want to check r/legaladvice on reddit too.
Very good advice.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
How far did you drive it after it gave you a light?
Did the gauge top out?
How many miles on the truck?
More than likely, it will be unharmed.
If it turns out OK you could demand an extended warranty anyway.
Sponsored