Hello, question regarding increase in turbo sound.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings Ranger 5G community,

I've been a long-time lurker(about a year now) and can't wait to start making the Ranger my own, just recently purchased a 2019. I plan on using it for some heavy trail riding and will definitely see some nice starry nights under the Sedona and Flagstaff skies. I've been eyeing up the BDS 3.5 CO kit and bigger tires to match, some added chrome features and last but not least some sort of tune to give me back the power after the bigger tires.... but that'll be down the road after the 3 year warranty wears off.

I love the sound the turbo makes when I get on it and want to increase the "whistle" sound of the turbo. I really don't care too much about the "exhaust" sound, as far as I care that can stay the same. So I guess my question is, is there a way to increase this sound without adding a tune(yet)? Id be open to adding an aftermarket exhaust as-well, from what I can tell the manga flow ones have a subtle nice added tone to them, I for sure don't want it to sound ricey or anywhere close to that.

1614351856329.png
The AFE Charge pipes made a huge difference in turbo noise for me.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
For the love of God do not run a K&N style air filter if you're anywhere near dirt/desert/dust of any kind. Your turbo will thank you.

There's a turbo silencer in the hot side charge pipe, and the diverter valve can be "hacked" to become a dump style for "MOAR CHOO CHOO" noises.

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
For the love of God do not run a K&N style air filter if you're anywhere near dirt/desert/dust of any kind. Your turbo will thank you.

There's a turbo silencer in the hot side charge pipe, and the diverter valve can be "hacked" to become a dump style for "MOAR CHOO CHOO" noises.
When you say "K&N filter" are you also referring to the Roush, MIshimotot, and Quantum CAI's??

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Any cotton/fabric oiled filter from anyone.
I’m gonna agree here. I ran one back about 17 years ago with a Sentra SpecV I had and absolutely noticed the oil getting dirtier sooner and I’m nowhere near a dusty environment (near Charlotte, NC). This is a concern I have with getting the Ford tune as I’d rather stick with a non-oiled filter. Any suggestions there or am I simply overreacting with how things are now with filter tech? I want my truck to last a good long while.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes an intake will be on order today... I’m looking at the Roush one for now. I was trying to find a double scoop designed air intake but haven’t found one yet.
I have intake/BOV/filter/exhaust...still can't hear a difference...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I’m gonna agree here. I ran one back about 17 years ago with a Sentra SpecV I had and absolutely noticed the oil getting dirtier sooner and I’m nowhere near a dusty environment (near Charlotte, NC). This is a concern I have with getting the Ford tune as I’d rather stick with a non-oiled filter. Any suggestions there or am I simply overreacting with how things are now with filter tech? I want my truck to last a good long while.
Dirt getting in the oil is trivial compared to constant microscopic dirt particles slapping into the impeller wheel at 250K rpm. It's only a matter of time before the wheel is dull, pitted, and very inefficient.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The best way to hear the turbo is run down pipe without any restrictions such as cat and mufflers...you know this when you hear Rolling Coal next to you...?
Sponsored